I probably should know this, but.....

wezie

Also, what is it called where the captain steers the ship from? What are the chances of getting a tour?

Good Question!!!

I have to admit, I don't know the answer to the rest of your question, but how cool would a tour be? I imagine there are security concerns involved with touring that area?? Not sure. Interested in hearing the answer though...

What do these terms mean?

Aft

Stern

Starboard

PortSide

Also, what is it called where the captain steers the ship from? What are the chances of getting a tour?

Do you mean the Bridge? If so, I have read that due to security concerns they do not do tours.:cool:

Aft = rear of the ship

Starboard = the right side of the ship (assuming you are looking forward)

Port = the left side of the ship

Easy way to remember those two, the word 'port' has 4 letters and the word 'left' has 4 letters.

Stern = I'm not sure, maybe the front?

The captain controls the ship from the bridge - it's the big rectangle room with all the windows approx. deck 10 or so. I think the used to offer tours but haven't on the last few cruises I've been on.

Aft

Stern

Starboard

PortSide

Hopefully I have this all correct... someone will chime in if I'm wrong... I'm sure of it...

Aft = Back of the ship

Stern = Front of the ship

Starboard = Left, non-port side of ship

Portside = Right, port side of the ship where most embarkation takes place (getting on)

Aft = rear of the ship

Starboard = the right side of the ship (assuming you are looking forward)

Port = the left side of the ship

Easy way to remember those two, the word 'port' has 4 letters and the word 'left' has 4 letters.

Stern = I'm not sure, maybe the front?

The captain controls the ship from the bridge - it's the big rectangle room with all the windows approx. deck 10 or so. I think the used to offer tours but haven't on the last few cruises I've been on.

When we were on the Carribean Princess, we were on the left side of the ship and I could have sworn that we were on the Starboard side... but I just looked it up and I am wrong... I so stand corrected....

Aft is a direction or area towards the stern (back) of the ship (e.g. "my cabin is aft").

Stern - is the physical back end of the ship.

Aft is to stern, as forward is to bow (e.g. "my cabin is forward").

Carnival has discontinued tours of the bridge due to current International security regulations.

Hopefully I have this all correct... someone will chime in if I'm wrong... I'm sure of it...

Aft = Back of the ship

Stern = Front of the ship

Starboard = Left, non-port side of ship

Portside = Right, port side of the ship where most embarkation takes place (getting on)

Aft and Stern both mean the back of the boat. Fore or bow would be the front of the ship.

Here is some shipboard terminology for you...

• The Stern is the back of the ship
  • Aft is more a direction than a location, and means toward the stern.
  • Fore is the opposite of Aft, and means toward the bow.
  • The Bow is the front of the ship
  • The Port side is the left
  • The Starboard side is the right.
  • The Bridge is where the Captain controls the ship
  • A Wake is the turbulence in the water where the ship has just passed
  • A Bow Wave is the water pushed aside by the front of the ship when moving at speed, and what the dolphins usually ride
  • Lee is the side of the ship away from the wind.
  • Windward is the side toward the wind.
  • A List is a tilt of the ship to one side - usually a bad thing ;)
  • The Infirmary is the doctor's office and sick ward
  • The Brig is the on-ship jail

Lots more terms, but these are the main ones you might hear

If only there was some vast network of interconnected computers, where you could easily look up this type of information for yourself. Maybe someday.

In the mean time:

Aft is towards the rear.

Stern is the back of the ship.

Starboard is the right side of the ship.

Port if left side of the ship.

The reason that Port and Starboard are used, is that they are ALWAYS in relation to the ship. NEVER in relation to the person (unless the person happens to be facing the bow -- front of the ship).

Trivia: Port used to be called Larboard, but often got confused with with the similar sounding Starboard. Getting these mixed up could get you into real trouble, so they started using Port instead.

The kitchen is called the gally. The bathroom is the head (so is the toilet). Stairs are called ladders.

You NEVER say "up above" or "down below". It's just "above decks" or "below decks" (or just above or below).

The most contracted word in the English language is Fo'c'sle which stands for Fore Castle (the enclosed part of the front of the ship).

Aft

Stern

Starboard

PortSide

I heard the CD say on our last cruise that an easy way to remember port and starboard is.

Port: The words port and left, both have four letters.

Starboard: Is right

Aft: The back of the ship

Stern: If also the back of the ship

Bridge: Is where the ship is controled or another term is the Helm I believe.

Archived