Help in Roatan

Abie

:confused: I will be in Roatan in March, and wonder if all you experienced cruisers can help me. I was considering Salt and Pepper, but I see that the cruise line is offering them also. I am afraid it will be too crowded. My other thought is the Bay Island Beach Resort. They will pick up at the pier and bring us back. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments for me. Thanks is advance.

We were in Roatan in November and chose to go to the Sante Wellness Center. This is a private, small spa that only takes 5-6 people per day.

Angela arranged to have us picked up at the dock. We then went by taxi to the dock where her husband Leon met us to take us by boat to their home. There is a beach for sunbathing, snorkels and even a sea kayak if you would like to use it. Lunch was home prepared and delicious! We each had a one hour massage and I indulged in a facial. The treatments were the best I have ever had and it is the most peaceful place you could imagine. The house and grounds are lovely. There is a small pool and a beautiful veranda along the sea front. I could have spent a week just watching the sea and Angela and Leon's beautiful parrots, not to mention more hummingbirds than I have ever seen in one place! The prices are way below services in the states and probably half of those on board ship. Total with services, lunch, transportation and tip was under $220.00.

I will always remember it as the most relaxing day I have ever spent!

My husband did a couple of dives at Bay Island Beach Resort this past June. He thought the diving was awesome. However in the few minutes he was standing on the beach waiting for the boat, he ended up covered in bites from the sand fleas (flies?)...anyway...some type of bug! :eek:

My friend and I did a tour with Victor Bodden that day and he stopped by BIBR just so we could see the place. It was beautiful but if you are planning to just lay on the beach, I would be concerned about the bugs.

The link in my signature will take you to our cruise pictures. In the Roatan group there are several photos from BIBR.

we just returned from a cruise that included one day at bay island beach resort. they pick you up just outside the fence and take you over to the resort. there was another family with us.. the rest of the people at the resort had gone diving we think. it is very small and they took great care of us.how you spend the day is totally up to you.there is no pressure to do this, do that, have to do this now, like on some ship's tours. We took the boat snorkle option and they will take you out for as long as you want. we weren't experienced snorklers so a little went a long way with us..then back for a delicious lunch and some laying on the beach time for us, kayaking for the kids.. we didn't use any bug screen and got bit up.. I took some antihistamine and they were mostly gone by the next morning..

the day was so relaxing, i felt like i had received an all day massage. would definitely recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

I went there in may, and it was nice...It had a small beach area, very secluded. The bar is across the road, about 100 yards.. the lobster lunch was great..the tide was out when I was there, but I snorkled (my own gear) around the break wall...I must have seen about 50 different varieties of fish right there. It was a very relaxing time.

Lisa

what was the cost of each; salt and pepper and beach bay?

Did they have pools?

bay island beach resort was about 70 a person(transporation,lunch,tips,tax included) for the boat snorkle. It is a very small private area, very homelike(read this as not glitzy), and no pool.the boat snorkle was probably the best of our cruise. lots of fish etc..the shore snorkling you have to go a little ways out(which I wasn't up to, but others who did saw lots of fish and even a manta ray up close.)

my kids used the kayak for a while, others did some fly fishing from shore.i mostly just relaxed on shore. it was very private and secluded.Except for the staff, we only saw a few other people.one of them was a person that had been returning there for vacation every year for 5 years for the diving. so if you want quiet this is for you.what i liked most was they left it up to you what you wanted to do.They were on YOUR schedule, not tied to some schedule they had. if you wanted to stay on the boat for a longer time they were willing. When we had enough they brought us in. very very nice people.

Like I said in my previous emial, i felt so relaxed when the day was over...

Archived