Yellow Fever Vaccine?

Diva Onboard

We are on the HAL cruise from Santiago to Rio and rec'd notification from HAL that a yellow fever shot was req'd. However, on the CDC site, as I read it, the vaccination is not req'd. Can anyone respond who has done this cruise in the past? Thank you.

At what point and by what method did HAL advise you? I am on a Panama Canal cruise starting 12/21 and one of our ports is Santa Marta Colombia. Looks like one of the few things to do there is go to Tayrona National Park which seems to be a grey area for YF. CDC site as I recall was ambiguous, but a poster on another Forum said it was required for the park. The excursion is a HAL excursion. I have seen nothing in the online info with my reservation or in the excursion discription that mentions YF vaccination.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I got the Yellow Fever vacination prior to our trip to South America a couple of years ago. Not because we needed them, but because we are conservative. I was 62 at the time and she was 57. The bottom line is this. If you catch Yellow Fever due to lack of vacination, even though it's probably unlikely, you will die. If you are vacinated, you will probably not die. Questions?

For information, we had no side effects, and other than the cost, $120 for the two of us, it was unremarkable. Basically, if you are in reasonably good health, there is no reason not to get vacinations regardless of your age. We tend to get what vacinations we can. We have friends who do not. You have to decide how comfortable you are.

My wife and I got the Yellow Fever vacination prior to our trip to South America a couple of years ago. Not because we needed them, but because we are conservative. I was 62 at the time and she was 57. The bottom line is this. If you catch Yellow Fever due to lack of vacination, even though it's probably unlikely, you will die. If you are vacinated, you will probably not die. Questions?

Mike:

I have a feeling I would enjoy sailing with you.

We got our shots a couple of weeks ago. We are older than you, but, happily, no side effects either. Aside from the price issue, you have to insure the place has the vaccine in stock. Each licensed facility is only allotted so much by the supplier so my advise to anyone planning on getting the shot: Don't wait until the last minute to take care of it. When I asked why they had run out, I was told it was because so many people were going to Ruanda. O.K...............

Mike:

We are older than you, but, happily, no side effects either. Aside from the price issue, you have to insure the place has the vaccine in stock.

The DW and I got ours in early January. She is 60 in a month or 2...me 62. The risk is greater over 60 we were told by the Doc. with a reaction within 2 weeks, so we had fun for 2 weeks blaming every pain and upset on the fact we had yellow fever.

Glad we got it, not for what we are doing this year, but for what we are planning after this year. We were told it was good for 10 years. It cost $90 Cdn each plus the visit fee that included some other shot top ups, none of it covered by either our government or private medical insurance. It was the most painful of the 4 shots I got and the 5 she got btw, but still no big deal.

Archived