Yellow Fever Vaccine?

Diva Onboard

We are taking a Galapagos/Machu Picchu cruise this March. We fly into Quito, overnight in Quito, and then go on to Baltra.

Once the Galapagos cruise is finished, we fly into Guayaquil and transfer to a flight on to Lima. We will do a land portion going to Machu Picchu and then fly home from Lima.

Looking for cruisers out there to share their experience.

Will we need a Yellow Fever Vaccine?

We are taking a Galapagos/Machu Picchu cruise this March. We fly into Quito, overnight in Quito, and then go on to Baltra.

Once the Galapagos cruise is finished, we fly into Guayaquil and transfer to a flight on to Lima. We will do a land portion going to Machu Picchu and then fly home from Lima.

Looking for cruisers out there to share their experience.

Will we need a Yellow Fever Vaccine?

You MAY or MAY NOT be asked for the vaccination certificate when you land in Lima. Is is required????? Depends. I know that is a horrible answer, BUT there has been another outbreak of YF in Brazil/Peru at the start of June. Granted, it is in the Amazonas region. BUT the Peruvians are known to check for YF whenever they see visas or stamps in passports from areas which have YF regions. And Ecuador is one of those countries.

I have been at the Lima airport numerous times. I now always have my YF cert stuck in my passport so they don't ask anymore. BUT I have been in line beside or behind people who have been asked for it, they do not have it and have been turned around. There is a clinic in the airport. Depending on the particular immigration agent, he MAY let you get the shot there. The vaccination is NO good for 10 days but I heard an agent give a passenger arriving from Brazil the option to get the shot or get back on the plane.

I ALWAYS recommend getting either the YF vaccination or the YF waiver. I KNOW the vaccination is expensive, has potential side effects and can be very inconvenient to get. BUT to preserve your FUTURE travels, get the shot or waiver.

The last thing you want to do-argue with an immigration agent whose first language is most likely NOT English, trying to explain "endemic areas" and "I only went to RIO". Good way to get yourself detained in a foreign country, sent back where you came from or forced to get a vaccination at some doctor who may be questionable at best (the clinic at the Lima airport is fine).

And with the recent outbreak in South America (14 dead, 40 people sick in Brazil, 9 dead, 22 sick in Peru), I personally think you are foolish to not get the vaccination to PREVENT exposure to YF. Mosquitos have no knowledge of "endemic areas". The recent outbreaks are in areas that have not seen a YF outbreak for 10-15 years. With all the global diseases floating around and a new YF KNOWN outbreak in Peru/Brazil, prevention should be something thought about SERIOUSLY. PLEASE don't forget Hep A shots also. JMHO

Thanks Rusty and Greatam. We've been doing some research also.

On the World Health Organization website they clearly say that if you are visiting Machu Picchu and Cusco, you do not need the vaccine. It also appears that if you arrive in Quito Ecuador and depart from Lima - then you do not need the vaccine.

If you arrive in Lima and depart from Ecuador, then Ecuador can get a bit picky depending on where you traveled in Lima.

There's so much information out there, some of it can be conflicting, or confusing at best.

Thanks again for your insight.

Thanks Rusty and Greatam. We've been doing some research also.

On the World Health Organization website they clearly say that if you are visiting Machu Picchu and Cusco, you do not need the vaccine. It also appears that if you arrive in Quito Ecuador and depart from Lima - then you do not need the vaccine.

If you arrive in Lima and depart from Ecuador, then Ecuador can get a bit picky depending on where you traveled in Lima.

There's so much information out there, some of it can be conflicting, or confusing at best.

Thanks again for your insight.

The conflicting info you found is the reason I recommend a YF vaccination. What is an endemic zone, where did you travel (and do we really believe you???) are all confusing questions to immigration officials also. They just make blanket judgments-been to Brazil, where's your YF card??? Been to Peru-again, where's your YF card. Entering Peru-been to Ecuador-where's your YF card. They have no way of knowing EXACTLY where you have been in a country. So they make blanket judgments.

There is NO Yellow Fever in the MP/Cusco area. Quito-same thing. BUT Peru or Ecuador immigration officials do not KNOW those are the only places you traveled to. Example: I am helping one lady plan a trip. Her ship arrives Lima for 3 days to give everyone a chance to go to MP. She can't go-breathing problems. So she has few choices. I recommended going to the Amazon from Lima. She has booked a flight to Iquitos and will spend 2 nights in the Amazon at an eco lodge. She is also going to get the YF vaccination because of the recent outbreaks in Amazonas. She is protecting herself, NOT complying with a confusing rule regarding YF. She has no problems either way-protection or compliance.

But IF she didn't get the vaccination, can you see the quandary immigration officials have??? SHE was in an endemic zone. But she is probably one of very few on a ship of 2000+ people. Most people wouldn't need it because they went to MP or stayed in Lima. But HOW would the immigration officials KNOW this??? They don't-so they ask everyone for the YF card if the next port stop is Ecuador or Panama or Belize, etc. etc.

I still recommend you get the vaccination or waiver to protect your ability to travel IN THE FUTURE.

ebielik,

I completely agree with greatam on the need for vaccination. There are two reasons to get the vaccine: 1) your own protection and 2) prevent the spread of YF.

1. Websites such as the CDC and WHO give you info about your own protection. For example, if you go to MP you don't need the vaccine; if you go to the Amazon, you need it. They do not give you advice on your itinerary. If there is any chance you can be exposed, get it. As greatam says, there are recent cases in areas that were free of YF for years. You don't want to get the disease and you do not want to spread it.

2. Preventing the spread of the vaccine is the job of each country. They will not let anyone coming from a country that has YF into their own country unless they are vaccinated because they do not want to spread the disease. The customs agents do not have the time or the inclination to discuss your itinerary with you or to believe anything you say about where you have been. If you come from a country that has YF in any area, they can deny you entry. Why take the chance?

You may not need the vaccine (personal health requirement), but you might need it to get into some countries (legal requirement). These competing interests are the source of the contradictions you are finding. You need to take them both into account.

Also, for future travel, get the vaccine while you can. After you are 67+, they are very reluctant to give it to you. If you are then planning a trip, like an Amazon cruise, where you do need it for your own protection, you may not be able to get it. At that point, a waiver will let you get into the country, but it will not prevent the mosquitos from biting you.

ebielik,

I completely agree with greatam on the need for vaccination. There are two reasons to get the vaccine: 1) your own protection and 2) prevent the spread of YF.

1. Websites such as the CDC and WHO give you info about your own protection. For example, if you go to MP you don't need the vaccine; if you go to the Amazon, you need it. They do not give you advice on your itinerary. If there is any chance you can be exposed, get it. As greatam says, there are recent cases in areas that were free of YF for years. You don't want to get the disease and you do not want to spread it.

2. Preventing the spread of the vaccine is the job of each country. They will not let anyone coming from a country that has YF into their own country unless they are vaccinated because they do not want to spread the disease. The customs agents do not have the time or the inclination to discuss your itinerary with you or to believe anything you say about where you have been. If you come from a country that has YF in any area, they can deny you entry. Why take the chance?

You may not need the vaccine (personal health requirement), but you might need it to get into some countries (legal requirement). These competing interests are the source of the contradictions you are finding. You need to take them both into account.

Also, for future travel, get the vaccine while you can. After you are 67+, they are very reluctant to give it to you. If you are then planning a trip, like an Amazon cruise, where you do need it for your own protection, you may not be able to get it. At that point, a waiver will let you get into the country, but it will not prevent the mosquitos from biting you.

D***. You wrote so well the point I am always trying to make. I better get back to school for a CONCISE writing course. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw a travel doctor in January. He said we did not need YF inoculation for our recent Peru trip, and of course there was no problem. He also said we would not need it for our planned Galapagos trip next February.

Has anything changed? I see mention of a waiver, how does this work?

TIA,

Bodger

We saw a travel doctor in January. He said we did not need YF inoculation for our recent Peru trip, and of course there was no problem. He also said we would not need it for our planned Galapagos trip next February.

Has anything changed? I see mention of a waiver, how does this work?

TIA,

Bodger

Yellow fever outbreaks the first of June in areas that have not seen YF for quite a few years (one area-over two decades). Immigration officials are becoming much more inclined to ask for the YF vaccination cards.

To get the waiver-you must get a letter from your doctor ON LETTERHEAD stating the contraindications that prevent you from getting the vaccination. THEN you must take the letter to the health dept that administers the YF vaccine program (at least in the USA, most local health depts have the ability to get YF vaccine). The Health Dept will stamp the letter AND attach to the letter a card VERY similar to the International Certificate of Vaccination which is also stamped. Coincidentally, the card is also yellow. Without the stamped doctors letter and stamped card, any other waiver form is invalid and you could be denied entry into a country.

We talked to our travel nurse and she sent us the waiver. We are over 60 and she indicated that at our age there could be complications with the shot, thus the waiver.

Hopefully, she also sent the card and the stamped waiver from the health dept (USA) or whoever administers the YF program in your country. Otherwise, just the waiver form is not enough. MUST be stamped to be accepted by other countries by the agency that administers the YF vaccine program in your country.

The vaccine waiver is given to people who cannot have the vaccine due to valid medical reasons, not just because they don't feel like getting it. If you have a valid reason, such as age or immunocompromised, you can get the waiver to get into countries that require a YF vaccination for entry. However, for your own safety, stay only in areas where there is NO YF. Don't go to an area within that country that does have YF such as Amazonian areas. If you have a valid medical reason not to get the vaccine, you have even more reason not to be exposed to mosquitos that carry the disease. No amount of bug repellent will protect you completely. There is no cure, it can be fatal.

Countries require YF Vaccination for people who can be potential carriers. You are not a potential carrier if you come from a country such as the US or Canada that have no YF. However, if you travel through a country that has YF somewhere, you automatically become a potential carrier for entry into countries that require the vaccine. That is why you should check each country's regulations. For example, google country name visa and yellow fever. It should get you to each country's embassy or consulate website. Don't take your doctor's word for it.

Incidentally, let's say you are not a potential carrier become you come from the US and you are allowed into a country that has YF. Once there, they don't care if you catch it, leave the country and spread it to someone else. That is your problem and the problem of other countries to deny you entry because you became a potential carrier. There is only one way to never be a potential carrierand that is to get the vaccine.

I went through this same dilemma when we went to South America last year. There's so much conflicting info out there, and the bottom line was that I was not legally required to do so, but it was strongly recommended. I resisted getting one, Greatam was the voice of reason on the threads that kept recommending it. I finally caved in (out of fear) and got the vaccine. I'm SO GLAD that I did. From the time I got it to the time I traveled, there was an outbreak in one of the areas on our itinerary. There were panicked travelers. We were not among them. It's a small price to pay for a lot of peace of mind. I also now do not have to worry about having my future travels curtailed due to not having that yellow card. Unless there's a compelling medical reason why you can not get it, GET IT. If there's a compelling medical reason then by all means get the official waiver. Don't allow "internet research" to outweigh common sense.

I HATE innoculations and I was going to skip the YF shots for our overnight trip to Iguazu Falls in the jungles along the Argentina-Brazil border (a YF endemic zone) until I read all that greatam had to say on the subject.

She convinced me--not an easy task given my fear of needles.

She made three points that sent me straight to the travel clinic.

• First, I'm not just protecting myself but I am also protecting others from the spread of the disease.

• Second, the fact that I have a stamp on my passport from a country where YF is a problem might cause me trouble in the future when trying to enter another country.

• Third, language barrier not withstanding, there is no arguing with an immigration officer--and just because another person didn't have any trouble doesn't mean that I won't.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this will help you decide whether to have the shop or not but this is the definitive reply I had from HAL regarding a cruise from San Diego to Rio on the Veendam in Oct. You can check the website to see the intinerary. We travel to Ecuador, Peru and Braziul among other countries. The problem occurs when you travel from one country to another where YF is prevalent.

Quoting here......

"On this voyage the YELLOW FEVER vaccination is mandatory for all guests. Please consult your physician whether he or she believes you have a condition that would prevent you from receiving the YELLOW FEVER immunization. If that is his or her conclusion, your physician must give you a signed letter, on their letterhead, stating their conclusion and the basis for it. You must have the original letter with you upon embarkation.

All other guests must have original documentation showing they have been immunized within the preceding 10 years, preferably the International Certificate of Immunization booklet. Photocopies are not acceptable.

It is the responsibility of the guest to keep up to date on all immunization, passport and visa requirements. For U.S. citizens we suggest you check the following government website http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html to keep updated on the most current information.

Holland America Line is not able to make vaccination arrangements en route or upon arrival, unless noted. Therefore, you must secure all necessary passports, visas and vaccinations prior to sailing. Guests arriving at the airport without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the aircraft. Guests arriving at the pier without proper documentation will be denied boarding by customs and immigration. If you are denied boarding normal cancellation penalties will apply. It is important that guests make sure their passports are valid for at least six months beyond the date of disembarkation."

• 1 month later...

We are on the HAL cruise from Santiago to Rio and rec'd notification from HAL that a yellow fever shot was req'd. However, on the CDC site, as I read it, the vaccination is not req'd. Can anyone respond who has done this cruise in the past? Thank you.

We are on the HAL cruise from Santiago to Rio and rec'd notification from HAL that a yellow fever shot was req'd. However, on the CDC site, as I read it, the vaccination is not req'd. Can anyone respond who has done this cruise in the past? Thank you.

Since you will be required to get a Brazilian visa that will be in your passport, down the line there might be countries that you visit that will require that you show that you had a yellow fever shot before you entered Brazil. This is what I've been told. Guess the answer is better safe than sorry.

Rules and regs change from year to year so it would be foolhardy to depend on old information and the CDC is not the official website of any of the countries you are visiting.

If HAL has notified you that YF shots are "required" for the cruise, then if you don't get the shot or the properly certified letters from your physician that the shots are contraindicated for your medical history, then you run the risk of being denied boarding, just as they would do if you don't have the proper passports or visas that are required by the countries you will be entering. The cruise line will not refund your money if you are refused boarding.

We did exactly the same trip in May 2009, two nights Quito, flew to San Christobal in the Galapagos, did a seven day cruise, flew to Guayaquil than to Lima, overnight Lima and next day to Cusco, Macchu Pichu and Aguas Calientes and via Cusco back to Lima for our

flight back to USA. No Yellow fever shots required.

Only medical paperwork we had to complete was for Swineflu upon arrival Lima.

All went very smooth.

This is a trip of a lifetime, enjoy.

Andre'

We did exactly the same trip in May 2009, two nights Quito, flew to San Christobal in the Galapagos, did a seven day cruise, flew to Guayaquil than to Lima, overnight Lima and next day to Cusco, Macchu Pichu and Aguas Calientes and via Cusco back to Lima for our

flight back to USA. No Yellow fever shots required.

Only medical paperwork we had to complete was for Swineflu upon arrival Lima.

All went very smooth.

This is a trip of a lifetime, enjoy.

Andre'

Your trip was just before the most recent YF outbreak. I spend too much time in SA to take the chance of being turned back at the border of some country for lack of a YF vaccination record. And from everything I have heard from my SA business associates, SA countries are getting even stricter with the recent outbreaks of YF AND then good ol' Swine Flu.

I went through this same dilemma when we went to South America last year. There's so much conflicting info out there, and the bottom line was that I was not legally required to do so, but it was strongly recommended. I resisted getting one, Greatam was the voice of reason on the threads that kept recommending it. I finally caved in (out of fear) and got the vaccine. I'm SO GLAD that I did. From the time I got it to the time I traveled, there was an outbreak in one of the areas on our itinerary. There were panicked travelers. We were not among them. It's a small price to pay for a lot of peace of mind. I also now do not have to worry about having my future travels curtailed due to not having that yellow card. Unless there's a compelling medical reason why you can not get it, GET IT. If there's a compelling medical reason then by all means get the official waiver. Don't allow "internet research" to outweigh common sense.

Is this lifetime immunity from the one shot?

Yes, it's good for 10 years.

We did ours about 3 weeks ago. We thought hard about it, since we're both in our 60's, but went ahead, with no problems at all. Nice to know we won't have a problem in future when questions get asked about our (upcoming) trip to Brazil.

We pick up our visas tomorrow.

We did ours about 3 weeks ago. We thought hard about it, since we're both in our 60's, but went ahead, with no problems at all. Nice to know we won't have a problem in future when questions get asked about our (upcoming) trip to Brazil.

Congratulations on getting your visa. It's nice to get that passport back.

And, it's good not to worry about the yellow fever vaccination because that is now behind you.

The good news for us is that our visa from Brazil from 2007 is still good so we don't need a new one when we enter early next year and our yellow vaccination shot from 2006 is good until 2016. That was actually my second one as I had one for business and my wife's first.

Keith

Good for you! And good to hear no problems. We have decided to get the shots, too, and my husband is also in his 60s. Thanks for the post.

Archived