Disney or Norwegian

pga_mike

Which do you prefer??? (with kids!)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer??? (with kids!)

• Disney
    • Norwegian

• 2 weeks later...
With Kids...two dd 6 and soon to be 10...I have heard that Norwegian has some pretty good kid's programs...In Jan, we are headed to our 2nd ride on Mickey's boat!

we sailed on the Magic this past May, on 1/21 we leave on NCL's Spirit for the 9 day Southern cruise....so I'll come back and let you know how they compare. :)

Please don't flame me but.... my kids liked the kids programs on NCL much better. And so did I. They were less crowded and the girls got more personal attention, they got to know the counselors better and vice versa. I was really impressed with the counselors,. They were so sweet with my youngest. And with the older groups they were very energetic and fun.

My kids say they prefer Disney, but since they really did not participate in the kid's Lab, we chose to save $ and went on NCL Dawn. We were pleased with the Dawn, kids had fun. Free style dining (Ncl) worked for our family. My kids like to eat when they please. on Disney they did not want to sit down for dinner and did not want to dress properly. The Dawn has fantastic barbecues everyday, and a 24 hour fast food restaurant. My kids mostly ate there. Buffet for breakfast. My husband and I, depending on if we were hungry, would go to dining rooms ourselves when we wanted and where we wanted. There is so much food available it is not necessary to eat at specialty restaurants unless you choose to and then you must make a reservation in advanced.

I was on the Norwegian Dawn this past November and the previous November on the Disney Wonder. I have to say that the food and the service was better on the Dawn. While I did not bring DS with me on the last trip, he was less than thrilled with Kids' program on DCL.

I did enjoy the shows on DCL more, though. My only complaint was there was that they were too short!

• 3 weeks later...

I got off the NCL Sun a little over a week ago. I have not cruised with Disney yet. I had a wonderful vacation because it was our first vacation with our baby. Our DD was too young for the kids programs, but I of course have checked it out for the future and asked some of the parents and kids on board.

I walked by twice and they were watching TV both times - okay maybe I just had bad timing. The parents I talked to said it was okay, but the other lines they had been on were better. The kids areas on Carnival (Destiny and Paradise) and Princess Grand both looked a lot nicer. And the parent on those ships raved about the programs - for totally different reasons. Carnival was fun and Princess was more educational (they disected a squid - I think that is kind of neat).

I was coming to the Disney board to start planning our next cruise, probably two years out. I was sure Disney was the best choice for a three year old. I am glad I have a lot of time for research.

We have friends (no kids) who will only cruise Disney because they had such a great experience. They have been twice.

My daughter loved the kids crew on Pride of Aloha, there had to be about 5-6 kids in the group with two crew members (over New Years they had 500 kids). They only saw a movie "on sea" day because it's in the bow of the boat with pitches a lot, other times the did crafts, learned a hula dance,played grames.

But I don't think POA had anything else for the kids to do except swim when kids club was closed. There is no movie theater, movie channels, or play room. There is a basketball/Volleyball court, golf driving nets, and shuffelboard on the sports deck but adults were often in there. The shows are not geared for children, they did have a magic show and a circus but it's main audience is adults.:(

When we did our disney cruise 2.5 years ago DD was 1.5yod. We didn't put her in any of the programs, but there was more to do. They have a movie Theater with the first run Disney Movies (all with MGM, Pixar, etc). The shows are made for children. There are always cartoons or disney video's on the TV. Plus they have family times in Studio Sea with child friendly dances, singing, and games.:)

• 1 month later...

I've cruised both lines. I also just got off the Sun a couple weeks ago - Feb. 26.

I would have to whole heartedly agree that NCL has Disney beat. Mainly because NCL isn't just jammed packed full of children. I have nothing against children as I have two well behaved daughters age 6 and 3. I just liked the fact that at every meal there wasn't crying, yelling and children running around. I like to go to a show and not have it be too child focused and again, full of children. - Again I like children but on Disney I felt after about 1 day that I was at a glorified daycare center because everything seemed child focused.

NCL in general has a fantastic childrens program. I will speak about the Sun. The kids were in constant activities and definately NOT a lot of TV watching as a previous poster implyed. They had treasure hunts, parades around the ship, they made pizzas in the galley, they had mini olympics, they had a princess/King tea party, they made all sorts of crafts - several a day, they taught them darling songs, they played active games I've never heard of. Now the program runs all day and by the evening the kids are exhausted and usually by 9pm they turn on a G rated movie and lots of kids pass out on these huge bean bag chairs provided. They are definately not watching TV all day but instead know when kids have hit their limit of activities and put on Disney type videos to relax.

My opinion after being on both is to go to Disney World and spend 5 days or a week or whatever and really do it up. Get the Disney bug out of your system. Then the next vacation take a non-Disney cruise. It is the absolute perfect mix of family time and kids club time. The ship isn't crawling with children. Its nice to see honeymooners, older couples, groups of singles, and just a nicer mix and variety of people.

Disney was nice enough. No other complaints at all but I won't be cruising with them again because the competition is better all the way around I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Been on NCL Dawn twice and three times on Disney.

Programs are comparable. Obviously Disney has more kids which can be a bit overwhelming. Facilities are larger on Disney too.

But the big difference is that the NCL program is only open while the ship is at sea! While in port, there is an hourly babysitting charge.

NCL is the only line with this charge, I believe.

We love NCL, but the edge for the program has to go to Disney.

• 4 weeks later...

Now this is just MHO and I am very partial but...

Never been on NCL but have sailed with Disney and...well....it's DISNEY and everything Mickey...Yes, there's LOTS of kids EVERYWHERE and sometimes parents didn't do their parenting but hey it's DISNEY...the characters are everywhere and show up sometimes when you least expect it...Like while I'm eating my yogurt at breakfast the chipmunks show up...my son was just thrilled when he looked around and there stood Mickey right in his face...can't imagine NCL having anything that can compare with my child (and me) meeting Mickey and Minnie and Groofy and the rest of the gang in person and not just having a moment with them for a quick pic like at the parks...We've done Disney land packages a lot but it's not the same as being on the ship with them...the kids programs run all the time and the variety well it's DISNEY...The characters show up in the kid's rooms and have meals with them and they show up in the dining room where we eat as well...Each night you eat in a different dining room...but with the same table partners and waiters...that was real cool...One of the dining rooms the pictures and colors on the walls changed every so often...I even have pics with Mickey, Minnie and even Captain Hook...we went at Christmas and some of the pics the characters are dressed in Tuxes and Minnie has on a beautiful gown, still with her big black shoes, BTW...They have a movie theatre and a lab with computers...they do science experiments and even perform in a show...we love Disney and I think that is the key for you...NCL can't give you Mickey...they can only give you free style dining...

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in and say that sometimes the kids programs on other lines are more favored b/c they are less crowded. My dd liked the Princess cruiseline's kids' program more than Disney's b/c it was smaller and the crew members knew her name. She was more or less a # on Disney. She enjoyed Disney though. (with that said, we are booked for another Disney cruise next year...we (the adults) liked Disney a bit more than Princess due to a few issues we had at the time. Prices seemed in line with eachother, so we booked Disney this time.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my grandaughter this past Feb. Left husband, son and his wife all home, just her and I. She is 4 and every time I see her she asks when we are going again. We went on the 3 night Wonder. I have been on 9 cruises and can not imagine that any of the other ships could have been more wonderful. She had the time of her life. Really we both did. Yes, there are alot of kids in the clubs but she begged to go back every time I drug her somewhere else. The ship is beautiful and there are alot of quite places for adults. The adult pool area is nicer than on any ship I have been on and really is adult only. Pirates night and the sail away party are both fantastic. I watched the Super Bowl in the sports bar and went to check on her quite often, what a joke she was never happy to see me coming. After that first night I relaxed and let her have fun. In Nassau, being a grandmom I didn't want to leave her on the ship so off we went to go shopping and sight seeing. Well that lasted about 30 min. guess what she wanted to do? So back we went. I ate at Palo one night and one night we went to dinner in the dining room. I have to say late seating is not for 4 yr. olds. Beside that I have memories of Micky and Minnie I will never forget. I had such a great time, just my husband and I are going in Sept. If your budget can handle Disney Cruise Line take your kids, it is the best vacation you can have!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All the posts were very informative, but I am in the same dilemma as the original post. I can do a Disney cruise Aug 06, or Jewel of the Sea April 06.

NCL pluses: New ship, better for adults, can get great suite at great price, know the Hotel Director

Disney pluses: Two girls 6 and 8, more for them to do (?)

I am still thinking that NCL is an adults cruise with some things to do for kids, and Disney is a family cruise with some things to do for adults.

After dinner on NCL whats left for kids to do?

Mark Mark,

We have cruised the Disney Magic twice and loved it. The last time was Oct 2004. We just cruised Princess June 2006. We loved this cruise as well. My kids will be turning 6 and 8 this summer. I can’t offer any opinions on NCL because we haven’t sailed them. Your hypothesis, “…NCL is an adults cruise with some things to do for kids, and Disney is a family cruise with some things to do for adults”, sounds reasonable to me. If you inserted “Princess” for NCL in the above statement I would say it was correct. One child (DD8) liked the Disney program better, it was more structured, and one (DS6) liked the Princess program, because there was more free time and there were video games always available during free times. Both preferred the night time entertainment options on DCL because the shows were family focused.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter loved Disney; she was on the Magic at 3,4,5 and 6; the characters are everywhere and it is magical for a small child who still believes in the characters. There is a character breakfast and the characters visit the kid's clubs.

They are open all the time and on the NCL ships, you must pay for babysitting while in port. Not so with Disney; they will take them all day and at night until 12 or 1. They can eat lunch and dinner with their counselors and other kids too; not so with NCL.

NCL has a lot of kids, but because the kid's programs are so good, they are usually in their own area and when lounging at the pool, etc, you hardly see 'em.

With small kids, the best bet is Disney! That being said we do not cruise on NCL for the first time until 8/6. We were disappointed that they did not have a regular kid's program while in port since our daughter will be encouraged to come with us in port, but if she loves the kid's program we would have left her behind sometimes. It would have been her choice. We have told her the kid's program on Pride of America is only open at night since we are in port everyday and she was very disappointed; she was very spoiled by Disney.

The are expenisve, but cabins on Disney are big, most cabins have 1 1/2 baths, etc.

Sometimes you get what you pay for; with small kids, it is money well spent; if there are only 2 adults or older kids with parents I would opt for other than Disney, because the price includes the magical time for the little ones.

Archived