Cell Phone Charges.. Advice for the NEWBIES

Janet Foster

Dana I am on the Golden on the 22nd. I appreciate all your info and help. My only concern is....no matter when I turn my iphone on, even back home, I will be charged for missed calls, voice mails, and texts????????

My only consolation is I rarely get texts... but I will be careful for sure.

If your phone is off, your voice mail messages are stored on a server, as your phone can not be located. When you turn your phone on, you are immediately picked up as soon as any signal registers. Then your provider sends the v/m to your phone so you can check them at your leisure.

If you are home, and not roaming you will never notice this happening, and you are never charged. (Checking your voicemail does use your minutes though.)

If you are our of network roaming, such as Cellular at Sea, when your provider locates your phone on another network it will attempt to get you your voicemail. You will be charged roaming charges even if you never pick up your phone to make or answer a call. The fees are incurred by your provider from the roaming partner, and then passed along to you on your bill.

Someone above mentioned a prepaid phone has always worked for them. Perhaps if it's necessary you can just have all your calls & messages forwarded to the prepaid, so that way you know you will not exceed a certain amount.

Ava,

I have used pre-paid for my kids on trips away from home, and it was very reliable, I went with a major carrier.

Best thing is to look on your port of call boards, or google to see what carrier has the best reception.

Sorry, I did not read all the post. But just want to say one thing

YOU ARE ON VACATION DO YOU REALLY NEED TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH WORK OR HOME?

Get off the plane, check your msg, turn off the phone and don't turn it back on till you step off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Sorry, I did not read all the post. But just want to say one thing

YOU ARE ON VACATION DO YOU REALLY NEED TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH WORK OR HOME?

Get off the plane, check your msg, turn off the phone and don't turn it back on till you step off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Actually, yes. My family will be taking care of my kids and I'd like to check in on them at least once a day and also be available in case of an emergency.

Archived