Royal Suites

LimaSierra

QM2.......We (two of us) are contemplating a 10 day cruise in a suite and are asking for anyone with experience in the Royal Suites (Queen Victoria...10001 and Queen Anne...10002) to please comment. I see the lack of a balcony as a negative. Comments please....all considerations.

QM2.......We (two of us) are contemplating a 10 day cruise in a suite and are asking for anyone with experience in the Royal Suites (Queen Victoria...10001 and Queen Anne...10002) to please comment. I see the lack of a balcony as a large negative. Comments please....all considerations.

Hi

I've always felt that these two suites are best used, because of the connecting doors that lead to the Q2 suites port and starboard (Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth) as "add ons" to the bigger suites, maybe for one's parents or children to use. While they are quite spacious (with a sitting area towards the centre line of the ship, dining table, forward facing desk area, guest washroom, walk-in wardrobe, bath, shower and twin washbasins, and large secluded bedroom) they do, as you've said, lack any form of private outside area (something that can be had for a fraction of the price elsewhere on QM2).

For that reason alone I would either look at a Q4 which, except that the bed is not in a separate room as it is in the Q3, has almost all the same facilities in a smaller cabin (Q3 796 sq ft, Q4 758 sq ft incl balcony) with a very generous verandah.

Or, better still, look at booking either the above mentioned Q2 suites or, even better again, the two deck Q2 suites overlooking the stern on decks 9/10 (9071, 9080, 9082). With the sweeping stairs connecting the two floors, they are nearly twice the size of the Q3 suites!

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how you get on, enjoy your trip and bon voyage!

quote:

Originally posted by Pepperin

I've always felt that these two suites are best used, because of the connecting doors that lead to the Q2 suites port and starboard (Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth) as "add ons" to the bigger suites, maybe for one's parents or children to use. While they are quite spacious (with a sitting area towards the centre line of the ship, dining table, forward facing desk area, guest washroom, walk-in wardrobe, bath, shower and twin washbasins, and large secluded bedroom) they do, as you've said, lack any form of private outside area (something that can be had for a fraction of the price elsewhere on QM2).

For that reason alone I would either look at a Q4 which, except that the bed is not in a separate room as it is in the Q3, has almost all the same facilities in a smaller cabin (Q3 796 sq ft, Q4 758 sq ft incl balcony) with a very generous verandah.

Or, better still, look at booking either the above mentioned Q2 suites or, even better again, the two deck Q2 suites overlooking the stern on decks 9/10 (9071, 9080, 9082). With the sweeping stairs connecting the two floors, they are nearly twice the size of the Q3 suites!

Pepperin,

Thanks so much for your swift response and suggestions. The only mitigating factor with the lack of a balcony is that we actually spend very limited time in the suite. Your suggestions as to alternatives are excellent providing availability.

LimaSierra

• 4 weeks later...

I think it will very much depend on where you are going. These suites are far forward and are subject to a lot of up and downs in rough seas. If you in the caribbean, that won't be a problem, but you won't have a balcony either.

The best of the best suites I have sailed in was the Holyrood a Q2, and a duplex overlooking the pool. Its two story, lots of bathrooms, limited problems with bouncing around.

The only disadvantage was going out late (around 11 PM) to have a nighcap or look at the stars, only to have the crew cleaning the Queens Grill reserved deck on 11 aft, hosing the deck down. Made a right nasty mess on my tux.

I have also sailed in a Q4 penthouse in October transatlantic, because of the design of the ship, the wings aft of that cause wind and rain to splash back onto the balcony, limiting it use. Baggage storage in the Q4 is substantially less than any of the other Queens Suites.

In any event, pick one, you will have a grand time.

I think that the Q3s are ideal for a transatlantic. However I have actually been in one and there is an element of claustrophobia for some, caused by the windows sloping. My wife felt very hemmed in, although I was fine.

I wouldn't want the aft suites - too overlooked. In my mind the best are 10.003 and 10.004, for anything, 10.001 and 10.002 for a transatlantic and the midships Q4 for any cruise. But the Q5/6 are fine cabins, and there is no "need" for anything more, unless you want to be a recluse.

It should be borne in mind that I like rough weather.

Archived