Comments and Questions NCL Majesty

Hi all, I have browsed through and read alot of info on this board for several weeks. My husband and I are sailing on the Majesty January 15-22 and are looking forward to it. Our anniversary is the 18th. This is our first cruise. Well, my husband has sailed with Wind Jammer, which to me is totally different. Anyway, I have read alot of interesting stuff here, nothing yet to sway me out of having a good time and enjoying my cruise. Let's face it no two people preceive things the same way. I happen to believe a bad day on vacation is still better than a good day at work!! in the middle of winter!!

I have a few questions and maybe a few comments.

Where is the best place to soak in the sun? We will be at sea the first two days. I read that there are no lounge chairs around the pool.

What is the cost of a beer? Mixed drinks? Best specials?

What mixed drink was your favorite? I asked this question before we went to Jamaica and got some great suggestions, thought I would try it again. :D

Best time to eat and still make a show/entertainment?

Beach towels, bring them or no?

Do we need our passports at every port of call?

Finally, Neiltoo, thank you for your trip report and GregInCharlotte I hope you and your family, especially your parents, have a wonderful cruise and look forward to hearing about it. Also, I hope your son is doing well on his ship.

I really hope we make Grand Cayman.

Probably more questions/comments to come!!

Hi Cindy,

I can answer a couple of your questions.....

The deck above the pool area has plenty of lounge chairs for sunning, and plenty of waiters to bring you drinks.

I usually purchased the drink specials, what ever was being offered, and they ran about $4.50 - $5.50 depending on if you wanted the souvinier glass.

There were helmets of beers (6-glass bottles) offered for a reasonable price...I think it was about $18 maybe. You also pay a $5 deposit for the helmet (with ice) they credit your account when you bring it back, or you can keep it as a souvinier. No need to drink the beer all in one sitting, you can take it back to your cabin and keep it on ice, or in the refridge if you have one. Most of the cabins on the majesty don't have the mini-fridges.

We always tend to eat as soon as the restaurants open, when it isn't so busy. Then we have the option of doing either show.

I don't believe you will need to show your passport at any time to get on or off the ship, as long as you have another photo id (drivers license).

Beach towels are provided and you can sign them out and take them off the ship. A very easy process, and no need to take up room in your suit case.

I hope this helps a little... enjoy your cruise.

Hi, NC Cindy. My wife (a Georgia Cindy) & I will be sailing with you. We've done several cruises, but all on Carnival, so NCL will be new to us.

I can recommend spending time at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. It's nice. We're also looking forward to the stop in Key West, since this is one of the few cruise itineraries that is still in port for the sunset celebration on Mallory Square. Seems most cruise ships leave Key West mid-afternoon.

Mostly, we're looking forward to missing at least one week of Janu-ugly in Atlanta!

See you on board!

Margaret, thanks for the info, very helpful.

Atwolf, we have been to Mallory Square and loved the Sunset Celebration. Looking forward to a visit in Key West again, especially Sloppy Joe's!! We had read about Paradise Beach and plan on going there while in Cozumel. Everyone who goes there really seems to enjoy it.

Hi NC Cindy

We were on the Majesty the week after Thanksgiving.

• The beer helmet is "buy five & get one free". Cost is around $20 with automatic tip plus $5 refundable deposit.
  • DW & I believe that NCL does pour some of the best drinks. She likes the Pina Coladas and Margaritas. There are daily specials. They are around $7 in a souvenier glass (plastic) or under $5 in a regular glass.
  • Eat either early (our choice) or after the show. We felt that service (on our cruise) was faster in the 4 Seasons versus 7 Seas. There are fewer large tables in the 4 Seasons and they turn them faster.
  • Don't miss Rudi Macaggi!
  • Pool towels are available poolside. Beach towels can be signed out at the ports. If you are doing an excursion to a beach it sometimes includes towels at the beach and sometimes not. Check with the excursion desk or tour operator.
  • Photo ID and birth certificate (certified copy) are all that are needed for the cruise. There are a number of threads on passports. We have them and use them for ID on all travel.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Hi Cindy. Seems most of your questions were answered.

Deck 10 has the pools, hot tubs, buffet, a couple of bars, and tables with chairs. You can take stairs to the 11th deck which is also open and has lounge chairs. Or, the stern of deck eight has a couple of ping pong tables that are seldom used and a number of lounge chairs and much more privacy.

There are some variations in prices as they try to encourage you to drink earlier in the day with price breaks. I think that I paid about $4.50 or $4.70 including the automatic 15% gratuity for Scotch and soda or Bloody Marys. A large martinee one evening in Seven Seas was $7.++. Two small glasses of Chablis was $7.++. A bottle of white wine at a bar was $17.++.

If you are taking the passport rather than a birth certificate, keep in mind that in Key West you are on a foreign vessel and reentering the U.S. and you need as much identification as you used in Charleston, plus your NCL identification card which is used to record your entry and exit from the ship as well as to record all your purchases on board ship. If you have a birth certificate then you'll also need picture ID such as drivers license. When you go on board they take a picture of you which is in their computer for them to look at each time you reboard the ship so they will know it is you and not someone that stole your card.

If you take a ship's towel ashore with you they record it and you must turn it back in or you purchase the towel. Don't take towels on the cruise with you.

Make sure you don't forget to take a comb. I forgot. You can purchase some pharmacy items in the Duty Free liquor/tobacco store or go to the Registration Desk for some things such as a comb, sea sickness tablets, to reprogram your card if it doesn't open your cabin easily, to ask questions, to get a printout of what has been charged to your account, to get a small card you can carry that shows where everything is on the ship, or to ask dumb questions.

Liquor prices at the duty free shop are significantly lower than in the US, but you can only take one liter back into the US with you without paying taxes. I saw some people buying all they could carry and paid the taxes since they still came out ahead of US prices. I bought one liter of Glenfittich (sp?) for $24 which they held until the final evening and delivered it in a box suitable for carrying it to my cabin. I also won a bottle of cheap champaign which I brought home with me as it was not considered liquor (I had to stand in the customs line twenty minutes to find this out and almost just threw it away to save the trouble).

The main evening entertainment in Palace Theater was at 7:30 and 9:30 and the Seven Seas Restaurant opened at 5:30. I always went at 5:30 and never had trouble seeing the first show although a number of people have said it took them three hours to eat. (Toward the end of the cruise you won't have as much room for food as when you started).

If you're old enough to remember, don't miss the Glenn Miller music one evening (especially if you want to dance to some oldies) and be sure you catch the final show on Friday evening as they end up with much of the crew on the stage saying "good bye", preceeded by much fine singing and dancing and music..............

Darn. I can't let this thing go. I enjoyed the cruise and look forward to doing it again some time. Hope to take someone with me next time though as there were some lonely times by myself.

Neil too

On our most recent Majesty cruise, I discovered Banana Margaritas - now my favorite onboard concoction.

Another tip - if you go to see any of Rudi's show - get there as early as possible, and sit near the rear of the theater - then watch the "unofficial pre-show". :p You'll see part of Rudi's show that the unobservant folks usually miss. He's hilariously imaginative and genuinely funny - if laughter is the best medicine Rudy is a fine physician.

...especially for someone who is boarding tomorrow.:)

Can any of you reccomend a 'best' time to board the ship? It seems from posts I've read like there are people lined up to board when they open the parking garage at about 12 noon (yes?) and we also know the scheduled departure time is 4pm though actuals the past month have been ~6:30pm. Should we go to the ship at 12, closer to 4 or somewhere in the middle?

Also, I need to do the "speak to the Matri'D" thing about lining up a same time each night table for my group. Should planning to do this affect what time we board? Don't scream, someone else in my group actually asked me that. Put another way, what time are the Matri'Ds available to speak to?

North Carolina Cindy

I have sailed the Majesty three times. I think that others have covered your general questions. My first cruise on the Majesty was for my 30th anniversary and we celebrated in LeBistro. There is a cover charge of 15/pp

but the atmosphere and menu are worth it. The escargot, french onion soup,

cream of forest mushroom soup, filet mignon and chocolate fondue

are wonderful and it is a little quieter than the main dining rooms.

We like to go to the pursers desk on the first day to scan the menu's for the week in the main dining rooms. Our least favorite menu is Italian night so that is the night we go to Lebistro.

There is a reservations desk set up outside LeBistro during the day where you can make reservations for Lebistro as well as for the pasta cafe.

The pasta cafe menu changes daily so if you decide to try it check the menus first as not to be disappointed. There is no extra charge for the pasta cafe and it also has nice atmoshpere

Enjoy your cruise

for all the great information.

We decided this trip to go ahead and get our passports. In 2003 when we traveled to Jamaica we went with our ID's (drivers license) and birth certificates, but, thought that it would be much simpler with passport this time out. (and future) For anyone that might need to know, we went in person to apply for them and they arrived in approx. 4 weeks. Very simple proccess.

Let me make sure: When we leave the ship should we carry both passport and drivers license or will passport be okay. I had thought that Key West would be different, since we would be re-entering the US.

We will be celebrating our anniversary on Tuesday the 18th. I really hope that we will be in Grand Cayman. I have checked everywhere that I can find and that is how it looks, but, I know that so far NCL Majesty has been going to Cancun. If anyone should find out anything for sure on this please post.

I love a good Bloody Mary and Banana Margaritas sound very good!! Sure we will have a few "helmets" !! :D I posted this question before going to Jamaica and enjoyed trying all the suggested concoctions, of course I found my own favorite, Jamaican Delight. We make them at home, drink'em all night and no hang-over!! If you get the chance try one.

What import beers are served? Domestic?

I too, would be interested in the best time to arrive to board the ship.

How's the disco? and yes, I can get into Glenn Miller also.

Thanks, you guys, NC_Cindy (Western NC)

Cindy - Yes, Majesty is scheduled for Grand Cayman on the 18th. For the Schedule, Click Here. Scroll down and change the date to Jan 2005. It will show other ships in port at the same time. If you click on the ships it will also give you the times the ships are in port and the passenger capacity of each.

Import beer, Corona, Heinekin, DosXX, Fosters, and I think one or two others. Outside of Budweiser, Bud light I don't know about domestics.

Cindy - I would recommend that you get the honeymoon package, which is about $65. You get a bottle of Champagne in the room along with chocolate strawberries, a free meal AND wine at Le Bistro, and a champagne party during the week. It is quite a bargain, we thought. We were on the ship during Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. Don't miss Paradise Beach, where the drinks are the best - especially the ones seved in the pineapple.

• 3 weeks later...

We have less that two weeks now and I just wanted to say a great big thank you for all the cool info I got. Anything else anyone would care to add?

Sea_Cucumber - Thanks a bunch, I am sure I will have another question or two!!

immargaret - Are the souvenier cups something worth having or a kind of plastic NCL type?

atwolf - Maybe we will run into you and your GA Cindy onboard. We are planning on going to Paradise Beach also. Can't wait for one of those pineapple drinks!! I posted on the NCL Roll Call board, haven't gotton much response.

98Charlie - Can you get those "helmets" refilled? Thanks for the beer list. Can you order import or domestic in the "helmet"?

Neil_too - If you are still out there. Where did you catch the Glenn Miller music? Hope you get a traveling companion for next time.

WaldosPepper - When and where for Rudi's show? Must be good several have commented on it.

GregInCharlotte - Thanks again for the wonderful and informative review. Just wondering how much Tylenol did you need!!

mmceachn - What is the menu for Le Bistro?

Vehorn - Thanks, we ordered the honeymoon/anniversary package.

Salty_Dingo - Just to let you know my husband called the number from the NCL site. Don't think he had to give any date as to when we were married or exactly why he was ordering. We just went with the small $79, item #504. This included: champagne and strawberries in cabin on embarkation, canapes delivered to cabin one evening, meal and bottle of wine in Le Bistro, sparkling wine and cake party and a picture.

Cindy

Hi NorthCarolina Cindy

Menu for LeBistro is small but nice

LeBistro serves French onion soup grantinee, cream of forest mushroom soup,

escargot, smoked salmon timbales, composed salad of goat cheese croutons and spinach, Seared tuna Nicoise salad, and I think, Ceasar Salad. Entree's include Filet Mignon, Filet Mignon and lobster tails, Chicken breast with shrimp mouse, (the chicken is not my favorite), Grilled Sea Bass, and a Vegatarian four seasons entree.

The signature desser is chocolate fondue but if you do not care for chocolate there are many other choices like lemon tart and cheesecake

There are a few other items on the menu but I do not remember them offhand. DH always gets the filet mignon and has never been dissapointed

Cindy

• The helmet has a $5 deposit plus the cost of the beer (buy 5 get 6).
  • You can have it refilled at the 5 for 6 price.
  • You can get either domestic or import. The import is slightly more expensive.
  • Turn it back in for your deposit or keep it for a $5 souvenier.
  • Rudi (if he is still on the ship) will be in the opening night "Welcome" show. He will also have one night when he does 2 shows. Check your Freestyle Daily. GO EARLY!

According to his web site (Click Here) he should still be on the Majesty.

Charlie

I would like to know how late the restaurants will seat us for dinner, especially on the night we are in port in Key West, as we may not re-baord until 9:30 at the latest.

Do you really think you would be hungry enough to enjoy Le Bistro after dining in the main restaurant? Why not skip the dinner in the main DR and go to Le Bistro hungry and ready to soak up all that good food. If you went to the main DR early, You would probably only have 3 hours or less between meals. For me, I need longer to get an apetite!

SaltyDog, this is what was on the NCL site. Found it under "Most Commonly Asked Questions About Freestyle Cruising". I was wondering the same thing.

NC_Cindy

Q. What time are the dinner seatings?

A. Our restaurants are open from 5:30 pm to midnight, with seating available until 10 pm. You can dine early to late. It’s all up to you. And if you want even more flexibility, room service is available 24 hours a day.

On a cruise you are expected to eat 7 meals per day. Eating 2 evening meals is called the double dip. Many do it. Sure it's not go for you but then you are on vacation. I do it for those things my wife won't fix me at home like escargo and lobster tails!

On my last Majesty cruise I convinced DH to go to the Pasta cafe on embarkation day as soon as it opened I think around 5:30 or so.

DH did not really care for the food so we ate very little of our pasta dishes and went to Seven seas a few hours later the same evening for prime rib and dessert and coffee.

No problem.

Archived