Best underwater camera for NOVICE

I want a camera that will do justice to the "underwater world". I used a disposable in St. John last year and much of it was cloudy, indistinguishable, and off color. I am technically challenged, but want a camera I can use on land and in water. My husband usually does the photography with a Canon 550 or an older Olympus 765, so I'm not used to using a SLR camera. The latest consumer report rated the Olympus 8000 and 1050 above the Pentax. My husband said Image Quality was most important. Anyway, I know that Canon has jumped into the fray now. Any recommendations for a simple point and shoot for dummies? Also, any sample pics to go with?? Thanks! I need to get on this because in 4 weeks I'm on vacation!

I want a camera that will do justice to the "underwater world". I used a disposable in St. John last year and much of it was cloudy, indistinguishable, and off color. I am technically challenged, but want a camera I can use on land and in water. My husband usually does the photography with a Canon 550 or an older Olympus 765, so I'm not used to using a SLR camera. The latest consumer report rated the Olympus 8000 and 1050 above the Pentax. My husband said Image Quality was most important. Anyway, I know that Canon has jumped into the fray now. Any recommendations for a simple point and shoot for dummies? Also, any sample pics to go with?? Thanks! I need to get on this because in 4 weeks I'm on vacation!

Shooting underwater is always a challenge with much reduced lighting and often fast moving subjects ( people and fish ).

If you are going to compare raw camera capability and are used to the older Canon 550 or Olympus any of these new breed of underwater cameras mentioned here will be comparable. What is best is splitting hairs as each camera has chosen a slightly different set of features to focus on, pick based on your priorities.

Here is the list of the current family of waterpoof cameras and their features: http://www.popphoto.com/Features/The-5-Best-Waterproof-Compact-Cameras

So, chipmaster, since I am using an older model camera, (not one of the newer, faster models) you think I'd be satisfied with any of these options? I have narrowed it to one of the Olympus models or the new Canon, but it seems bigger, heavier and more awkward. So I'm thinking go with the cheaper option = which is the 1050. What do you think?

So, chipmaster, since I am using an older model camera, (not one of the newer, faster models) you think I'd be satisfied with any of these options? I have narrowed it to one of the Olympus models or the new Canon, but it seems bigger, heavier and more awkward. So I'm thinking go with the cheaper option = which is the 1050. What do you think?

You'll likely not be dissapointed with focus speed on either of these camera as a lot of progress has been made on the past few years with focus delay. Still will never be as good at a DSLR.

Canon with there long tradition of good optics likely has a good product, but if the buttons and form factor don't feel right then not much else matters.

I have always liked the olympus line and will like pick up an older model for cheap amazon/ebay for my summer trip to the far east. The only minus for the older models is the lack of image stabilization but likely everything in the water is slow mo anyways. If this is your use it in the water / wet and are spending less then a couple hundred bucks you probably can't go too wrong.

Happy shopping!

I set out and decided to buy the Pentax, Olympus and Canon. I never really liked the blue water look underwater and wanted more of a natural appearance. The Canon was the only one that did that. Also, it took the best pics out of water and in my opinion, the easiest to use. I never had to read the owners manual.

Ever thought of buying a housing to put your Nikon in? You camera compares really well to thses others anyway.... Why buy a second point and shoot camera?

(Ikelite 6281.55 Underwater Camera Housing For Nikon Coolpix S550) Around $250 new? Might find a used one. As stated above underwater photography is really tough without good light. I would suspect without a good flash or flashlight you will be disappointed with most anything. Having the Nikon that you are comfortable using will allow you to color correct on your computer after you get home.

I vote for a standard digital camera + a housing designed for it by the manufacturer. If price is an issue go for an older model on eBay. Look at the underwater link under my "signature" below for some tips I've come across on color & processing.

Lsimon, thanks for posting the link for processing ideas that was great! Your pics from past cruises were also great.

I found this camera and housing idea too. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_17205/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/INTC600.html?Hit=1#ReviewInfoTab Looks like a very reasonable setup.

Have fun with your cannon I am sure once you use it you'll love taking pictures!

LSimon,

Your pics are awesome!!!! That is exactly what I want mine to look like. Do you worry about your camera flooding? That is why I decided against a WP case. I'd read a few tales of cameras being flooded. My husband works with photoshop - I'm clueless - so I'll pass these hints on to him for when he down loads pics. Thanks so much for posting! I hope I can get those results with that Canon or I'll be sorely disappointed!

LSimon,

Your pics are awesome!!!! That is exactly what I want mine to look like. Do you worry about your camera flooding? That is why I decided against a WP case. I'd read a few tales of cameras being flooded. My husband works with photoshop - I'm clueless - so I'll pass these hints on to him for when he down loads pics. Thanks so much for posting! I hope I can get those results with that Canon or I'll be sorely disappointed!

LSimon,

Simon,

LSimon,

Your pics are AWESOME! That is what I'm hoping for with my new Canon. Do you worry about your camera flooding? I read several different places about people's cameras flooding and that scared me off! My husband uses photoshop - I'm clueless - so I'll pass those tips on to him. Hopefully he'll help me out. Thanks for the link!

I don't worry about my camera flooding. I think the underwater housing designed for the camera,and sold by the manufacturer is the best protection - probably better than the cameras designed to go underwater without a case. On the other hand I've heard of lots of problems (and some success stories as well) from those that have used the generic underwater pouch/bags.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I've seen many far better than mine. I was so surprised by the dramatic improvement on correcting the color a little on photo shop that I wanted to spread the word. I was surprised the photo files even had all that detail in them. It really isn't too hard and I almost always use the simplest of correction routines, using the automatic lighting correction, in photoshop elements. There is a lot more you can do with photoshop but I've only figured out a small percentage of the programs capabilities.

• 1 month later...

Loved it! It is very simple to use - perfect for me! The different settings are easy to use. I spent a week at the beach before my cruise and could take it out in the kayak to see the dolphins, on my raft to photograph our "raft train", got some great sunrises, sunsets and I am so excited about my pictures "under the sea"! I had to play with my settings some. I forgot to put it on underwater with the rays in Cayman and when our captain coaxed the eel out of his home, but still my pictures were much better than anything I got with a disposable last year in St. John. With a little touch up they'll look good. The underwater pictures on the underwater setting came out very good. Nice colors and contrast. I am amazed at how good they look. I only used the presets because I am not technical. I'd post some pics, but really don't know how - again I'm not technical, but wanted to enjoy my underwater memories. We only took this camera on our cruise and were happy with our photos. I would say the one place I think it is lacking is zooming in or a macro function. But, I was very pleased with my pictures and my purchase!

Archived