For Kids-what is good for motion sickness?

mfantasia

I'm crusing with my daughter, she is 4 yrs old. She is terrible sick in small boats and buses. We found out about that in our first cruise, she got sick in the tenders and tour buses, but not in cars or the cruise ship itself. What do you recomend for motion sickness? I heard that ginger is very good, or should I use the traditional bonine or dramamine.

You should probably check with her pediatrician, but I'd go with a "real" medication....ginger is ok if you're not very prone to motion sickness, but once you get ill, it won't work, and PREVENTION is key!

I agree with CB, ask your ped for somethign specific. I know that "Traditional Bonine" is not for use with kids that young. There is a children's dramamine that may be ok, but you would have to check the label.

You could also use benedryl for really young kids.

The sad part, as you probably already know, is that all of those meds would make her sleepy. So ask the ped to recommend something, bring that in case she gets really sick. But I would try the ginger as the first step.

I just asked my ped this very question a couple of weeks ago. He said Benadryl works great for nausea--they use it on kids who are getting chemo with good success, and it's a pretty safe drug for kids, not quite in the same class as Tylenol but pretty close. Ask your ped, though, since different peds may have different recommendations, and also you'll want to make sure to get the right dosage for your child's age/size.

Thanks, I will do that. Her case is strange, because it is only in tour buses and the tenders (she was so sick in the tender boats), so I might have only give to her if we are going to take it and I now know that I have to seat in the front seats if we are taking a bus.

We have given her Benadryl when she was around 1 yr old, for medical reasons and didn't have any side effect. You should check too if your kid is not having the opposite effect, some kids get hyper with those medications instead of slepping, so try days before leaving.

Has anyone used a relief band for their kids? My daughter gets terrible motion sickness and I have heard they work wonders. They are expensive but if it keeps her well on our cruise and all of the long car ride trips to grandma and grandpa's house I am thinking it will be worth it. Anyone know if they happen to sell these bands on the ship? I'm sure it would be at a premium but just curious.

Has anyone used a relief band for their kids? My daughter gets terrible motion sickness and I have heard they work wonders. They are expensive but if it keeps her well on our cruise and all of the long car ride trips to grandma and grandpa's house I am thinking it will be worth it. Anyone know if they happen to sell these bands on the ship? I'm sure it would be at a premium but just curious.

We bought some sea bands from walgreens online. I don't know if they have them in stores or not. We don't know if our kids will be sick or not, just got them anyway. My wife & I use them and love them.

Edit - we leave this weekend. I will let you know what we think.

I'd say absolutely get some wrist bands - they're cheap and IMHO work!

We've always given our girls a tablet called Travacalm the night before and the first night on the cruise and then if they feel queasy they use the wrist bands which they both swear by them (as I do - one of the few things that has kept tinnitus at bay for me when travelling) then on only one or two occasions we have given them a half a dose to supplement the wrist bands.

The first cruise the girls went on they were 4 & 7 and my eldest daughter also suffers from car sickness - again using wrist bands on long distance trips does seem to help.

Jane

My DD (now 9) and I are terribly susceptible to motion sickness. We've used the Sea Bands on planes and cars for years. I've also used them when cruising (wear them almost 24/7), and we'll both use them for our upcoming cruise.

Archived