Cancelling a cruise....

I have to cancel a cruise that sails in 34 days ,I have spoken to my travel agent and they have been told by Rccl that there is a 45% cancellation fee ,can anyone tell me if they have had any experiences of this.and how the repayment works. My travel agent is also charging me a $160 cancellation fee, are these the right fees .

Many Thanks in advance. Geoff

It depends on how much you paid. Since you're more than 30 days out, you should be losing only your deposit. So if you put down a $250 deposit and the price of your cruise was around $555, the deposit would be 45% of what you paid. If you paid more than that and the travel agent is telling you 45%, you have a problem.

Geoff, sounds like they messed with the % there. Here's the answer from the FAQ on RoyalCaribbean.com (link may not work, you may have to be logged in):

Q: If I have to cancel my cruise, will I get a refund? s.gif A: You will get a full refund if you notify us in writing 70 days prior to your sailing date (60 days for 3 & 4-night cruises or 90 days for holiday sailings). Consult the chart below to determine the cancellation charges applicable later.

Note: No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise, therefore, the penalty period will commence one day prior to the day of sailing.

This cancellation policy applies when reserving with our US Office only. Guests should contact their local Royal Caribbean International Office or Travel Agent for full details of applicable cancellation policies.

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

7 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 - 9 Nights

70+ No charges

69-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

10+ Nights

70+ No charges

69-30 Deposit amount

29-15 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

Holiday Sailings:

6-8 nights

90+ No charges

89-30 Deposit Amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)**

9+ nights

90+ No charges

89-30 Deposit Amount

29-15 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)**

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

also- different travel agents charge different amts for cancelling ( over and above what cruiselines charge if you are in penalty phase) and some ta's dont charge cancellation fees- so those are good questions to ask before you book- what fee's , if any , does your agency charge ?

sorry you had to cancel your cruise ;(

This is why we will only book with an agency that does not charge for changes or cancellations outside of the cruiseline penalties. Wish you luck and don't expect any credits from RCI to come fast as we are still waiting for our cruise we had to switch in May from Mariner to Adventure plus the credits of a price reduction. They say 6-8 weeks but they are way past due and say they are backlogged.

I do hope you have travel insurance and it is a reason that is covered.

Sorry you have to cancel your vacation. I never book with a TA because i like to keep control over my reservation. Had you booked directly with RCL you could have called them directly and gotten it taken care off more cost effectively.

A few years back I had to cancel a cruise 2 weeks prior to sailing...I had a 50% refund from RCL back on my credit card within days.. my TA at the time did not charge any cancellation fees and a few weeks later my trip insurance covered the rest of my cruise fare, hotel & airline tickets... I would never plan a trip without insurance!

Have your TA call RCCL, in most cases they will work with you.

If its work related you may not be able to do anything. However, If it is a medical emergency, they ask for documentation from your physician.

We just had this happen in our office. I didn't handle the booking, but was told that RCCL offered the clients the opportunity to rebook another date, for another cruise.

As for the fee your TA is charging, yes some can charge cancellation fees. If RCCL will let you rebook, then maybe your TA will not charge you the fee as they will get their Commission with the rebook.

It's worth a try. Good Luck.

This is what I did last year. I changed the dates for the cruise that I wanted to cancel to another one for a much later date (my TA said that the change is not considered as a cancellation). Than a few days later I canceled the second cruise. No penalties!:)

Archived