Using Skype or other VOI on board.

richannc

We are going on a back to back with Azamara in Europe during August. Has anyone had any experience using VOI or Skype during their cruise. Thought this would be a good way to stay in touch with home and others at a reduced cost. Any comments.

I was told by the IT person that Skype is blocked because it is the most popular VOIP. The reason is that it uses so much band width. She did say that sometimes it goes through and I did talk with someone that did indeed access Skype one time.

The IT person told me that using a service like Yahoo voice would work. I don't know other VOIP companies, but don't plan to use Skype if it is necessary to have phone access.

I will say the IT manager told me that if I needed to make a call she would let me use her access, if I kept it short. We never had the need to make a call. We would have like to, but we just passed messages through email.

• 4 months later...

Hi ...

Just thought I would see if anyone has had any recent experience attempting to use Skype on Azamara?

We will be on a B2B next year for 24 days and are beginning to investigate keeping in touch options....

If someone is leaving on a cruise shortly with AZ, would you be kind enough to ask onboard for me if this will be an option by next October?

Thanks

K.

Archived