Jamiaca Question

sas80

We are currently scheduled to do a land tour in Jamaica. We booked with KnowJamaica.com and

Dunns River Falls

Fern Gully

Botanical Gardens

Does Jamaica have a butterfly farm?

Should we stop by the Wasai (sp) Pottery Factory?

Can anyone suggest other possible stops that a 3 year old would find interesting (other than the beach) ?

How about lunch? Any recommendations for a lunch stop?

What about if we just brought snacks for lunch. Based on your experience is there other pre packaged stuff we can grab from the WJ that would be enough for a 3 year old to "get him through"? Do you think a 3 year old would be manageable enough of we sustained him with crackers, cheerios, juice boxes, etc? Is there a drive thru where we could get chicken nuggets in Jamaica? Bad parenting, yup! But I would rather get back to the ship earlier than take time out to sit down for lunch with a toddler that probably hasnt had his nap....

Bring some crackers/cheerios, etc....if you're on a tour, they won't be stopping for lunch, unless that's included in your tour. I doubt there are any "nugget" places!

Being on the ship while almost everyone else is ashore is great! The ship is quiet and uncrowded....

With a 3 yo, that's what I'd opt to do!

We are currently scheduled to do a land tour in Jamaica. We booked with KnowJamaica.com and

Dunns River Falls

Fern Gully

Botanical Gardens

Can anyone suggest other possible stops that a 3 year old would find interesting (other than the beach) ?

What about if we just brought snacks for lunch. Based on your experience is there other pre packaged stuff we can grab from the WJ that would be enough for a 3 year old to "get him through"? Do you think a 3 year old would be manageable enough of we sustained him with crackers, cheerios, juice boxes, etc? Is there a drive thru where we could get chicken nuggets in Jamaica? Bad parenting, yup! But I would rather get back to the ship earlier than take time out to sit down for lunch with a toddler that probably hasnt had his nap....

The most monkey-like three-year old can't do Dunn's River Falls. The water's deep in places, and the force of the water is strong. There is a set of steps/decks where one parent can hang around upon while the other parent climbs -- it is all very pretty -- but that doesn't sound like much fun for the kid. If you're going to take turns climbing the falls, you MUST arrive EARLY; if you get there after the ship excursions arrive, it'll be super-crowded and the second person will not get to climb.

There is a little beach area at the bottom of the falls, where the three-year old could play. Overall, this doesn't sound like much of a good stop with a toddler.

Fern Gully is really just a drive-through area. Very little to see.

The pottery place is okay, if you want to shop. It's really just a workshop.

I haven't been to the Botanical Gardens.

There's a butterfly farm in Grand Cayman, and we enjoyed it. It's a great choice with a three-year old. Wear bright colors and perfume so the butterflies will want to light upon you.

I'd suggest bringing along plenty of Cheerios, etc. for the toddler (just because it's easier to get kids to eat familiar foods).

I can't really come up with anything toddler-appropriate in Jamaica.

Besides Nativeway, who else operates tours in GC?

Nativeway will do hell, the turtle farm,the rum factory and the stingrays but I dont see anyone who will do the butterfly farm, except RCCL (which costs $$)

We did a ship tour to some gardens of an old no longer functioning hotel (that Im blanking on the name of now). They had very nice walking trails with some waterfalls and birds for my then 5 and 15m boys. The tour then took us to Dunns where my toddler loved splashing in the water and watching people. My older son was able to "climb" a few of the rocks with daddy.

We did rays, reef and rum point with nw in gc.

Dunns River Falls

Fern Gully

Botanical Gardens

We were just with this tour group a couple of weeks ago. They were really great, you'll have a great time. We didn't do Dunns River Falls because of my little ones (and older grandparents, too :) ) When you go through Fern Gully, you'll probably stop to see Carl the Spice Man. Go do a search on the Jamaica boards for "Marva Shaw Carl", and you'll see lots of other people that went to go see him. It was really fun -- he had spices, oranges, and sugar cane for us to try. I'm mentioning it, becuase it was a great place for my toddler to get out and stretch her legs for a bit. We also did Coyaba Gardens, which is what I think you are referring to with the botanical gardens. That was a nice stop as well...my 1 year old fell asleep in the stroller during the tour, and my 2 year old fell in the fountain, so she was refreshed a bit, lol.

My kids were pooped after driving through Ocho Rios, stopping to see Carl, and stopping and touring Coyaba Gardens, so we went back to the ship.

As far as kid friendly places for lunch -- if I remember correctly, there was a KFC there in Ocho Rios. I'm sure they would stop there for you if you wanted for some nuggets. Could you e-mail Marva to ask?

Archived