Son wants to visit Mayan Ruins

nbsjcruiser

Hello all,

We'll be in Belize next year on the Carnival Valor and my son would really like to see some Myan Ruins. What do the experienced cruisers recommend? Ship excursion or is there a tour that we can do on our own that you would recommend.

As always, thanks for the helpful replies I'm sure we'll get.

Hello all,

We'll be in Belize next year on the Carnival Valor and my son would really like to see some Myan Ruins. What do the experienced cruisers recommend? Ship excursion or is there a tour that we can do on our own that you would recommend.

As always, thanks for the helpful replies I'm sure we'll get.

We usually try to use local vendors butwWe did the ship excursion to Tunantunich (ms) in May. It's a long trek and we had some delays. We caught the last or next to last tender getting back. No time for anything else. The ruins were very impressive and our guide was very informative. You do get to see the countryside. The lunch was chicken and rice but very good chicken. And we were able to at least buy a Belkin beer there (otherwise would not have been able to try--no time for Wet Lizard). There's another set of ruins somewhat closer but also a long day. I suggest you book through the ship, just to be on the safe side if there are delays. Roads are not that bad and buses are fairly comfortable and have a restroom on board. Not sure what you'll get on a private excursion. Hope this helps.

We used the ship excursion to Lamani. It involves a bus tour, slow wildlife watching boat ride, a fast exciting boat ride (down the same river) walk through the jungle with howler monkeys over you in the trees, and a tour of the ruins, complete with the chance to climb 2 of them. Kids will love this tour. Just make sure you have sturdy shoes, the ground you walk on is uneven. I usually have arranged my own excursions to save money, but would not attempt it on this one, we were the first tender out and barely made the last tender back.

A wonderful excursion and our experience was the same as karen327. We took a Princess tour and, with the logistics and time involved, I would not recommend a private tour. Go with the ship in this instance. The peace of mind alone is worth any extra cost.

You didn't tell us the age of your son, but I would guess he would love the ALTUN HA MAYAN SITE & RIVER WALLACE tour. This tour combines a Myan site along with a boat trip along what is now know as the Belize River. Several years ago I saw, among other things, huge iguanas, monkeys, and a manatee. As a bonus you get a city tour as you head out to your tour.

Our guide said out bus driver was a PHD -- Pot Hole Dodger!

Ive notice that Norweigan has a Lamani tour but Carnival doesnt on their website-Is that accurate?

I wouldn't be surprised- Lamanai is a longer tour, so depending on how long your ship will be in port, it may or may not be do-able. Carnival might have decided that would be a longer excursion than it was worth offering.

That would be logical if they didnt offer a mayan ruin tour to an even further sight that takes 2 hours to get to-maybe they had a problem with whoever runs the boat to Lamani

Could be, but I'm pretty sure it takes at least 2 hrs to get to Lamanai as well. Xunantunich is further away from port, but with fewer transfers, I've seen it listed as a comparable-length or even shorter (slightly- maybe a 6.5 hr day instead of 7) tour.

But yes, trouble with finding a tour operator they were happy with could also be a reason for Carnival not to offer the tour.

Archived