help or criticize "newbies"

ssca

It went POOF.. Mr Pete reminded me.. there were so many *vicious* attacks and cheerleaders that the mods pulled it:o

Thanks for the followup, it good to know that every so often that I didn't completely miss something on a fruitless search. It's really hard to find something when it isn't there.

Even if a question is asked 100 times, there is always the possibility that a new perspective, or more up-to-date information could be offered. I don't see why, even if accompanied by a winking smilie, that a referral to the search function would be considered helpful....unless accompanied by an answer to the original question with a suggestion that there could be some additional historical information out there. For example, if I answered every question regarding the Pride sailing out of Baltimore with, "Check my review," That would be obnoxious, imo. If I answer the question and refer the poster to my review that may offer some additional information, that would be helpful, imo.

If I thought that a question was pointless or designed to create discord, then I would ignore it.

Even if a question is asked 100 times, there is always the possibility that a new perspective, or more up-to-date information could be offered. I don't see why, even if accompanied by a winking smilie, that a referral to the search function would be considered helpful....unless accompanied by an answer to the original question with a suggestion that there could be some additional historical information out there. For example, if I answered every question regarding the Pride sailing out of Baltimore with, "Check my review," That would be obnoxious, imo. If I answer the question and refer the poster to my review that may offer some additional information, that would be helpful, imo.

If I thought that a question was pointless or designed to create discord, then I would ignore it.

I was mentioning this thread to my husband last night, and he had another perspective: sometimes newbies asks questions they they may know can be answered by looking through the archives because they want to join the *community* here, and the question was their way in.

Another reason to be nice to them. :-)

I agree.. things change and change often!

For example.. If someone wanted information on the Paradise (just at the time they made it a 'smoking ok' ship)... any information in the search option back then would most likely state its a nonsmoking ship..

So the info would be antiquated...

I really dont care how often the same question is asked.. I skip the thread if I am not interested.. These boards are supposed to help people who want to cruise.. from a newbie to an oldbie (;)).. and isnt it supposed to be fun talking about it? about our experiences and our shared love of all things cruising?

I may be wrong but also isnt this site more profitable by the amount of traffic that goes through? the more hits the better?

I am a longtime political board moderator/admin, on a political board there arent stupid questions, but there are :mad: ones, depending on which side of the aisle you are on :D

I came here just recently with tons of questions, i am no where near thru and will ask many more, and so far I have been treated very well

couple of smart a$$ remarks but you cant avoid those on the internet

this community has a spirit about it of happiness and excitement that i identify with...:eek:

one complaint was my use of colors on text...life is too short to go thru it colorless

I really dont care how often the same question is asked.. I skip the thread if I am not interested.. These boards are supposed to help people who want to cruise.. from a newbie to an oldbie (;)).. and isnt it supposed to be fun talking about it? about our experiences and our shared love of all things cruising?

I agree with this, but in order for that to work, I strongly prefer that the thread have a title that really indicates what it is about. I hate when the title is along the lines of "Another Question" or something else vague. If it is a question about certain topics, I will want to read and participate. If it is a question about other topics, I will have no interest, and my time will be wasted going into it (the first time, and all the subsequent times I venture in, having forgotten what the topic was).

I'd REALLY appreciate it if people could attempt to entitle their threads with specificity... :)

Just think.....

If everyone used the search function as they are supposed to, there would not be too much on the boards to post:eek::eek::eek:

I agree, when I was new, I had no idea about the Search function, Ports of call, Cabin selections, Roll Calls and the multitude of other categories to chose from. I was just so happy to find this site and be a part of it:D:D...

Ahhhhh, the good ole days:cool:

I agree with this, but in order for that to work, I strongly prefer that the thread have a title that really indicates what it is about. I hate when the title is along the lines of "Another Question" or something else vague. If it is a question about certain topics, I will want to read and participate. If it is a question about other topics, I will have no interest, and my time will be wasted going into it (the first time, and all the subsequent times I venture in, having forgotten what the topic was).

I'd REALLY appreciate it if people could attempt to entitle their threads with specificity... :)

Not only that, a discuss that can start out about the buffet can end up being about the water slides on a totally different ship. It's really hard to gauge whether or not you have interest in a topic if you don't read it first.

Thats Very true.. some use attention getting headlines LOL

I'm glad this was brought up. I too have found so much valuable information here but I am more hesitant to post because I don't feel "welcome" here or I'm afraid that one of my questions may be deemed "stupid". I'll just continue to search various topics for my answers and if I can't find an answer, I'll hope that it is eventually answered.

I am no stranger to message boards. I am an administrator of a fairly large board for a NY Times best selling author and I've been a moderator for an NBC board for one of their hit TV shows. From my experience, there IS more hostility on this board than I have seen on other message boards.

The atmosphere here won't keep me from lurking or reading, but I am not likely to post much or join any of the "Crazy Cruises" that are organized.

I agree. There is A LOT of hostility here. I've been here and lurking for years, but I don't usually ask question out of fear of the rude and unnecessary remarks. I have asked a few questions and was scared of the remarks I would get with those. I do believe that there are some people that like to help,but some that just wanna be plain old rude. When I did ask questions,I got decent replies :)

As fars as the search,when I came across this board the first time,I didn't know about the search at all. I didn't know how specific I should be with my title,I just wanted answers.

I was mentioning this thread to my husband last night, and he had another perspective: sometimes newbies asks questions they they may know can be answered by looking through the archives because they want to join the *community* here, and the question was their way in.

So true.

I agree. There is A LOT of hostility here. I've been here and lurking for years, but I don't usually ask question out of fear of the rude and unnecessary remarks. I have asked a few questions and was scared of the remarks I would get with those. I do believe that there are some people that like to help,but some that just wanna be plain old rude.

As far as the search,when I came across this board the first time,I didn't know about the search at all. I didn't know how specific I should be with my title,I just wanted answers.

So true.

cuted, I think that there can be people in bad moods or thinking they are really right (see my bad one in the dining mates thread :o earlier) that will argue or debate a subject if they think it's right.

There are a few, and I admit to being one of them, that have odd senses of humor and sometimes just can't resist a bit of a comment, or respond to joke posts (I really believe randys was joking about bringing his own microwave on board:eek:)

I think you have to grow some thicker skin, I know I had my feelings hurt numerous times when I first started posting on CC, but you know, when you learn not to take things personally, you can take it with the grain of salt and learn what you need to from it.

We cannot control anothers fingers from typing something insulting or snarky, but we can control our own response to it.

There are people here that I admire greatly and have learned so much from, but omg they can be so rough when they are rough.

I just take what I can from it and I cannot resist fighting for what I believe in, and we have some extremely sensitive subjects here. But what enlightenment to get all these different viewpoints.

I really think you just need to not worry about people jumping or flaming you, if there is one particular person that is consistently mean then just use your ignore option on them, viola, gone.

Happy Cruising, Carole

Just think.....

If everyone used the search function as they are supposed to, there would not be too much on the boards to post

I agree, when I was new, I had no idea about the Search function, Ports of call, Cabin selections, Roll Calls and the multitude of other categories to chose from. I was just so happy to find this site and be a part of it...

Ahhhhh, the good ole days

Haha.....see, that's why I always suggest the search function to the new kids! Not to be a witch about it, but to more of a "You may not have noticed yet, but there is an awesome search function up there, that will be a good resource for you, too!" I'll have to double-check from now and make sure I'm not coming off like a jerk. :p

I actually like the search pretty well....since it's gone mostly-functional, I haven't had any issues with it. You just gotta play with your search terms.

I too have at times been put in my place by fellow CC members. I do use the search feature but honestly it took me a long time to learn to navigate this forum (and I am fairly computer literate but this is the only forum I use so I don't have tons of forum experience). Being a single mom I don't have tons of time to sort through pages upon pages of info to find the exact answer I'm looking for. I also may have to log out for more then several hours so that I can tend to my responsibilities and I may not have time to clarify my questions right way.

I also feel as though communication through modern standards can be taken waaaayyyyy out of context so it's necessary to take it with a grain of salt.

Nothing that is said on this post is going to "change" the way people answer or post. So with being said...and in the famous words of my father..."We can agree to disagree".

I just finished reading 2 threads from OPs that had real questions for help and am amazed at all the criticism. I have received so much valuable info on these boards it has really help make my cruise experiences great. I do not visit these boards year round like some must with the thousands and thousands of posts, so when a CC member only has a few posts, why are they being criticized for their question because they don't have that many posts??

Sorry to all the veteran posters, we new posters may ask stupid questions,but if you think they are stupid or can not offer real help, then don't reply.

And thanks to the most of you that do,You have been great!!!!!!!!:)

Agreed

I agree, things can get pretty rude here. I no longer visit unless I have a cruise booked. I have been jumped on several times for asking questions. I guess some people stay on here

every day and know pretty much what has been asked, but those of us that are not here all the time don't. I have been REALLY jumped on for asking a question that I didn't go back 30 pages to find out that someone else had asked the same question. I would really like to see the Hosts control this a little more. After all none of us have all the answers, that's why we ask the questions.

Thanks,

Doug

There are a few, and I admit to being one of them, that have odd senses of humor and sometimes just can't resist a bit of a comment, or respond to joke posts (I really believe randys was joking about bringing his own microwave on board:eek:)

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkk only one edit allowed, my post should have read I really believed randys was joking about bringing his microwave on board.

Now I'm not so sure because he is still active and asking questions, so if I insulted him I'm sorry but bringing your own microwave on a ship in my mind is out there............

I have been on this thread for 9 years. I started cruising in 1980 (wonderful, best ever, Sitmar) before there were any message boards and some of the CC posters were just young wee tots. I was here in the days of Kuki (great guy, now on Cruisemates)...I usually visit the Ports of Call board for excursion info when I have an upcoming cruise. I have booked some great independent tours. If I don't have a cruise planned, I rarely visit the boards. I think there are some wonderful posters, who no matter how many times they have to answer the same question, will answer daily (OK, they probably have their answers already saved and just cut and paste). If I'm not in the first 5 or 6 answers for a question, then I don't bother. I know I can help with questions on the Westcoast Departure thread (Seattle), so I try to help out there. Yes, I get annoyed with the thread hijacking and banter between posters and replies like, LOL!...those serve no purpose, but to get posters numbers up. They really do need chat rooms (or maybe they already do). But that is what the ignore button is for. I know some people really like to chat on message boards. That's OK for them, I don't have the time. I definitely think it has changed over the last 9 years. I don't think in 9 years, I have ever asked a question, because I am a google freak...I admit it...LOL! So, please, all you newbies, keep asking questions....if people are mean, stick them on ignore. People here are generally nice here and very helpful. And hopefully, all you newbies will become cruiseaholics like the rest of us...

RIP Michael and Farrah

• 1 month later...
I think the posters on CC are way more pleasant than the posters on the Carnival boards. Usually when I have a question I ask here and lurk there. Way too rough for me.:(

i agree, there are several blatant trolls who roam around on the Carnival boards!:mad: there is a lot more hijacking and personal attacks thrown around there.:( i think that "newbs" should try to do a little research before asking questions, but on the flip side people shouldn't strive to flame someone just for the sake of them being a new poster.

Although this type thread has previously been posted, I agree with the OP and most of the responses. I have only been a member for 2 years, but most of my posts have been in roll calls for booked cruises.

It seems far too many posters have become confrontational when responding to questions, not just newbies but anyone. Opinions are just that, but not necessarily fact or truth. I have responded to posters negatively before, but it was to respond to their attacks, not questions. If we all thought alike, life would be pretty boring. If all cruise lines were all the same, we wouldn't have any loyalty to any line or any reason to attempt to reach certain rewards levels.

Some people assume everyone here is net savvy because we have found our way to CC. I am not a member of any other board or social network group. I have heard of facebook and Twitter, but have no idea what they are or how they function. I guess what all this is saying, let's just answer the question, no matter how trivial it seems to us, or let's just not respond.

Archived