Unreal

gregpete

I couldn't belive this woman's comments when I read it the first time on John's blog. The gall of some people. John is popular and knows his business, He's got the knack of knowing how to diffuse people when they're upset. Whether or not there is resolution to his offerings of help, I don't know...I would never ask and I agree folks take advantage of his visibility with the cruise line. Sometimes I don't like reading the Q & A as is seems most people are asking for freebies......:eek:

I agree.. I can understand asking him who you should go to as he may know, but asking him to personally handle something.. .. weird... I know he seems more than happy to help but he must really think that CC is full of a bunch of nuts!... oh wait.. it is!!!!!! lol:eek::p

You know what though? John Herald is amazing at Customer Service. Read his reply,he didn't take it personal, belittle or disregard the customer or their request (I agree it was really nervy and I couldn't respond as such, which is why I'm NOT in CS).

But he was amazing, he managed to not tell the person she would get what she requested, but made her feel important, and made her claim feel like it was going to get some attention.

How hard would it be to look back at the persons past guest number to see if indeed the coupon had been issued and if it was ever used.

They could go, have an awesome time and be repeat customers, which like it or not, this is how the company makes money, if you are selling a product that has competitors out there you HAVE to make CS your priority.

Kudos to John Herald, what a great PR man!!!!

Carole

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/22/what-not-to-wear/#more-9521

Now I have been reading his blog for sometime, I just never really saw the questions. So today I decided that I would look at the questions that were on there. I found this one:

Tracy Fisher Asked:

I had taken your cruise line for the first time NOT as a cruise group tour agent but for a personal tour that knew I could sell out if it were true last Dec. to the Panama Canal. Needless to say it was a horrible (to say the least) experience and I SWORE I would NEVER use your cruise line again. I was sent a certificate for I think 30 – 40 % off a cruise in lieu of compensation and have lost it. If you could produce another certificate (Quickly) for me I would consider another cruise with you cruise line, between my family and myself all being retired (almost) recently and coming into some money we travel extensively by cruise ship. What I am saying in short is that there is a cruise I am interested in that you offer for next month (July 2009) that I am interested in taking with a couple of my grandchildren and would give your cruise line another chance. However, the higher ups are choosing not to respond to my letter so if you can work some magic and have them make me another deal or give me some kind of compensation then I am still interested in trying your cruise line one more time. I take probably close to (35 cruises approximately) per year and would like to spread the wealth before taking all our business elsewhere. We also prefer suites if and/or when you have them available. Thank you.

Tracy Fisher

After a Customer Service rep deals with idiots like this .....then those who have real legitimate complaints or concerns may not get the real consideration they deserve. Hard not to get jaded when you work with abusers day in and day out.

Am I the only one that had a hard time reading the begining of that question?

LOL

And really...who takes 35 cruises a year? why not 52? :p:rolleyes:

You would be surprised what some people count as "cruises". An acquaintance was a Travel Agent all her life and every time she stepped on a ship for one of their 3 hour tours and lunch....she counted it as a "cruise".

She said the high number made her sound like an "expert on the product".

I told her..."listen...you did not "cruise" anywhere." I reminded her that she could not speak like an expert on the subject, when she had not experienced it. 3 hours and lunch does not make anyone an expert on how the beds slept, how the cabin stewards did, what the entertainment is like or even what dinner in the formal dining room is like.

So when someone says they go on 35 cruises a year....they very well may have...but again...they may have just done 3 hours and lunch.

Apparently some people don't know the difference between a cruise and a TOUR!

agree 100%. I enjoy reading John's Blog, but usually skip over the Q&A because I think "Why are they bothering John with this?"

You read my mind.

When his blog first came out, the readers tried to steer it more to fun and information and less complaining. Every now and then we posters have to put that "reminder" out there that Carnival already has a Guest Services department and that is where people should go.

Lately if it isn't someone complaining....it is someone "begging" for something free and that is even worse.

wow she got a certificate for 30% to 40% off?? thats boggling my mind. My PVP said they rarely give 15% off which is about the top she has seen.

If she was indeed sent a certificate for that much off (doesnt sound right, maybe off retail), Im sure it has a tracking # and Carnival can replace it if they have the cruise booking # that she complained about. That is a huge discount. Wonder why the person discarded it in the first place.

It may have been a situation like our family had in Galveston last year where Gustav cut our 5 day cruise to 2 ports to 3 days to nowhere.

Carnival refunded us 50% and gave us a 50% certificate off a future cruise.

You can bet I did not lose that one!! In fact, I had it spent within 2 days of being home...they never even got the chance to mail it to me.

You know what though? John Herald is amazing at Customer Service. Read his reply,he didn't take it personal, belittle or disregard the customer or their request (I agree it was really nervy and I couldn't respond as such, which is why I'm NOT in CS).

But he was amazing, he managed to not tell the person she would get what she requested, but made her feel important, and made her claim feel like it was going to get some attention.

How hard would it be to look back at the persons past guest number to see if indeed the coupon had been issued and if it was ever used.

They could go, have an awesome time and be repeat customers, which like it or not, this is how the company makes money, if you are selling a product that has competitors out there you HAVE to make CS your priority.

Kudos to John Herald, what a great PR man!!!!

Carole

Some of his best Blogs are about the "situations" (complaints) that he gets on a ship while he is CD and how he handles them.

He has a MUCH longer fuse than I do. I don't see how he does it.

People have talked to him horribly and he just takes it. However, don't mess with his staff or crew.

There was one incident with a French Travel Agent who was on one of those 3 hour and lunch tours and she started smoking at the Buffet line. One of the lady waiters courteously asked her to please put it out since smoking indoors at that location was not allowed. The TA was unbelievably rude and swearing at the lady waiter.

This TA dropped the cigarette to the floor and proceeded to grind it into the flooring (which she knew the waiter would have to clean up).

WRONG....John saw the whole thing and leapt like Super Cruise Man to the rescue. Bottom line...that TA was on hands and knees cleaning up her on mess!!!

Carnival Messed up my wifes and I's Wedding and all I got was 10% off which i saved and i'm using in Nov .. well not carnival directly it was more the wedding department. People should be thankfull you can go on a 6 day vacation for $329 a person

Some of his best Blogs are about the "situations" (complaints) that he gets on a ship while he is CD and how he handles them.

He has a MUCH longer fuse than I do. I don't see how he does it.

People have talked to him horribly and he just takes it. However, don't mess with his staff or crew.

There was one incident with a French Travel Agent who was on one of those 3 hour and lunch tours and she started smoking at the Buffet line. One of the lady waiters courteously asked her to please put it out since smoking indoors at that location was not allowed. The TA was unbelievably rude and swearing at the lady waiter.

This TA dropped the cigarette to the floor and proceeded to grind it into the flooring (which she knew the waiter would have to clean up).

WRONG....John saw the whole thing and leapt like Super Cruise Man to the rescue. Bottom line...that TA was on hands and knees cleaning up her on mess!!!

Wow thats awesome, he must be quite the man!!!! No wonder he's so popular. Thanks for sharing,

Carole

Records are kept of issues where a compensation is issued, so replacing the lost document should be no problem - if, in fact, the document was issued in the first place.

This could be a clever person's attempt to score a heavily discounted cruise with a ruse!

I think I'm gonna try that at the supermarket ...

"I had a coupon for 50% off this filet mignon, but I lost it. Can you make me another coupon, or better yet, work a deal with your meat supplier so I can pick the choicest cuts ... that you're still giving me a discount on ..."

LOL, you forgot to add "quickly" because they are only on sale for a week ;):D

###

Love this quote....my parents used to own a dry cleaning bussiness and we would laugh around the store and say that when dumb ass customers like this one would come in and expect us to pull a miracle out of our A--.

What an idiot! I love how she says she would never cruise Carnival again, then she is willing to give them one more chance, then she feels like she should share her wealth along with the other 35 cruises.

I would have wrote back...Sorry that your exsperience didnt go well, however we dont keep track of nut cases who loose there certificates.

Oh by the way, we appreciate that you have given it plenty of thought and want to give us a chance to kiss your A-- and provide you with BIG discounts to journey with us one more time however, after much thought on our side we would prefer that you continue to spread the wealth with our competitors and book cruise #36 with someone else. Its been a pleasure NOT doing bussiness with you. Best regards, Carnival

Well...my Mom was a wise lady and she raised me to understand that the people who "talk the loudest about what they have"....usually have nothing.

Personally, I would be embarrassed to admit in a public forum that the only way I could get that kind of wealth....was by inheritance.

Someone else hit it perfectly on the head earlier...

Read exactly what he wrote back.

He did not tell the lady she would get the discount... Only that he forwarded her issue to someone else. The only thing he actually said was that.... And that the other party would get back to her about it. Lol john would be a good diplomat! After all... Someone once said that diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Someone else hit it perfectly on the head earlier...

Read exactly what he wrote back.

He did not tell the lady she would get the discount... Only that he forwarded her issue to someone else. The only thing he actually said was that.... And that the other party would get back to her about it. Lol john would be a good diplomat! After all... Someone once said that diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

LOL....the version of that definition I heard was to be able to tell someone to preform a physically impossible act on themselves and have them thank you.

:eek::p

LOL....the version of that definition I heard was to be able to tell someone to preform a physically impossible act on themselves and have them thank you.

THAT is a hoot!!! :D

Yes that's my favorite version... But i wasn't sure if it was forum appropriate

YEP

And it the question were posed:

I am sorry .. A while back I had a questionable experience and CCL was kind enough to extend a discount coupon or # to me.. but unfortunately I lost that number.. I may be going out on a limb, but would love to utilize that discount.. Do you think You or Carnival can help me? I know its a bit of a steel nerve to ask, since I did lose it... but I really want to try Carnival again...

If she had written something like that.. a bit more humble... I dont think anyone would have thought twice... :)

I liked the way you worded it Trock! A fine example!

After 30 years of working with the public in one form or another , it no longer surprises me the amount of gall, or the excuses, stories, tales of woe, threats that people will use to get what they want (whether they deserve it or are entitled to it or not).

"between my family and myself all being retired (almost) recently and coming into some money we travel extensively by cruise ship. "

We're all retired ALMOST? I'm almost retired myself I don't work Sat or Sun.

"I take probably close to (35 cruises approximately) per year and would like to spread the wealth before taking all our business elsewhere. We also prefer suites if and/or when you have them available. "

At 35 cruises per year how many years before you've been on every cruise available? and be a VIP on every line?

Oh by the way a suite would be nice.

Archived