Why Seabourn?

alice18

Hello!

My husband I are looking to take a luxury cruise next year and he really wants to travel with Seabourn. I was wondering, since you all seem to have gone at least once, why you recommend Seabourn to us over other ships?

There seems to be so much in common between luxury cruises and I'm just wondering if Seabourn is really the best. We're looking for a somewhat romantic setting with lots to see and do and with good people.

Thanks for helping us with our decision in advance!

Sincerely,

Alice

There seems to be so much in common between luxury cruises and I'm just wondering if Seabourn is really the best. We're looking for a somewhat romantic setting with lots to see and do and with good people.

In a word, "service".

Otherwise, I'd say you've answered your own question! ;) :) And now you have your choice of the smaller triplets, and the new, larger sister!

Whichever you choose, the service will be "simply Seabourn" style, and you won't need to consider other "luxury" lines.

Good luck in your decision! And welcome to the Seabourn CruiseCritic board!

Paul :D

I don't think it is that the other ships are bad. It is just that Seabourn is the best! Service as mentioned before is outstanding plus the friendliness and unpretentious of the guests.

One must try Seabourn and then they will understand why there is a faithful following. IMHO.

>"We're looking for a somewhat romantic setting with lots to see and do and with good people."

That's a bit vague. Do you want a romantic setting with lots to see and do with good people onboard? Or in ports, such as planned group activities. What sort of itinerary do you want.

The little sisters, in my opinion, are like going to someone's country house, with impeccable service and great food and doing what you want. From all accounts, the Odyssey is glitzier and you can be romantic in the Spa Villas for a day for what seems to be big $$$. I am sure if you read the threads, you will find many ideas of why we sail Seabourn more frequently than the other lines. I can promise you I have met all good people on Seabourn: crew, staff, and cruisers.

thank you so much for the response! I'm looking for more of the on-board experience. We're thinking of doing one of the transatlantic cruises so we'd have a few days at sea. We are both very social and I just want to make sure the fellow passengers, since it is such a smaller ship, are social and friendly. However, I can tell from these boards alone that we'll have no trouble making friends!

Everyone here seems so nice. Thank you all for your responses and suggestions... it looks like Seabourn may be for us!

:)

Thank you for your response and opinion! I always need to get a few opinions before committing to a purchase of something I've never tried before.

Have you all ever been on those bigger boats? We went last year for our 5th anniversary... not for us. Too many people and definitely not worth what we paid for a honeymoon suite!

I'm hoping, and am getting the impression, that sailing with Seabourn is much much different.

thanks again!

>" We're thinking of doing one of the transatlantic cruises so we'd have a few days at sea."

Not sure about your definition of 'a few days'. The TA's are usually 10-11 days.

Understood, I may have downplayed the "few days"... ha!

Alice,

You don't even need any sea days on Seabourn to make lifelong friends. When we were on our Med cruise last fall(14 days with only 1 sea day) we met many delightful people --two couples in particular with whom we have now become good friends. We are getting ready to cruise ( on Seabourn of course) in two weeks with one of these couples and are trying to put a trip together with the other couple. I believe that there is an inverse relationship between the number of people on the ship and the number you get to meet. With fewer people you see the same people around all of the time and the atmosphere is more conducive to striking up a conversation than on a big ship.( My only experience was the QE@ -- much too big for me.)

>"( My only experience was the QE@ --much too big for me.)"

What?? You couldn't find one friend out of 2700? Me either. And of course, having to sign for drinks is awkward if you have just met someone.

(Although one of my dining mates had dated a cousin in their teen years, so I got caught up on the family doings.)

Oasis of the Seas -- are you kidding me? I am just trying to keep an open mind about Odyssey( and the other Big Sisters) because I know that they are my future at SOME point when the little sisters sail off into the sunset. And yes Jane, we actually met one couple ( out of 2,700) and this was on our one and only transatlantic( and actually we had an extra day because we picked up the ship in Baltimore instead of New York).Strange couple, BTW, but they were on their honeymoon as well ( though they were in their late 60s/early 70's)so we had somethibg ib common .She a rich California widow and he a Brit expat who taught fencing at some college in Tennessee. But you hit the nail on the head about the drinks -- I have said this repeatedly on this meesage board that for me the biggest benefit of the open bar policy is that it does encourage socializing because their is none of the awkward " Whose turn is it to pick up this round of drinks" business.

My wife and I just completed our first Seabourn cruise aboard the Spirit from Venice to Rome. It was absolutely exceptional in every way!! Everyone on the ship's staff was soooo accomodating and soooo happy to help you we were in awe of the whole experience. Nick Hale, the Cruise Director, was the best I have ever encountered. One day he spotted us walking thru one of the ports of call, went out of his way to come over to us and offered to take our picture.

The food was unlike anything I have experienced on a cruise ship. Chef Willy and his kitchen crew are truly artists in food preparation.

We have sailed on Silversea and thought that was the best. We decided we would take Seabourn this time as the itinerary and the timing fit our schedule.

Well, we are already booking our next Seabourn cruise.

>"( My only experience was the QE@ --much too big for me.)"

What?? You couldn't find one friend out of 2700? Me either. And of course, having to sign for drinks is awkward if you have just met someone.

(Although one of my dining mates had dated a cousin in their teen years, so I got caught up on the family doings.)

QM2 is 2,700 pax. QE2 had several configurations over the years but was around 1,700 pax. I know, still too big.

QM2 is 2,700 pax. QE2 had several configurations over the years but was around 1,700 pax. I know, still too big.

Thanks, I was thinking of the QM2 since it's the largest I have been on. My parents however, were devotees of the QE2. And of course, The France. And Seabourn, of course. That;s how I got snookered in.

Well even give or take a thousand still to many to suit me. Have friends going on Regent 16 days over Christmas/ New Years San Diego to FLL -- were tempted by wanting to see them but just cannot fathom cruising with 700 people (not to mention missing Seabourn). So we have passed.

As I have said before, I was on the Regent Voyager last Christmas and found it lovely and not at all crowded. Even the children were occupied and were barely noticeable. And when they were, they were fun to watch.The suites were lovely and while the entertainment needed help the crew and staff were wonderful. The pool is great and the specialty restaurants were very good. After a day, I ws quite acclimated to 700 passengers. But we were sailing with friends, so that helped. Don't rule it out.

Jane,

I appreciate the encouragement --eventhough we would be with friends I am just not there yet. Maybe after I first step up to Odyssey...

Of course if first you do the Voyager, then the Odyssey will seem as small as her little sisters! <G>

Well even give or take a thousand still to many to suit me. Have friends going on Regent 16 days over Christmas/ New Years San Diego to FLL -- were tempted by wanting to see them but just cannot fathom cruising with 700 people (not to mention missing Seabourn). So we have passed.

I agree... We're just not interested in the larger ships anymore!:D

As I have said before, I was on the Regent Voyager last Christmas and found it lovely and not at all crowded. Even the children were occupied and were barely noticeable. And when they were, they were fun to watch.The suites were lovely and while the entertainment needed help the crew and staff were wonderful. The pool is great and the specialty restaurants were very good. After a day, I ws quite acclimated to 700 passengers. But we were sailing with friends, so that helped. Don't rule it out.

Are there many children that go on Seabourn cruises?

Generally speaking, there tend to be more children on hoiday cruises and in the summer. I would say on most of our cruises there has been an average of one child under 18.

And yes, I could trick myself into accepting Odyssey's size by cruising Regent first-- but as long as the little sisters are around I'll stick with them.

Archived