Baby/toddler in the dining room?

ehough

This is our first cruise with kids, however I'm a bit shocked to read that so many other people are offended that people cruise with kids. I mean - if they go to a restaurant on land, are they shocked to see kids in there, too? Even pre-kids, I never would have thought it was rude or inconsiderate for someone to take their child on vacation or to a restaurant, etc. :confused:

Anycase, I'm enjoying hearing what others say. My girls will be 2 1/2 and just barely 4 when we cruise in January. I've been a bit worried about them disturbing others but the only reason it's occured to me to be worried is the few posts I'ev seen on here about people getting upset. I plan to bring a portable DVD player for my girls and each night give them a small (Dollar Tree item) for each of them so they have something "new" to keep them interested for that night's dinner. Here's hoping it works! But if not, I'm prepared to leave. Normally if they hear that they won't get dessert or some special outing they wanted to do if they don't behave, that works to straighten them out. :p

Yes. Yes they are. Those who believe children should not be allowed into cruise ship dining rooms feel the same way about all dining rooms. They think families should be restricted to McDonald's and Chuck E. Cheese. :p

In my opinion, this is another one of those 'you know your own kids' things. We make a point of taking our daughter out and discussing proper table manners and pointing out anyone around us who doesn't have them... open mouthed chewing is the most common offense. I once saw a grown man eat his peas off of his knife, also... at my high school graduation, dressed in his best suit. At the ripe old age of 17, I was mortified. :eek:

To the OP, and anyone else who is planning their first cruise with kids along, just spend a little time in restaurants at home. Not only is it an opportunity to prepare and practice, but if it turns out that your child(ren) just don't have the temperament for formal dining, you'll know in advance before your cruise and can make arrangements accordingly. :)

i am a stay at home dad to a 16 month old. we are cruising in jan ,she'll be 20 months. i am so glad i read all these posts, as i was very nervous about the dining room. also just a suggestion i got from another cc we are bringing a small blow up kiddie pool as she is not potty trained that way we can still sit on the pool deck and she can still have fun in the water

This is our first cruise with kids, however I'm a bit shocked to read that so many other people are offended that people cruise with kids. I mean - if they go to a restaurant on land, are they shocked to see kids in there, too? Even pre-kids, I never would have thought it was rude or inconsiderate for someone to take their child on vacation or to a restaurant, etc. :confused:

Anycase, I'm enjoying hearing what others say. My girls will be 2 1/2 and just barely 4 when we cruise in January. I've been a bit worried about them disturbing others but the only reason it's occured to me to be worried is the few posts I'ev seen on here about people getting upset. I plan to bring a portable DVD player for my girls and each night give them a small (Dollar Tree item) for each of them so they have something "new" to keep them interested for that night's dinner. Here's hoping it works! But if not, I'm prepared to leave. Normally if they hear that they won't get dessert or some special outing they wanted to do if they don't behave, that works to straighten them out. :p

That is all that we would ask/expect and what we did with our DD. The problem comes when some parents do what uppitycats wrote about. Sadly, there have been times in the MDR when a number of parents have decided that a cruise = a break from parenting (or perhaps they don't parent well at home either; I don't know). We've seen waiters basically knocked over by toddlers running around the room--and then the parents yell at the waiters, of course; we've seen and heard children screaming or yelling or banging things on the table over and over with their parents ignoring it while everyone around them suffers. I think part of the reason it's noticable is that the tables are fairly close together and the dining rooms are sizeable, so many children tend to be dining at the same time. I think also that some people equate the MDR with "5-star, rarely a child in sight" dining, which it is not. It is nice; it is an attractive space; it can feel elegant; but intimate dining it is not.

I think you'll probably have no problems at all because you are obviously the kind of parent who cares about those around you and about teaching your children appropriate behavior. (Yep, the old "dessert only if you behave" bribe usually works like a charm.) A small new (quiet) item each night is a great idea. And on the subject of "quiet," please be sure to use headphones for the DVD. You may already be doing that and are thinking, "Well, of course," but some parents don't and then they wonder why the passengers around them aren't thrilled to have to hear a children's DVD all evening during an elegant meal.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. There may be a few curmudgeons who don't think children even belong on cruises, but they are usually the minority.

beachchick

I will be in the minority on this one, but we prefer late seating dinner. We have a 2.5 year old. As an infant he slept during the late seating and now we often send him to Camp Carnival during dinner. Just something to consider.

We have cruised Carnival 7 times with him. On 7 day cruises we have been seated at a table for two or four. On four day cruises we have always been seated with families with other children.

As far as cruising Carnival with children, it's part of the package. Carnival is made for children. Although we dine out with our son on a regular basis, there are certain restaurants that we do not take him to because they are not child friendly. It's the same with cruising. If you booked with another line, the dining room would not be appropriate, but on Carnival it is the norm.

Even if you choose to not dine in the dining room on formal night, make sure to buy you son a tux. The pictures are priceless.

A child who's barely walking does NOT need a tux...pictures or not....dress in nice clothes as you would for anything but a trip to Wal-mart.

Children are more than welcome in the dining room for every evening. Yes, it's true that some folks don't think kids belong anywhere... (and if they really scream and carry on, I have to agree!), but well-behaved kids are NOT a problem!

you know what a kid is a kid period !!!!!! these ppl that think kids should not be there maybe they are the ones that should leave the mdr. i know when my daughter needs to be removed from a situation but for the most part she is well behaved. if another guest can't handle kids there maybe they should not be on a FAMILY!!!! cruise ship :D

you know what a kid is a kid period !!!!!! these ppl that think kids should not be there maybe they are the ones that should leave the mdr. i know when my daughter needs to be removed from a situation but for the most part she is well behaved. if another guest can't handle kids there maybe they should not be on a FAMILY!!!! cruise ship :D

True, but it's not a "family cruise ship." It's a cruise ship for everyone, so it's not unreasonable for those who cruise without children to expect parents to remove their children if the children are not behaving appropriately. As long as you know when your daughter needs to be removed from a situation, then no problem. It's the parents who allow their children to scream, run around, etc. without doing anything about it who cause a problem for everyone around them (even other parents who cruise with their children).

beachchick

like i said i'm a new dad but i gotta tell u i see a huge difference in the way we are treated when we go out !! my daughter is a good girl has her moments no question.i just think the way people sterotype you when u first walk in the door is unfair . they have there mind made up from the moment they see a toddler that that kid just ruined there dinner . those are the kind of people i was talking about

Archived