clamshell on Half Moon Cay

pale lady

I know the cabanas on Half Moon Cay sell out fast and you have to go as soon as you get on board if you want one. Do the Clamshells sell this fast? Do you have to reserve one as soon as you get on the ship or can you wait till you get to HMC? I am very light skinned and burn very easily. I wanted some protection from the sun. Don't want to look like the lobster served at diner! Thanks.

I know the cabanas on Half Moon Cay sell out fast and you have to go as soon as you get on board if you want one. Do the Clamshells sell this fast? Do you have to reserve one as soon as you get on the ship or can you wait till you get to HMC? I am very light skinned and burn very easily. I wanted some protection from the sun. Don't want to look like the lobster served at diner! Thanks.

The clam shells are 'built in' so to speak. You rent the 'pole' for $15 that holds the shell open

They wont sell out.. but a 'perfect' location may.. Get off the ship early!

We will. We are leaving the kids and hubbys behind and getting away, just us two girls (some would say old ladies! In our 40's). It will be nice ot not have to worry about anyone but me. I have a great hubby that has no problem letting me go. I think I will keep him (been 23 years!)

It is worth knowing if you are there alone or with another ship. If there is going to be another ship there with you there will be a large number of people there...so I would definitely reserve it either before you leave or immediately upon boarding the ship.

As said by the other poster, I would get there soon if you want to get a good location. For us a good location means closer to the entrance because we don't like to walk far down the beach (and we got the first clam shell in the row), but many do like it much farther down the beach.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!!!

We will. We are leaving the kids and hubbys behind and getting away, just us two girls (some would say old ladies! In our 40's). It will be nice ot not have to worry about anyone but me. I have a great hubby that has no problem letting me go. I think I will keep him (been 23 years!)

You are going to love it!!!

Come back with a review and photos!

I was so disappointed that we could not get a cabana, but I've gotta tell ya, I was very happy with this clamshell. Lots of room, easy to get out of the sun, and we chose a spot conveniently down the beach kinda away from the hubbub, but near the music (see the deck in the background?). Have a good time!

P1140711.jpg

It is worth knowing if you are there alone or with another ship. If there is going to be another ship there with you there will be a large number of people there...so I would definitely reserve it either before you leave or immediately upon boarding the ship.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!!!

We weren't able to reserve clamshells ahead of time the last time I was at HMC. You could only rent the clamshell when you got to the beach.

Pale Lady - I understand your need for shade. I had basal cell and reconstructive surgery on my nose, and now have even developed a sun allergy!!! You need to book the cabana immediately when you board the ship. We were 3rd in line and the cabana we wanted (#6) which was in the shade was already taken! They suggested the orange (#4) was shady, so we took it. It was in the blazing sun - we kept creeping back in our cabana until we were almost sitting on the shelf to avoid the sun!.. #3 or 5 also has some shade. It is worth the time waiting in line for it. HMC was extremely hot when we went (August last year). The cabana had AC and a couple of misting fans on the deck which we pointed in towards us. It was a godsend for us.

As for the clamshells, I hear they are an oven after a short while. Many people propped them up on rocks or whatever they had to let air in through the back. There are some shaded areas which you can drag your chairs under for some shade. This would probably be cooler than the clamshells.

Good luck and enjoy your day on HMC!

Thanks to all of you that replied. I am so excited about this trip. I need a break. I will try and write a review when I get back (no promises). My digital camera died last week so I am taking disposable ones with me. So I will have to get the film developed and then transfer it to my computer. Might take me a while I am a computer dummy. Can't afford to by new camera, spent all the money on trip!

I was on the Miracle wk. of June 9th and heard lots of negative comments regarding the clamshells. The day was beatiful but very hot and people found that not only was it extremely hot inside the shells but they could not even see the beach as the shells are at the very back and in front are rows and rows of beach chairs. What we did was walk a little past the mid beach area and found some trees that provided enough shade; there too were plenty of beach chairs. Just a little further to walk when it is lunch time. Hope you have a great day as the water there is absolutely wonderful and the clearest I have ever, ever seen. You will love it!

Archived