Good eats in SA?

Danz726

Hello everyone,

I will be cruising around SA in 2005 on the Amsterdam ship and was wondering if anyone had some insights to good resturants in Rio, BA, and Chile. I will be in Rio for my birthday and want to enjoy a nice dinner at some local resturant. Thanks for the input in advance. Please feel free to offer any other tips you may have about sailing SA.:D

A local dish you will only find near Puerto Montt: Curanto.

You can get it at Pazos, a 5 minute cab ride from the port at: Liboro Guerrero 1, Pelluco. Some Chilean friends took me there and the food is great although a little more expensive than some average places in Puerto Montt. Curanto is a mix of mussels, clams, sausage, chicken, pork, beef, and a gooey pancake steamed in a large pot and served with a cup of broth.

In talking with other poeple about this SA cruise I was repeatedly told about a restaurant in Punta Arenas called Sotito's Bar. I heard from someone that Sotito’s had the best king crab in Chile. We had huge chunks of lump crab meat in a bowl with a little cream to keep it moist and then covered with cheese and baked. Oh my goodness!!! It was an amazing meal. Sotito’s does have the best king crab in Chile and dare I say anywhere else. If you're interested, ask around. Sotito's is near the port and a pretty popular place.

Archived