Thomson Ships Tatty??

Hi, Read some of Thomsons ships are Imformal but heard poeple say they are old and tatty, I know they are 3rd/4th/5th Hand ships and are small so what would I expect from cruising with Ocean Village?? :confused::confused:

The built in furniture in some of the cabins has a radio with big plastic push buttons which we reckoned must have dated back to at least the early 1980s if not ealier.

On my last trip on Destiny the coverlet on my bed had a great tear in it so I reported it to housekeeping and it was removed. I expected a new replacement but just got the old one back having been darned!

The ships are definately past their sell by date however the attitude of the staff and the quality of the entertainment make up for this, in my view. If Thomsons upgraded their ships to more modern ones with larger cabins and balconies then they would definately have my custom.

Food - similar quality to OV. Thomsons has the option of more formal dining.

Entertainment - Thomsons has far better shows. OV can be great but can be mediocre for shows (shows OK but some of tribute acts aren't up to scratch, although some are excellent)

Excursions and itineraries - I would rate both on a par with each other

Cabins - Thomsons very small, dull and shabby in places - OV bright and large plus option of balconies

Ships - More activities during the day with Thomsons. Pool decks small and at rear of ship on Spirit/Celebration but on top deck on Destiny. Pool deck on Destiny very similar to same space on OV/OV2

Quiz prizes not comparable ;) - large quiz on pool deck on Thomsons and we won a small tin of mint imperials. Won quiz on OV and got a voucher for 2 very large ice cream sundaes. Guess which I preferred!!!:D

hi ive been on both ships the passengers on the ocean village are much younger the thomson food is much better but on the whole thomson ships are small dark and old fashioned.really it depends how old you are and what are your priorities.

Definately worth making comparisons - I have at least 4 cruises to book before the final OV ship goes downunder:D

Having said that, though, I am considering Pharoahs and the Promised Land for April 2010 because of the fabulous itinerary but it is very pricey at the moment and I am not sure that £1,000 per person in a deluxe (non balcony) cabin on Spirit is good value for money.

OK, I rounded it up. The week I want to go and with my chosen airport it is actually £977 per person. A little high given other itineraries you could do in the Eastern med on the same week, especially since the excursions would be harder to do independently and I'd be looking at having to book some full day excursions on the Thompson trip.

I really want to see Jerusalem and Alexandria but I could do different ports and get a balcony cabin for the same price.

We are doing Pharoahs & The Promised land next March on Spirit, we have paid approx £850 each for a deluxe cabin, including a free drinks package on ship, meals and extra leg room on flight.

This is about the same as we have just paid for 7 days cruise On Oceana to the Fjords, no flight, no drinks package.

We will also be looking to do some all day excursions, especially in Israel.:)

Archived