Coffee Plantation in Kona

Deloresgardella

I want to tour a coffee Plantation in Kona and would rather do it on my own since the ships tour is so expensive. That is the only Island that we are not renting a car. Is there cabs at the dock or can we hire a cab for a few hours. I can't find any company that do the plantation. Is there a better way to go about this. We tender in Kona. Can anyone give me any suggestions. Thank you

Delores

Too bad you aren't doing a pre or post cruise visit to the Big Island. There are bed and breakfast facilities located on cofee farms where the farmer himself will give you a free private tour if you stay there. We chose to do our precruise time in Big Island, as there is so much to see there and so little time with the cruise.

Here is a link I came across while looking into things to do for our cruise to Hawaii next April. Lists some coffee farms that you can contact to arrange a tour.

I can't tell you about cabs but maybe it would just be cheaper to rent a car than have a cab driving you around for a few hours?

http://www.konacoffeefarmers.org/farmTours.asp

I want to tour a coffee Plantation in Kona and would rather do it on my own since the ships tour is so expensive. That is the only Island that we are not renting a car. Is there cabs at the dock or can we hire a cab for a few hours. I can't find any company that do the plantation. Is there a better way to go about this. We tender in Kona. Can anyone give me any suggestions. Thank you

Delores

Why don't you rent a car and then follow us??? We are going to Greenwell Farms for a Coffee Plantation tour and do a bit more sight seeing along the way. I can send you my itinerary and show you what we are doing. The rental car company we are using has free pick up service from the pier.

Stefani

Thanks Stefani, but we will probably just go with the ships tour. We just didn't want to rent a car for this Island. This is the only one that we won't rent a car for. I called one of the cab companys and they rent by the hour. $50 an hour. ridiculous.

Delores

Thanks Stefani, but we will probably just go with the ships tour. We just didn't want to rent a car for this Island. This is the only one that we won't rent a car for. I called one of the cab companys and they rent by the hour. $50 an hour. ridiculous.

Delores

Expensive, yes; ridiculous, no. Insurance rates, fuel prices, and other overhead are astronomical in Hawaii. It's not like parts of the Caribbean where you have independent contractors who may or may not have insurance and who may or may not be licensed and who may or may not be paid a livable wage. Think of it like renting a taxi by the hour in any other state (i.e., on the mainland).

beachchick

Delores

Well if you tour you will see how the coffee is grown but if you want to purchase coffee please consider the coffee grown on Kauai. I know Kona is famous but I think you will find the estate coffee on Kauai is not only much less expensive but tastes much better. On the West side of Kauai at 'Ele'ele there is a place run my Kauai Coffee company where you can taste samples and purchase 100% estate coffee (not blended) at very good prices.

I agree that Kauai coffee is a great choice. I don't agree that good quality Kauai coffee is better than good quality Kona coffee; just that it's different. In fact, my DH and I have blended 100% Kauai and 100% Kona several times when making coffee--Yum!

beachchick

Archived