Poll - Is bigger always better?

Is bigger always better?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Is bigger always better?

Well, you probably know what the poll is about - are bigger ships always better?

My answer is NO. I personally think the Spirit Class ships are the perfect size. The main problem with the Destiny Class ships and their derivatives are the fact that their dining hall/galley layout is clumsy and outdated. I don't see why anyone would prefer their layout over the Spirit Class layout. I wish Carnival Corporation would order a new ship for Carnival based on the Costa Luminosa, which has the efficient Spirit Class layout.

I loved the Splendor and she is the biggest at the moment. As long as the ship takes me to the ports I want to go, it does not make any difference to me what size she is. I do not sail for the ship, I sail for the ports that they take me.

On Carnival, I maxed out on the Destiny Class. Too crowded, and I didn't like the layout. When I heard the Conquest class was just a bigger version, I passed, and settled nicely on the Spirit class. Not sure why there are only 4. I guess it has to do with the $$.

I never thought I'd like bigger until I sailed on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. LOVED IT! Lots of nooks and crannies, and not crowded at all.

So far I like the Spirit class best, then the Fantasy class. I did like the Destiny better than the Glory. So, it seems to me at this point that bigger is not always better. The layout of the Spirit class is awesome since you don't have change floors to go from one side of the ship to the other.

Well, you probably know what the poll is about - are bigger ships always better?

My answer is NO. I personally think the Spirit Class ships are the perfect size. The main problem with the Destiny Class ships and their derivatives are the fact that their dining hall/galley layout is clumsy and outdated. I don't see why anyone would prefer their layout over the Spirit Class layout. I wish Carnival Corporation would order a new ship for Carnival based on the Costa Luminosa, which has the e

efficient Spirit Class layout.

My favorite sized ships have been approximately 90,000 tons which includes Celebrity's M class ships, Norwegian Dawn, Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas, and Holland America's Westerdam. We have a cruise booked on the Carnival Legend, which is also that size and are looking forward to it.

Based on our experience, they are large enough to have all the necessary amenities, as well as spacious cabins, without feeling crowded.

My answer is NO. I personally think the Spirit Class ships are the perfect size. The main problem with the Destiny Class ships and their derivatives are the fact that their dining hall/galley layout is clumsy and outdated. I don't see why anyone would prefer their layout over the Spirit Class layout. I wish Carnival Corporation would order a new ship for Carnival based on the Costa Luminosa, which has the efficient Spirit Class layout.

Depends on what size you are comparing.......the spirit class ship is substantially bigger then the Holiday and Fantasy class.......

We've sailed all the classes of the ships and prefer the bigger ships. Wouldn't cruise any more on the smaller ones. Someone said the big ones are too crowded - we thought just the opposite - they were less crowded. Maybe because there are so many other places to be on the ship. We cruise by ship size first, then ports. However, that's what is so great about having different size ships. They can cater to different people's preferences.

i find this poll to be statistically flawed.

the question is misleading.

does bigger always = better. most people would answer no.

even if i prefer bigger ships, i'd have to answer no, because it's not a given.

there could be a bigger ship, that could have nothing but cabins. and nowhere else to go. would anybody ever build a ship like that? no. but in that case, would bigger be better? no.

but it's a nonsensical question. of course you're going to get mostly no's.

could a well designed bigger ship be better than a poorly designed smaller ship? danged right.

PS - i don't understand the hangup on getting from front -> back. seems to me, there's 1 deck that doesn't go front -> back, and that's just for getting to the dining room. so what?! promenade, and almost all passenger decks go front to back.

i think most comments as such come from people who are in the aft dining room, and don't know what to expect. it's not that hard. :)

I do not understand why some people get so strung out over a deck or 2 not having a straight shot from bow to stern. Hardly any ships do have EVERY deck that is full length bow to stern.

You board and SHOULD soon learn that deck 2 and 5 have to be used instead of deck 3 and 4 [or whatever numbers apply]

If one continues to try to get from front to back on 3 or 4 when they know they can't, isn't that a sign of a problem?:D

Now IF they changed which decks ran bow to stern on a daily basis, then I'd be pissed.

Better is better, bigger isn't part of the equation.

I really don't like the bigger ships..... It's too noisy and way too many people. I don't like those monsterous movie screen thingies either...

While I prefer smaller ships in the 900-1500 passenger range, I'm not willing to pay the $$$$ at all. I cruise frequently and prefer to pay a much lower price and go more often.

Sooooo

My strategy is buying a balcony cabin. If the noise and chaos gets too much, I retreat to that lovely balcony where it's quiet, peaceful and will live there for a while.

After sailing the Splendor in April we are so happy that our next cruise will be on the Miracle. We've heard nothing but good things about this ship. We are also booked on the Dream in April 2010 so we'll get a better opportunity to see if the Splendor was really too big for us or if it had more to do with having our itinerary changed to San Fransisco. :confused:

It's not the size of the ship...it's the motion of the ocean:D;)

OMG,too funny!!!!

I love the layout of the Imagination,but I prefer the lido deck layout on the Victory/Triumph. So if those things merged,I would have my perfect ship. I doesn't matter to me what size the boat is if those two things were combined!:)

Saw a list of new ships coming out in the next few years. Smallest has 2900 passengers. Largest has 5200.

Last cruise (on Miracle) we watched from Costa Maya as the Adventure of the Seas disembarked their load. 4000 people getting off the ship. Took almost an Hour from time they opened the gangway until the crowds thinned. By that time the entire port area of Costa Maya was absolutely packed with people.

The biggest problem with larger ships is not getting around the ship, it is what is going on in port.

Imagine, St. Thomas, with the Splendor, Adventure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Miracle, and two or three other ships in port at the same time. It would look like New Orleans at Mardi Gras with 10000 to 20000 cruise ship passengers on shore at the same time. (I seem to remember a post a year or so ago where St. Thomas had NINE ships in port at the same time!)

Spirit class is fine.

Archived