Best deck for Glacier Viewing

tommygirl1

I would imagine how many decks have viewing areas will depend on your ship. I think the Island Princess has 4 or 5 deck options for public viewing. Personally, I plan to be as close to the water as I can--meaning promenade deck probably. that way if we see wildlife, I can get better shots. Not to mention the perspective will be different--lower will make the glacier look higher. But in reality I will probably be moving around. However, I haven't been yet, so I'm not talking from experience!

Don't know Veendam specifics, but the ship will be there a while. Should turn each side of the ship toward the glacier and hold. Plenty to time to move around. Pacific Princess got too crowded on the top decks for us, so we moved to Promenade.

On our Amsterdam cruise, we enjoyed viewing from the Lower Promenade as well as the bow (the "crew only" doors were open for this purpose) -- all the way forward on Lower Promenade. There were people "above us," but I never could quite figure out how to get there. From the show lounge, some people were going "out" through the upper level seating area forward.

The Lido deck portion that is open to the air was also a good viewing location (and upper decks above). Lots of room for those willing to brave the cold air.

Crow's Nest is hot real estate for those who expect a temperature-controlled environment for glacier viewing. We joked one night after visiting the ladies room between the Explorer's Lounge and the Dining Room... it had a HUGE dressing area with floor to ceiling windows. We said that would be a great place for glacier viewing.

TommyGirl1, in addition to trvlcrzy's suggestions, try the Lido deck, all the way forward, in the exercise room where the treadmills are. There's a door to a small viewing deck there. This is a "fresh air" alternative, just like lower Promenade deck, and the bow.

Consider buying a thermal suite pass for your cruise. The thermal loungers have a great view, just like the dressing room! The Steiner spa staff give tours on your first day aboard, ask the price. (Both are "behind glass" alternatives, just like the Crow's Nest. Advantages: climate controlled. Disadvantages: glass gets in the way of photos a bit, and muffles noise of calving glacier.) You MIGHT be able to get a day pass to the thermal suite on glacier viewing day for $40...depends if the week passes sell out.

Just off the Veendam and we stayed on the bow the entire day. It was perfect and the weather was great. I just wore a hoodie. No gloves or hat, I took over 500 pictures that day, ya, I know, over kill but I had to get just the right picture!

We were on Princess and viewed it both from the public decks and from our balcony. I can't say that one was significantly better than the other. On the public decks we were able to hear the nauralist's comments, but they were also available on the TV so we turned up the volume enough to hear on our balcony also.

Archived