HAL Cruisers....Been to Crane Beach, Barbados

sail7seas

I'll go to the shore excursion section, but want to know from HAL cruisers if you have gone to Crane Beach in Barbados on your own? How from is it from the docks? Any trouble getting a taxi back to the ship? Do you recommend it?

I was at Crane's beach in March. It was about a 30-45 minute taxi ride. But it was nice to see pineapple and sugarcane plantations along the way. The beach is gorgeous. The sand had a pink tint to it. The hotel is on a beautiful cliff.There were some vendors that were a little annoying. We entered the beach to the left of the hotel property. Our cabbie told us to do this and we had no problems. We laid on the beach for awhile and when we were ready to leave we just walked up the steps and though the hotel where they called us a cab. Caution though, the stairs up to the resort from the beach are wooden and steep. Any older person may have a hard time.There are restuarants at the hotel, but they looked to be very pricy. Great beach to visit.

Sail, we stayed on Barbados once many years ago and there is a beautiful beach at Sam Lord's Castle if it's still there. At the time I know we drove over there, parked and went onto the beach. The grounds are lovely and the beach had lots of palms. So that's a thought for you.

Have you been to Barbados? It's a magnificent island with so much to see and do. Enjoy!

Good to see you! It's been quiet here lately. Your cruise is getting closer and closer! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Thanks, Heather. The link is helpful.

Hi Heather: Good to be 'here' tonight :)

We've been to Barbados a number of times but have never headed to the beach there and it appeals to us to find a pretty beach and plant ourselves for the day. We are not into alot of running around this upcoming cruise.

We like Barbados and have done the usual 'to do's' in the past.

I had read about Crane's Beach but wasn't sure how far it is from the docks.

Sam Lord's sounds like an option.

We're down to a two week countdown until we leave for Tampa and we are getting eager.

I'm sure there are better maps of Barbados, but this is the best I could do tonight: Destination: Barbados

When you look at the map, H7 is about where Crane's Beach is ... actually it's a little closer to Bridgetown then H7 but that's the only reference point. If I'm not mistaken, Sam Lord's is sort of up from there and around the bend. It's on the Atlantic side.

I'm sure I can do better than this tomorrow:) .

Hi S7S,

We stayed in Barbados for a couple a weeks a few years ago. Cranes Beach is beautiful. The surf is rough, not a calm swimming beach. You can wade in the water, but there is quite an under tow. The hotel is beautiful, we had a great lunch there one afternoon. We used their pool and their beach..no problems.

At the time, we stayed at Sam Lords Castle..it was a Marriott. I have heard that this is now closed. I do not know if it has reopened under new management or not. The grounds were beautiful. The beach here was beautiful, but the surf was rough.

We had a car and drove all over the island. We were about 30 minutes from Bridgetown.

There is a gentleman over on the Barbados board .. I believe he's MrBarbados..he lives on the island and has offered a lot of great tips. I took a tour over there before our November cruise on the Volendam.

Hope this helps!

Peggy Sue

Great help, PeggySue. Thank you.

Think I'll head over to the Barbados Board.

I would have been disappointed to have dragged over to a beach we could not swim at. It would be nice to see the pretty (pink) sand but I'd rather find a beach with calm enough surf for swimming.

I seem to remember something about maybe Miami Beach? I think we were there in the past....maybe near a Hilton Hotel? Very floral area and very pretty.

Sail, if you want calm for swimming you will want to be on the Western side of the island. The beaches you're talking about (Sam Lord's and Cranes) are both on the Eastern Atlantic side and it will always be rough.

So in your search be sure to look for the Caribbean side (Western). There was a magnificent beach where we stayed which was then called Paradise Beach Resort (back in those days it was owned by Cunard). I know that resort is gone, but when we were ont the island a few years ago we were told it was being refurbished to be a new resort.

It's a lovely beach fringed with palms and no waves:) . Here's a link Barbados beaches - Paradise Beach

P.S. Sadly I see it has never reopened. It was bought by Sandals. So now the site says it is most pristene and lovely, but there would obviously be no chairs, etc., offered. However I see there are many other beaches along here (there are links on the site I mention above .. be sure to click on "West Coast Beaches") and all of them are not far from Bridgetown. In fact I recall watching our ship leave port when we stayed on the island.

Oh my, Heather, is that ever pretty!!!

I'd be afraid to go there. We'd probably refuse to leave and we'd be waving the ship goodbye as we watched, from our spot on the beach, as she sailed away without us. :)

Any idea how far a taxi ride from the docks to that area?

I don't know, Sail, but it's not far. We would drive into Bridgetown for dinner and it didn't take more than 10 ... 15 minutes at the outside.

I just happened across this picture which is taken very near Paradise Beach and you can see where the port is (look at the little thingies that stick up beyond the end of the beach. So you see it is no distance. In fact I even see a ship there! Freshwater Bay, Barbados

This looks like a very nice beach and it's right near there. It's public: Barbados beaches - Batts Rock

I went the cheap way, the 0.75 bus ride. It was long about 50 min. It was nice.

Unless you plan to have lunch at the Hotel you can't go in that way.

The bus can stop at the round-about just a bit further down the road. Then you can walk over some large rocks to get to the beach.

First off, Sam Lord's went bankrupt last winter and is closed and the property is really in disrepair. Don't know if you can even get to the beach, so I'd give up on that.

The Crane is quite far from the cruise ships -- a good 45 - 55 min. drive. The setting is picturesque. We usually stop there and have lunch on the balcony overlooking the gorgeous beach.

This year we went to the entrance to the left of the crane & walked down to the beach, but you have to cross lots of rocks to get onto the beach and as the other poster said, the stairs are not too great either.

They used to charge admission (redeemable at the restaurant) but the last two years we were there they did not do that any longer. I think if you ate at the restaurant, you could go down the beach from the restaurant for awhile then leave.

Lois

We're going to try getting to Crane if the weather is good. Mr barbadoes says it's the best beach Barbadoes has , good food too ! Lots of people who were refered to the Crane , wrote back and were delighted. We are there 01/23/05 , going to try an adventure and get there by taxi !!

Charlie, yes it is a fabulous beach. But just remember it's on the Atlantic side so more apt to be rough. Personally I love rough water, but not everyone does. And if you just want a leisurely swim, then best to head for the Western side of the island.

Have fun, enjoy, and give Barbados a kiss from me! I love that island.

Thank you, W770----

We have spent quite alot of time on the pretty Bermuda beaches. I think we'll wait until we arrive at Barbados, see what the weather is and decide what we feel like....last minute. We may be full of energy and eager to go find a nice place to spend the day. Or, we may be perfectly content to just walk around by the dock shops, the market area and go back aboard. Isn't it great to know we don't have to do a darn thing if we feel lazy??!!

As a fanatical Bermuda visitor (I think I've been there 10 times), I agree that it is a special island with very special beaches. So you can't compare anymore than you can compare the beaches of Bora Bora to those of Bermuda (sorry, Bora Bora wins;) ). But there are some lovely beaches on Barbados and one of the reasons I love the island. Actually I love that you can enjoy both the rough, ragged coast on the East coast and the quiet, tranquil, beaches on the West coast.Something for everyone ... what could be better than that:) ?

We liked the rough surf beaches of Aruba - they were completely deserted - having grown up in So. Cal, a few waves never bother me. ;)

Last time we were in Barbados, we took a cab (about 15-20 minutes) to a lovely beach (recommended by the driver), I think it was Paradise, but I will have to check with DH - the swimming was wonderful and the kids thought they were in heaven! There was a really nice outside bar/cafe, loungers, changing areas and showers. We paid $5 each for the beach access and loungers. Our cab driver even came back for us - it was a super day!

Archived