What Makes The Ocean View Room Great?

ufmurphys

We are boarding the Carnival Destiny tommorow and I was curious about our Ocean View Room. We are on the Rivera Deck (1st) mid-ship. (http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=DE&icid=CC_Carnival%20Destiny_187 Room 1177) This will be our first Carnival cruise so I was wondering what amenities there would be. Such as, is there alot of closet space, is the bathroom small, etc. :D Also, what would really help if you could go to this link:http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_destiny/default.aspx?shipCode=DE Click on, Virtual tours, then ocean view state room. Will my room be similar to this?

Thanks!

On Destiny/Triumph/Conquest/Splendor class ships the ocean view cabins on Riviera and Main deck (with a very few exception) are larger than the standard inside cabins. The ocean views have a sitting area with a sofa that the inside cabins lack. The storage space is the same in Inside, ocean View and Balcony cabins; three large storage units. The bathrooms in these three types of cabins are also essentially the same, small but very efficient in design.You need to book a suite to have more storage space and a larger bathroom, including a spa tub.

Your stateroom should be pretty darn close to that. For the most part, standard inside, OV, and balcony staterooms have all been pretty similar from the Tropicale forward (once Carnival perfected the cookie-cutter cruise ship design). The bath in your stateroom will be about the size of the tub/toilet area of a typical hotel bath (you know, the kind where the mirror/sink is in the main part of the room, and the tub/toilet is in a seperate room). IIRC, the bathrooms on the Fantasy-class ships had larger showers then the Spirit-class ships, but not sure about the Destiny.....would guess that it is similar to the Fantasy class ships.

one benefit of the oceanview staterooms, is that on destiny and subsequent classes (conquest, splendor, dream) the OV rooms are 220 sq ft, compared to 185 sq ft interior rooms, and balcony rooms, which are 185 sq ft room + 35 sq ft balcony = 220 sq ft total. so the room itself, is actually larger than even balcony rooms.

and OV rooms have a window, of course, as compared to interiors... also, OV rooms have a couch, which isn't common with interiors.

there is TONS of closet space - 3 large closets, which line the hallway from where the door to the deck hall / bathroom is. plenty of storage in the desk area too - i think maybe 3-4 drawers (don't remember for sure), as well as the safe / shelf on the other side. the bathroom's kinda small-ish, but the showers on destiny are larger than some subsequent ships. it's definitely workable.

your room should be PRETTY MUCH like that, with some minor differences. first, the room shown in the virtual tour is 1) a connecting OV stateroom - so if yours isn't connecting, you won't have the door at the foot of the bed / end of the desk. 2) has an upper berth that can drop down from the ceiling - you can see that above the couch in this room.

i'll also say, they feel a lot bigger than they look in that virtual tour :D finally, some of the colors and finishes will be a little different, but largely the same.

have fun!

You didn't say how many were in your room....But I have done this same room type, on Riviera deck, with 3 women (with LOTS of stuff) and we were fine. With 3, the sofa becomes a bed. I loved the room and Riviera deck. Easy on and off on port days, people higher up will be waiting on elevators forever, you can just hop up one flight of stairs. Your room will be very similar to the one pictured....but linens have been updated, mine looked just like the oceanview it shows when you just click staterooms on that page, instead of virtual tours. The great thing about OV rooms on Conquest class ships is the window of course, and they are slightly larger than insides on those ships. You have a good room....Location is good to avoid motion sickness. Don't worry...you will have a ball!:D

The biggest advantage of an ocean view room for me is that my wife will not travel in an inside cabin. She had a bad experience with one on an old ship ages ago.

Doc:D

On our first cruise we booked the Riviera deck because it was cheaper, and we didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyway. We loved it, and have stayed on Riviera on every cruise since. It's not only about saving money but also for convenience and because you won't feel the motion of the ship nearly as much. I love Riviera deck, and midship oceanview is best of all! :cool:

We are boarding the Carnival Destiny tommorow and I was curious about our Ocean View Room. We are on the Rivera Deck (1st) mid-ship. (http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=DE&icid=CC_Carnival%20Destiny_187 Room 1177) This will be our first Carnival cruise so I was wondering what amenities there would be. Such as, is there alot of closet space, is the bathroom small, etc. :D Also, what would really help if you could go to this link:http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_destiny/default.aspx?shipCode=DE Click on, Virtual tours, then ocean view state room. Will my room be similar to this?

Thanks!

Here's what makes an OV so great...it has a window!!! You can look and catch the sunrise and sunset, you can watch the ship sail into and out of port, check the weather or just watch the ocean all from your room. Most of these cabins, once you get above an side have basically the same amoun tof room, closet space and bathrooms. Only the suites and a couple of balcony cabins have more amenities.

For us location and the window makes an OV a great room. I personally wouldn't want a room without a window. I like to look out as soon as I get up in the morning and see the ocean or a new port.

We prefer high decks because we take the stairs instead of the elevators. Empress deck, mid ship is convienent for us so that is what we try to get.

It will vary depending on what you personally like. Loved the larger showers on Fantasy they are pretty roomy, but still a little small for 2 :D

Whats great about an ocean view is that you may sight dolphins or catch a lightening storm over the ocean. This is what I missed most about not having a window (besides not having the faintest idea what time it was when waking up). My brother dragged us into his room to see the dolphins, which we missed, but we did catch the back of a couple of whales, cool!

Archived