HAL Ringtones - RevNeal?

LordSpain

Thanks for the help on where to find the halringtone. I downloaded it to iTunes then attempted to place it as an "alert" to any new email. I gave up after about an hour....my computer-nerd son accomplished it in about 45 seconds. Now I receive a pleasant memory everytime I get new email.

Being HAL-obsessed, I can see that I'm going to have to call in my computer guru at $95 an hour to set this up on my email program and cell phone!

I have converted the announcement chimes to an iPhone ringtone. You can download it by following this URL:

http://www.maceys.net/files/halringtone.m4r

When my wife calls, that is what I hear. I almost automatically add.."This is your captain speaking..." which is probably appropriate.

Enjoy,

lynn

Hi- It's now in my itunes in the ringtone section now what? I imagine I plug the phone into my computer and then what? Thanks

Hi- It's now in my itunes in the ringtone section now what? I imagine I plug the phone into my computer and then what? Thanks

You are past the hard part. :-) Go to the ringtone page (looks like you have been there) and make sure that the box to the left of "halringtone" is checked. This indicates that it is to be transferred to the phone when you sync.

Connect the iPhone to your computer and sync. This will copy the ringtone to the phone.

Now, on the phone you can have it as your default ringtone or assign it to specific people. To assign it to a person, bring up the Contacts app (you can also get there via the Phone app and select "Contacts" from the bottom menu). Select the person that you want to change the ringtone for and display their info. Below the phone numbers an entry for ringtone. Select it. On the next screen will be a menu box labeled "Custom". The halringtone should be there. Select it and check mark will appear. You're done. It will also play the tune to confirm.

If you want it as your default ring, open the Settings app and select Sounds. The default ringtone was marimba when you got your phone and may still be. Same selection process as before.

If the halringtone doesn't appear in the custom box then you need to go back and review the steps in your sync process.

lynn

I don't have an iphone, but I did get it to work. Here's how:

I emailed the file as an attachment to my cell phone's email address. When I got the message, I saved the music file to "my stuff">>audio. Then I saved it as my ringtone. It's not very loud even after adjusting the volume.

You are past the hard part. :-) Go to the ringtone page (looks like you have been there) and make sure that the box to the left of "halringtone" is checked. This indicates that it is to be transferred to the phone when you sync.

Connect the iPhone to your computer and sync. This will copy the ringtone to the phone.

Now, on the phone you can have it as your default ringtone or assign it to specific people. To assign it to a person, bring up the Contacts app (you can also get there via the Phone app and select "Contacts" from the bottom menu). Select the person that you want to change the ringtone for and display their info. Below the phone numbers an entry for ringtone. Select it. On the next screen will be a menu box labeled "Custom". The halringtone should be there. Select it and check mark will appear. You're done. It will also play the tune to confirm.

If you want it as your default ring, open the Settings app and select Sounds. The default ringtone was marimba when you got your phone and may still be. Same selection process as before.

If the halringtone doesn't appear in the custom box then you need to go back and review the steps in your sync process.

lynn

I thank you for your help,but so far I've only accomplished to sync the iphone lose 500 songs and still have no HAL ringtone. The box was checked and all the songs and I'm assuming the ringtone have been syncd. I now have all my songs back. When I go to sounds I don't see any "Custom" option I just have the menu of marimba,old phone etc.

I only want to have the HAL ringtone as the default ringer,I'm sure it's easy but I can't figure it out? Skipping contacts etc. How do I just get it to default again? Thanks

I'm about to put this iphone on a golf tee in a minute

caddyshack.jpg

I thank you for your help,but so far I've only accomplished to sync the iphone lose 500 songs and still have no HAL ringtone. The box was checked and all the songs and I'm assuming the ringtone have been syncd. I now have all my songs back. When I go to sounds I don't see any "Custom" option I just have the menu of marimba,old phone etc.

I only want to have the HAL ringtone as the default ringer,I'm sure it's easy but I can't figure it out? Skipping contacts etc. How do I just get it to default again? Thanks

I'm about to put this iphone on a golf tee in a minute

Love the picture.

There is a lot of flexibility in iTunes that controls what all gets sync'd. With your iPhone docked (or just connected via the USB cable) it shows up on the left bar. Click on it and iTunes will display a tabbed display of everything that you want to know about your device. Setting various options here will make it unlikely that you will have to reload your music library unless you set out to do so. Over on the rigntones tab there is a selection box to sync ringtones and a list of ringtones below that. You will need to check the box to sync the ringtones and then check the box in front of the halringtone.

You probably have already been to the music tab and adjusted what you are syncing there. If not, please do so.

Once you have the ringtone over on the iPhone, the Custom ringtone menu list will appear above Standard one.

I am sorry that you are having this much trouble. Not suggesting that it is a good idea but Apple released iTunes 9.0 and iPhone OS 3.1 yesterday...

lynn

Love the picture.

There is a lot of flexibility in iTunes that controls what all gets sync'd. With your iPhone docked (or just connected via the USB cable) it shows up on the left bar. Click on it and iTunes will display a tabbed display of everything that you want to know about your device. Setting various options here will make it unlikely that you will have to reload your music library unless you set out to do so. Over on the rigntones tab there is a selection box to sync ringtones and a list of ringtones below that. You will need to check the box to sync the ringtones and then check the box in front of the halringtone.

You probably have already been to the music tab and adjusted what you are syncing there. If not, please do so.

Once you have the ringtone over on the iPhone, the Custom ringtone menu list will appear above Standard one.

I am sorry that you are having this much trouble. Not suggesting that it is a good idea but Apple released iTunes 9.0 and iPhone OS 3.1 yesterday...

lynn

Hi Lynn- I click the box to sync the ringtone and first it states backing up iphone then it syncs contacts then bookmark,then mail,then during mail it claims there's a problem and shuts down. I still get no custom sound above the ones that come with the phone.

Thanks for hanging with me. I give up for the evening I'm too tired and frustrated. Tomorrow is another day. Thanks for everything

Jay

Jay, again, sorry that you are having trouble. For tomorrow I would suggest that you turn off the sync of all of the other types and just sync the ringtones and see if that gets you to where you want to be. I don't have any suggestions on what to do with a sync of mail failing.

Contact me here tomorrow if you still are having trouble. No promises on a solution but, I do IT/Support for a living and can at least point in the right direction.

lynn

Jay, again, sorry that you are having trouble. For tomorrow I would suggest that you turn off the sync of all of the other types and just sync the ringtones and see if that gets you to where you want to be. I don't have any suggestions on what to do with a sync of mail failing.

Contact me here tomorrow if you still are having trouble. No promises on a solution but, I do IT/Support for a living and can at least point in the right direction.

lynn

Have a pleasant evening

Jay

Archived