Capilano Suspension Bridge ??

We are looking forward to our upcoming visit to the Capilano Susp. Bridge.

My parents were thinking of coming but they don't like heights. Is it worth the admission to go if you aren't doing the bridge or treetops adventure? I don't want to see them waste their money but would love for them to come if there is something for them to see.

Thank you.

We are looking forward to our upcoming visit to the Capilano Susp. Bridge.

My parents were thinking of coming but they don't like heights. Is it worth the admission to go if you aren't doing the bridge or treetops adventure? I don't want to see them waste their money but would love for them to come if there is something for them to see.

The bridge is the main attraction. Are they OK with a cable car, in which case, Grouse Mountain might be a better bet. If you're looking for canyon, without being attached to bridge, Lynn Canyon (and its suspension bridge) is also nice, but has the advantage of being free, but a tiny bit more off the beaten track.

The main attraction is the bridge and tree tops walk. I have hung around on the entrance side once and there is not a lot to do...but their is the gifts shop...totem pole carving...First Nation's dances and performance art...so if you time it right for these events it wouldn't be a waste of money.

The gropuse Mountain sky ride to the top of the mountain is NOT a good idea for people who have a height problem! The gondolas are a couple of hundred feet in the air suspended from on overhead cable!!!

As I recall the Lynn Canyon Park is much the same as Capilano except it is free. All the hiking trails etc are on the other side of the bridge.

Hope you have a great time.

I am very inclined to agree with TCF it is a suspension bridge, it does sway and if you have an issue with heights it is not the place for your folks. The Skyride while really quite wonderful could be troublesome as well, however they can sit with there backs to the window and views so they wouldn't have to look out or down then there are lots of activiities once up there plus great views on a clear day.

Two ideas just came to mind that might work for you.

Close to the Capilano Bridge are two other 'attractions" that might be of interest to them.

First, the Salmon Hatchery which is just down the road from the Capilano Bridge. It was built to maintain the salmon run for the Capilano River when they built the dam further up the river and blocked the salmon run! It is a nice park setting with an interesting display of salmon husbandry....life cycle....and an explanation of how the hatchery works.

The second idea is the dam that caused the hatchery! Clevland Dam...just up the road from the Capilano Bridge. It is a nice park to stroll through....some terrific photo ops of the water cascading down the dam face...also of the gorge below the dam. They could also stroll across the dam without even seeing the height of the dam and it is a roadway wide.

In both cases they would not be far from you....visiting one or the other....meeting up with you afterwards....and transportation to and from would be easy logistics.

All of these activities will become impossibly miserable on a rainy day so keep that in mind.

Just a thought.

Two ideas just came to mind that might work for you.

Close to the Capilano Bridge are two other 'attractions" that might be of interest to them.

First, the Salmon Hatchery which is just down the road from the Capilano Bridge. It was built to maintain the salmon run for the Capilano River when they built the dam further up the river and blocked the salmon run! It is a nice park setting with an interesting display of salmon husbandry....life cycle....and an explanation of how the hatchery works.

The second idea is the dam that caused the hatchery! Clevland Dam...just up the road from the Capilano Bridge. It is a nice park to stroll through....some terrific photo ops of the water cascading down the dam face...also of the gorge below the dam. They could also stroll across the dam without even seeing the height of the dam and it is a roadway wide.

In both cases they would not be far from you....visiting one or the other....meeting up with you afterwards....and transportation to and from would be easy logistics.

All of these activities will become impossibly miserable on a rainy day so keep that in mind.

Just a thought.

Thank you so much for providing some other options for my parents. I'm going to run it by them and see what they think. I think they may like going to the dam.

Thanks again!

Archived