Hubbard Glacier

Kschn3671

What is the best way to see the Hubbard Glacier on an Alaskian cruise?

Our cruise has the scheduled time between 2-6 pm. Does going out on deck tend to be crowded as everybody does this as soon as we arrive to the Glacier? I would love to hear people's experiences.

I believe the Naturalist on board (Hopefully Brent Nixon since we will be on the Infinity) talk about the Glacier.

If we go to our stateroom and view from our Balcony would we still be able to hear Brent Nixon commentary? Do they carry this commentary on the tv in the stateroom? If so, then I guess we would have to prompt the door open to hear the tv while we are out on the balcony.

Unless you have an Aft balcony cabin, anywhere outside is good. You'll get a full sense of how large the glacier is, and hopefully hear the some calving (large pieces of the glacier fall into the sea). It an incredible experience.

you will have time to see it from your balcony and up on deck. deck 11 above the pool has lots of viewing space and you could carefully run from one side of the ship to the other to get better views. you can continue to stay up there as you sail away and watch the glacier disapppear. waiters are selling celebrity thermal mugs with hot chocolate or other hot drinks for $9.95. bundle up, it gets cold and rainy.

Well, on the day we did Hubbard, we went up top and grabbed a few lounge chairs because we knew we didn't want to stand for four hours. It was easy to do. Everyone was doing it. People were smiling and friendly and excited and it wasn't too crowded, just crowded. After a while, we all deserted our chairs to run back and forth from side to side with our cameras. It was too pretty to just sit. We had a gorgeous sunny day with a short spate of pea soup fog when the world disappeared ... and then reappeared. The hot chocolate was free ... only if you wanted the Bailey's et al in it did it cost anything.

Don't worry about a thing. It will be splendid, more than likely. It is certainly worth going up top to see the long journey in until you get to Hubbard. If it gets tiring, you can always retreat ... but I think you will probably love watching it all from up top. It can be cold. You are sideling up to a very large ice cube ... but just dress for it.

Enjoy this day. It is awesome.

fern

Unless you have an Aft balcony cabin, anywhere outside is good. You'll get a full sense of how large the glacier is, and hopefully hear the some calving (large pieces of the glacier fall into the sea). It an incredible experience.

I don't understand the aft balcony comment. Is an aft balcony good or not for the glacier viewing? We are booked in a corner aft room and I am wondering.

I don't understand the aft balcony comment. Is an aft balcony good or not for the glacier viewing? We are booked in a corner aft room and I am wondering.

The aft balcony is fine. The ship rotates slowly a couple of times and all balconies get a great view. We were in an aft next to some friends in 2004 and had a great Glacier Day party and had a great view. (The view you miss coming in is returned to you as you sail out).

large.jpg

More photos of the 2004 trip here:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska3004

2006 too:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006

Have a great trip!

Dave

The aft balcony is fine. The ship rotates slowly a couple of times and all balconies get a great view. We were in an aft next to some friends in 2004 and had a great Glacier Day party and had a great view. (The view you miss coming in is returned to you as you sail out).

large.jpg

Have a great trip!

Dave

That's an awesome photo! Thanks for including it in the post.

We stayed on the aft the whole time because my DH is in a wheelchair and we thought it would be too "crazy" up top. We definitely got an amazing, awesome view of the glacier at the end. But I imagine we would have been better off going up for part of the sailing, and then go in for the end.

Still, I don't think I will ever forget the view when the glacier filled our sight lines when the ship was turned.

If you are in a corner aft balcony (FV?), you will have the best of both worlds, as you will be able to see the front and the back.

Do go up top for awhile and experience the approach to this massive ice wall. We did about half and half, up top and in our cabin. It is a little crowded, but people are excited so it's great atmosphere. On our day at Hubbard there were kids in the hot tubs with the glacier in the background:) The hot chocolate is lovely and sure warms you up! Do watch for the tender going out to take photos of the ship- they are available later in the photo gallery, gives a great idea of relative size.

Have fun and enjoy Hubbard-we did!

S0 do you mean the Aft Balcony Cabin is a good place to view? That's what we have..

S0 do you mean the Aft Balcony Cabin is a good place to view? That's what we have..

No, the aft balcony is about the worst place to view for most of the afternoon, because the ship is going toward the glacier for a couple hours, so as it's getting closer, the front and side balconies can see it well, but all you see from the aft is the icebergs and moraines on the side - interesting, but not as exciting as the glacier. Also, if Brent Nixon spots wildlife, you won't be able to see it (although we did see a seal or two that people in the front missed).

At the end, when they get in close, the captain turns the ship around, and the aft has spectacular views. And of course, you get the whole drive in reverse as the ship is leaving. But by then, the excitement is past, there is no more commentary, and it's Happy Hour.

We watched the whole thing from our aft balcony, and in retrospect, ti would be better to go up top for part of the drive in, and then settle in for the spectacular turn and close-up views at the end.

Do you mean a STERN balcony cabin? As in one that is on the absolute BACK of the ship? I ask because "aft balcony cabin" is any cabin with a balcony which is in the aft portion of the ship. It doesn't necessarily mean one that faces the wake of the ship! This terminology is frequently mixed up on the boards and I think it causes confusion. At least in me, but maybe I'm just challenged when it comes to this? "Aft" is anything in the back 3rd portion of the ship. Forward is the front 3rd, and "midships" is what's inbetween. A cabin facing FRONT - that is, the direction the ship is sailing, and not facing out the side of the ship, is facing the bow, and a cabin facing the wake of the ship is stern-facing. I will be in cabin 8148 for my Infinity sailing, which is a starboard facing cabin, deck 8, AFT. See what I mean? So I will actually have an "aft balcony". But it's not what I think you are all discussing, which is as I said, a stern-facing balcony (or corner).

Moriah

would be better to go up top for part of the drive in, and then settle in for the spectacular turn and close-up views at the end.

We are invited to a party on Hubbard day in one of the corner stern-facing penthouse suites at 3:30 PM. Do you remember about what time the ship turns around? Will we feel we're missing the best views if we go to the party that early? That suite does have a corner wrap around balcony, but still.. even though I've been to Hubbard several times I just can't wait to see it again! By the way thank you so much for your review thread and all your useful comments on this one.

Moriah

They opened the heliport on Deck 5 forward on Hubbard Glacier day when we went in May. It was AWESOME. Not overly crowded (not sure many knew it was open) and the excitement of the crowd was fantastic. The only problem is we couldnt hear Brent Nixon's commentary but the location and view were our compromise to that.

They opened the heliport on Deck 5 forward on Hubbard Glacier day when we went in May. It was AWESOME. Not overly crowded (not sure many knew it was open) and the excitement of the crowd was fantastic. The only problem is we couldnt hear Brent Nixon's commentary but the location and view were our compromise to that.

That sounds really neat. Is there any particular way to get there, or do we just go onto Deck 5 and head forward?

Unlike most cruise destnations, Alaska isn't just something to see, it is something to experience. That can best be done from on top. The sights, the sounds, the smell of clean air all contribute to the exhilaration of this most spectacular experience.

Bring binoculars. Get on deck.Do it early. Move around. There are speakers over which you can hear the naturalist (Brent is the best there is-make sure you ask him ahead of time to check to see if the outdoor speakers are turned on). Be vigilant for calving (Brent will alert you a lot of the time).

And, just a note for all those cruising to Alaska-the ocean cafe or equivalent is not your personal oceanview cabin. Eat and move on so others can find a place to sit and eat. End of rant.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

It's perfect. The ship will rotate completely, and this gives everyone a great view. Stay on your Aft balcony, and enjoy!!

We are invited to a party on Hubbard day in one of the corner stern-facing penthouse suites at 3:30 PM. Do you remember about what time the ship turns around? Will we feel we're missing the best views if we go to the party that early? That suite does have a corner wrap around balcony, but still.. even though I've been to Hubbard several times I just can't wait to see it again! By the way thank you so much for your review thread and all your useful comments on this one.

Moriah

My Mom was in the Sky Suite next to the Penthouse you describe. The Penthouse balcony does wrap, so you would be able to see the Hubbard coming, during the turn, and going. That would seem to make it a great spot for a Hubbard-viewing party!

Archived