I should not have chosen Open Seating

cocos

But I am sincerely curious, as to what people (with fixed dining) do when they find themselves stuck at a table with people they don't click with, especially on a long cruise like the one we just finished (10 nights). While I generally enjoy most people, there are some people (whether they be chronic complainers, the type who monopolizes the conversation, the non-stop bragger or maybe they don't speak more than broken English so the conversation is very strained, etc) with whom if I was forced to eat with them for 10 nights it would absolutely ruin my cruise.

So, what do you do? Ask to change tables?

We were on a cruise (15 days) through the canal and down to Chile several years ago and had a very compatible window table for six. :) HOWEVER; We met two ladies who were at a table with the main lecturer, a retired professor from somewhere. His 1st lecture, which I attended, was held in the main showroom and attracted many people. When I woke up (two degrees, can't remember EVER sleeping through a lecture before), I listened for a few minutes and left for the pool deck and fresh air! :( He talked ALL the time and the ladies did not know you could ask to change tables. :eek:

Cruise Critic is great... You won't get stuck like that! :D

ps: The 3rd day, they moved his lecture to a small room.

I'm happy that you enjoy open but I don't know why you feel compelled to question us that do enjoy the traditional. I have to laugh at your suggestion that 10 days is a long cruise. That would be a short one for me:).

I'm sorry that you thought I was questioning your right to enjoy traditional - honestly, I'm thrilled that everyone gets the option to dine in the manner they choose. That was not my intent, at all. I was merely curious and trying to gather information for future cruises about how people deal with a situation where they aren't happy with the table they were assigned to - I didn't realize that changing tables was an option given that so many people report they were wait listed or couldn't get a fixed dining time at all. I'm guessing that the fact that switching tables is an option means that not all available seats are assigned prior to the cruise (even though the cruise line says there are no fixed times available).

No tantrums or twisted knickers from me -- my PCC knows now that if we can't get "fixed" dining, we'll take a different cruise. No tantrums, just a fact. We find that it adds to our enjoyment of our cruise.

For us, we found open to be somewhat like "speed dating". "Hi, where you from, have you cruised on HAL before, have you been to Alaska before?" Rinse, and repeat. Night after night. In our experience the service in open was not as good as in fixed. On the last night we did open dining, we did meet a congenial, diverse group of people. All 8 of us agreed that had we met sooner in the cruise, we'd have become a regular table. As it was, none of the 8 of us really cared for the "open" dining.

When I returned home, I described "open dining" to my DH as being similar to eating breakfast and/or lunch in the dining room. He doesn't want to try "open", based on that comparison. And we are fairly certain we will not cruise NCL, based on our preferred dining style.

I'm glad you like "open" -- you are certainly entitled to your opinion and preference. As am I, and my preference is "fixed".

Why all the quotes around the word open? :rolleyes:

Why not ask why all the quotes around the word open AND the word fixed? :rolleyes:

Because open was used a lot more than fixed... :D But why the quotes anyway? Bot are perfectly legitimate and accepted words to describe the concepts.

Can you request a table for 2 in open seating and is there a good chance you'll get it. We have always done traditional dining and have always enjoyed it, but on our last cruise making it to dinner at a set hour with a port intensive itinerary was difficult. So this cruise we chose open seating but do prefer to just eat together, we find it nice to be able to have a conversation with just the 2 of us, we don't get to at home much. :D So is a table for 2 possible? We don't even mind waiting a bit for one. Thanks in advance. :)

Can you request a table for 2 in open seating and is there a good chance you'll get it.
Do you mean walk-in, non-reserved? I don't know if this varies by ship, but on the Noordam last Dec we could get immediate walk-in seating at a 2-top before 6:30. Later than that I would expect that you would have to wait for some of the earliest 2s to finish eating, around 7:00 to 7:30.

Do you mean walk-in, non-reserved? I don't know if this varies by ship, but on the Noordam last Dec we could get immediate walk-in seating at a 2-top before 6:30. Later than that I would expect that you would have to wait for some of the earliest 2s to finish eating, around 7:00 to 7:30.

Thank you for the quick reply. :) Probably walk up mostly. Waiting a little while shouldn't be a problem, its nice to know you can get tables for 2. Again thanks for the quick reply.

Thank you for the quick reply. :) Probably walk up mostly. Waiting a little while shouldn't be a problem, its nice to know you can get tables for 2. Again thanks for the quick reply.
That 6:30 is an approximate time. Maybe some days the 2s were all taken earlier or later. There's about 12 2-tops on the lower level, but once we were taken up the stairs to a 2 on the railing. Also, some of the 2s downstairs are just inches away from a 4-top, because they've split a 6, and they're not really very private tables. :(

I'm thrilled that everyone gets the option to dine in the manner they choose.

Oh I really wish that was the case. Getting into traditional usually means booking more then a year in advance for some cruises. Even when I did that for my Nov.08 cruise and HAL confirmed it they screwed up my reservation and threw me into open. After I spent the better part of a day on the phone they did correct it. That along with many other things have left a bitter taste in my mouth with HAL. Price is king with me right now and HAL is offereing some good prices or I would be so gone to Princess. At least with Princess you don't have to book a year in advance to get traditional.

Oh I really wish that was the case. Getting into traditional usually means booking more then a year in advance for some cruises. Even when I did that for my Nov.08 cruise and HAL confirmed it they screwed up my reservation and threw me into open.
We've just been given confirmed Early Fixed at 6 months out ... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find us assigned to Open when we check in. If so, we'll just turn it into our own fixed by making reservations daily. :)

Although I have cruised HAL yet (planning in Dec) I have experienced two previous cruises with fixed dining and one on NCL with open. When I made the reservations for the HAL cruise we chose fixed. Everyone has their own preferences. I liked knowing when and where I would eat each night and having the same wait staff. I found on NCL that unless a reservation was made you had a long wait. As to not liking your table companions - after the first night you can always ask to be assigned another table or a table for two and at least on Disney, they did accomodate you.

We've just been given confirmed Early Fixed at 6 months out ... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find us assigned to Open when we check in. If so, we'll just turn it into our own fixed by making reservations daily. :)

If you do not get the dining style & time you want, go see the Maitre D' and make a request to be changed to what you want. They aren't always able to accommodate, but it is worth a try.

We requested fixed seating, but were given open seating.

Didn't think we'd like it, but it actually worked out quite well for us, and we were even able to get a table for 2 each night.:)

I'm thinking that a lot of folks that are sure they'd HATE open seating might actually like it if they gave it a try...:o

Go ahead and flame me; I'm used to it....:rolleyes:

Great attitude...

It is possible to make things work for yourself - and the staff are there to try and give you what they can...

Sometimes, I wonder if newbies must read some of the posts on here and think that the "open dining" - (lol - Boytjie,) is a curse and their cruise is going to be a nightmare if that is what they find on their booking...

It aint all that bad...

:D:D:D

I'm thinking that a lot of folks that are sure they'd HATE open seating might actually like it if they gave it a try...:o

Go ahead and flame me; I'm used to it....:rolleyes:

Good for you....

:D:D:D

Since I am generally travelling solo (my preference) it is a little different. I might look a little silly sitting at a table by myself but I'm sure I'd enjoy the company:D.

lorekauf: I talk so much and so fast that it's rare that anyone can "take the words out of my mouth," but you did it when you said ,"I've had more bad experiences with open at breakfast and lunch then I've had with traditional at dinner."

Now, I'm officially concerned about the Open Seating option we selected (Rydam, Alaska, July 24). :eek: Most people in my party are used to a fixed dining and hope to know the dinner's time. I don't like the idea of having new waiters each night. It sounds like the oposite to "good personal service". Also, my children were used in past cruises to know personally our waiters. :(

Is there something positive about Open Seating???

If you have a large party and want to be assured of all being seated at the same table each night, open seating might be more trouble than it's worth. You'll have to call in advance to make sure a large table is waiting for you, and you may lose some time flexibility if you want it (because all tables, from what I understand, have to be turned over twice in a night).

The big advantage with open seating dining is the chance to meet a lot of new people each night (you're with your family, so this is probably not important to you at all) and the added flexibility of dining at different times each night (maybe this too is not that important to you when balanced against the trouble you'll have to go through to get a table all together every night). So, maybe open seating dining may not be your first choice.

Only you can weigh the advantages and disadvantages and then decide what's best in your particular situation. I love open seating dining because I like the flexibility of eating when I am ready. But then, I travel solo and even if I am eating with someone else, it's no trouble to just go to the dining room when I am ready and sit wherever. But that's just my case. Your's could be entirely different.

I would suggest you talk to your TA and see what she advises. Hopefully, you'll still be able to get an open slot in fixed dining at this point in time if that is what you decide you truly want.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Since I am generally travelling solo (my preference) it is a little different. I might look a little silly sitting at a table by myself but I'm sure I'd enjoy the company:D.
You'd never be seated at a table by yourself unless you insisted upon it. And even then, I don't know if they would give you a two-top by yourself. Those two-tops are very, very much in demand and have to be reserved in advance.

When you show up in the dining room under open seating, you'll be directed to a large table with others already seated there, and given a menu. As soon as the table is filled, a waiter will come over and take everyone's orders. You'll always have a group of people to share the meal with, and as an added bonus for the single, you'll meet lots of new people instead of having to eat with the same people every night ... who you may or may not be compatible with. Under traditional dining, I've had some good tables, and then I've had some bad ones. I was seated at a "singles" table once which might sound good. However, those singles were all at a minimum in their 80s. They were also all suite passengers, one of whom practically lived on the ship. I had very, very little in common with any of them.

I've found that when traveling alone, open seating works out better. You get to meet lots of different people, and if you really hit it off with someone you can always ask them if they'd like to join you again the next night. You can agree on a time with them and then meet them at the entrance to the dining room, so that you can be assured of being seated together again. If, on the other hand, you draw a dud of a table one night, at least you know that you don't have to dine with those same people again.

I was very much opposed to open seating when HAL introduced it. But I had no choice but to try it because I cancelled and rebooked a reservation in order to take advantage of a $1,000 price drop in the cost of my cruise. When I did that, I lost my spot in traditional dining and knew that at that late date, I'd never get another. So, it was with some trepedition that I accepted the fact that any dinners I had in the main dining room were going to be in open seating. Surprisingly, I loved it and now want no parts of fixed seating.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You'd never be seated at a table by yourself unless you insisted upon it. And even then, I don't know if they would give you a two-top by yourself. Those two-tops are very, very much in demand and have to be reserved in advance.

When you show up in the dining room under open seating, you'll be directed to a large table with others already seated there, and given a menu. As soon as the table is filled, a waiter will come over and take everyone's orders. You'll always have a group of people to share the meal with, and as an added bonus for the single, you'll meet lots of new people instead of having to eat with the same people every night ... who you may or may not be compatible with. Under traditional dining, I've had some good tables, and then I've had some bad ones. I was seated at a "singles" table once which might sound good. However, those singles were all at a minimum in their 80s. They were also all suite passengers, one of whom practically lived on the ship. I had very, very little in common with any of them.

I've found that when traveling alone, open seating works out better. You get to meet lots of different people, and if you really hit it off with someone you can always ask them if they'd like to join you again the next night. You can agree on a time with them and then meet them at the entrance to the dining room, so that you can be assured of being seated together again. If, on the other hand, you draw a dud of a table one night, at least you know that you don't have to dine with those same people again.

I was very much opposed to open seating when HAL introduced it. But I had no choice but to try it because I cancelled and rebooked a reservation in order to take advantage of a $1,000 price drop in the cost of my cruise. When I did that, I lost my spot in traditional dining and knew that at that late date, I'd never get another. So, it was with some trepedition that I accepted the fact that any dinners I had in the main dining room were going to be in open seating. Surprisingly, I loved it and now want no parts of fixed seating.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes I know the process Rita......I know I wouldn't be sitting by myself. You have taken my post out of context. I was replying to a poster that said they would make their own traditional by making a reservation every night themselves. Kinda hard to do that by myself. This is what I was refering to not the fact that I thought I would be seated by myself.

I already get to meet lots of people in open seating at breakfast and lunch and most have them have not been people I would enjoy sitting with again. I don't enjoy gory pet operation stories etc. and I seem to hear a lot of that. Another thing I hear is how there is SO MUCH FOOD. Just order toast then. These people proceed to order everything on the menu ....hello....that is why there is so much food.

Glad you like open....but I wonder why people feel so compelled to talk people into that option when it's not something I want to explore.

"exactly", "point well taken". what are we talking about? "open" seating vs. non-"open" seating.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627832

non-open = fixed/traditional (assigned table with same servers and tablemates throughout cruise)

open = typical land-based restaurant procedures (reservations, wait in line for your turn, or take a beeper.. can be personalized by requesting a particular table or a serving team you particularly liked )

On HAL, these are usually on different levels of the dining room, but some open diners have reported (including me) being seated in fixed area when the table was available in fixed.

Much more detail is provided in sticky (link above)

Archived