Vision of the Sea or the Brillance

If the cruise is Vision Copenhagen/Venice. compared to Brilliance Barcelona.

You have to pick the Brilliance if it does Venice overnight and Dubrovnic all the ports on this cruise can be recommended and worth visiting. (except Liverno itself )

You wont have time to visit Venice on Vision unless your flight is very late or you stop overnight in a hotel. Nor is the ports visited that good.

IMHO Brilliance is far better, we have always been happy on this ship.

Have you thought of arranging your own air. Taxi Barcelona airport to ship about 30 euros.

Good point about not seeing Venice until we stay over. Even flying to Frankfurt can be expensive. The more I read and hear The Brillance sounds like a better trip. Ok so been to Rome twice. What would you suggest on the stop in Civitvecchia?

What makes the Brilllance your favorite class of ships? How do they differ from The Vision?

My favourite place on Brilliance was the outside eating area in the Windjammer. I don't believe any of the other classes have this. It's aft and it was always the first place we returned to for a nice cold lemonade after a long day ashore. We always ate breakfast and lunch there. We found it to be a quiet haven - it was hot in August when we sailed on her and many people preferred to stay inside in the air con but we loved it.

We were on both last year, Brilliance from Southhampton to Barcelona and Vision Mexican Riviera. BOS is a beautiful ship, and if I were just choosing for the ship I would choose Brilliance. The food on both is similar.

That being said, we cruise for itinerary, so I would make my call based on that. You sound like you want to spend at least another day in Venice, so I would check out the price and hassle of transferring to and from hotel to airport in Venice. That can really add to the price. The 2 half days in Venice would be perfect for us.

Another plus for us is the non-stop flight on Continental we can get out of Barcelona. You might want to do a fast check of the available flights and prices.

My favourite place on Brilliance was the outside eating area in the Windjammer. I don't believe any of the other classes have this. It's aft and it was always the first place we returned to for a nice cold lemonade after a long day ashore. We always ate breakfast and lunch there. We found it to be a quiet haven - it was hot in August when we sailed on her and many people preferred to stay inside in the air con but we loved it.
Actually the Vision class does have outdoor seating near Windjammer.

Good point about not seeing Venice until we stay over. Even flying to Frankfurt can be expensive. The more I read and hear The Brillance sounds like a better trip. Ok so been to Rome twice. What would you suggest on the stop in Civitvecchia?

This port is for Rome and the railway station is about a mile from the FREE shuttle bus drop off point. The port puts this bus on , the cruise bus drops you in town near a small bus station. Taxis are few and can be expensive.400 euro return Rome.

There is a local beach, through the port gates sea to your right,(same direction for station) which if you are lucky will have a market or exhibition going on. we usually chill in one of the outside cafes on the other side of the road.

Not much at the port apart from a very small museum church and shops.The staff on Brilliance are very helpful and will give you train times to Rome, other beaches and places of interest. A tourist info was set up by the gates as well when we were last there.

Like you we have done Rome so just chill at this port. enjoy the cruise.

Thankyou! I'm sailing on Vision next year and I was told that there wasn't! That's great news :)
Just to fully disclose, As I said above, I have cruised on Splendour which is a Vision class ship and it definitely has outside seating in the Windjammer area. I know that Vision class ships are more cousins than true sister ships, but the deck plan for Vision appears to have the outdoor areas as well.

I am looking at the med for September 2010. Even though the iteninaries are different. which ship do you prefer. I have not been on either one although we are platium members of RCCL. We generally sail on Celebrity.

Being that VOS is a 4 star ship and the Brillance a 5 star ship. What does that really mean with RCCL. Is the food and service the same? Is the 4 star rated because there aren't any alternative dining options. Of course the Brillance is a new ship.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked out the Sept 24, 2010 sailing of the Brilliance? It's a good one.

Have you checked out the Sept 24, 2010 sailing of the Brilliance? It's a good one.

That is a terrific trip. I have been to Santorini twice, both times rode the mule up. Did Athens, Ephesus last year.

Archived