Casual v casual elegant

chalfont15

I'm just packing for my forthcoming first ever cruise with Seabourn and am now rather confused having seen the assorted clothing on the Odyssey thread photos posted recently. Is this casual or elegant casual as some people look like they are still wearing sightseeing clothes whilst others have jackets- I had thought Seabourn was fairly smart in the evenings so should I be rethinking what I am taking? Also, why do some people seem to be wearing identity tags round their necks?

I'm just packing for my forthcoming first ever cruise with Seabourn and am now rather confused having seen the assorted clothing on the Odyssey thread photos posted recently. Is this casual or elegant casual as some people look like they are still wearing sightseeing clothes whilst others have jackets- I had thought Seabourn was fairly smart in the evenings so should I be rethinking what I am taking? Also, why do some people seem to be wearing identity tags round their necks?

So what cruise and ship are you on??

Host Dan

I wondered the same thing. If you saw the inagural Seabourn video with the first two guests to arrive for the maiden voyage, it looks like they were dressed as if they were just coming back from the mall.

I wondered the same thing. If you saw the inagural Seabourn video with the first two guests to arrive for the maiden voyage, it looks like they were dressed as if they were just coming back from the mall.

and just maybe they were coming from a very long flight? :rolleyes:

LOL ! :) So funny GrannyLor. I so wish you were on my sailing - your humor always keeps me smiling. IMHO - beyond the itinerary, the pampering and all that is SB's reputation for service, we chose Odyssey because we don't like to dress up - either elegant or casual so-called country club casual. We're on vacation - and like to let our guards down for a week and relax and just be us. Dress up dress down - its all subjective. We don't dress to fit in with others - we dress to please ourselves:p. Don't worry though, I promise so as not to offend the other passengers, I won't let DH wear his tattered favorite cut-off jeans and wife-beater mesh tank .:D

Leah, RN

I too am sure you saw members of the and TA's if they had ID cards around their necks. You do not have to wear identification around your neck. That is not how they learn your name. :D

You'll find that how people dress will vary by person and even by itinerary, length of cruise and time of the year. The recommended attire that Seabourn mentions is really a good starting point as you decide what to take with you.

Some will get a little more dressy than what is mentioned on say an elegant casual or casual evening and some will be dressed like that or slighly less dressy than that. For example, I tend to wear a sports jacket even on the casual nights (but many men do not and it certainly is not recommend or required) and likewise on many of the elegant casual nights I wore a tie but many men did not and it is not required/recommended. On a casual night I tend to wear dress pants but many just wear khakis. Many women bring nice skirts or pants and are able to change the look by bringing different tops.

We don't worry about what others will wear.

Enjoy your first cruise with Seabourn.

Keith

I figured you would chime in on this. Also, who in their right mind would arrive from a long flight on the same day the ship sailed?

I figured you would chime in on this. Also, who in their right mind would arrive from a long flight on the same day the ship sailed?

It happens all the time...

Host Dan

We have met quite a few folks who arrive the day of the sailing. We don't but quite a few do.

Keith

Mmm, interesting topic ... however on a maiden voyage and the high cost of fares invloved on this sailing, I do believe that anyone flying in from a long flight on saling day, would sure be taking a huge risk. I would assume Seabourn folk are smarter than that. But then again in this case, it was not that far to join the ship at the next port if need be - however one would have missed all the wonderful festivities.

I can see flying from say Atlanta to join a ship the same day in Miami, but not for Odyssey's maiden.

Cheers!

Mmm, interesting topic ... however on a maiden voyage and the high cost of fares invloved on this sailing, I do believe that anyone flying in from a long flight on saling day, would sure be taking a huge risk. I would assume Seabourn folk are smarter than that. But then again in this case, it was not that far to join the ship at the next port if need be - however one would have missed all the wonderful festivities.

I can see flying from say Atlanta to join a ship the same day in Miami, but not for Odyssey's maiden.

Cheers!

For us it is a no brainer fly in ahead of the sailing. Even if you are flying a few hundred miles. We have experience computer shutdowns in airports.

But, if you ask around you will find passengers flying in the day of emarkation. I have met some who fly from Los Angeles to London the day of embarkation and they almost have their head on the dinner plate at dinner.

Keith

Meanwhile, getting back to clothing, I think this says it best: 'Tasteful but not tacky.'

I have told this before. I took a northern Pride crossing and one woman brought one long, simple, red dress and wore it every night. She was celebrating a great diagnosis after treatment for cancer and figured "Bugger anyone who comments on my dress, I know what's important in life!"

To answer your questions about clothing, I have been on four Seabourn cruises. Everywhere I went, whether it was morning, noon or night, everyone was turned out very nicely. One of the things I like about Seabourn is the sense of style the other passengers seem to exhibit. I'm talking about the three small ships, now. Everyone seems to like looking their best. Oh, you can be casual, but I've never seen "sloppy".

I'm not sure what you are referring to, perhaps as others have said, it was the travel agent preview on the Odyssey? But don't worry, if you like your fellow passengers to dress for the occasion, I don't think you'll be disappointed on Seabourn.

Jane

The OP is probably looking at pictures of the travel agent preview "cruise" on Odyssey. If so, these aren't your typical passengers.

Now just where did the title "Travel Agent Preview Cruise" come from? The pre inaugral cruise had only a few TA's on board!! :confused:

Well I suppose there are a few people who have work or have other commitments who need to fly in the day of the cruise....however, we always arrive early...takes us two days to get anywhere...last time we arrived in the US about 10 days early....nice Amtrak trip across the country wearing trakky daks and ugg boots......might try Greyhound next time!! :rolleyes:

Of course if this video was from the Pre Inaugral and not the Maiden, I wonder just who those people were?? Do you realise that there were only 20 US TA's on board? Then there were a few European TA's....plus a few Press....the majority were Carnival and Seabourn brass!! Oh dear......loose lips sink ships!! :D:D:D

Of course if this video was from the Pre Inaugral and not the Maiden, I wonder just who those people were?? Do you realise that there were only 20 US TA's on board? Then there were a few European TA's....plus a few Press....the majority were Carnival and Seabourn brass!! Oh dear......loose lips sink ships!! :D:D:D

Well Granny, that 'splains it (chuckle). It's the 'C' word above.

Patricia.

Far too risky in my view. We were delayed 22 hours on a recent flight from Phoenix to London :eek:

Far better to get to the port in good time. Have a nice dinner, a good night's sleep and maybe a little shopping before embarking.

In my opinion of course :D

On the subject of clothes .... I like to dress down during the day and then dress up a bit in the evening. That works for me.

The ONLY time I fly in (or drive) the same day, is if the cruise is leaving out of Florida. I wouldn't even consider doing a European cruise without a day or 2 lead time.

Host Dan

Archived