Maybe a stupid question?

lsane2

This seems trivial, but you never know.:o We're leaving later this month for an Alaskan cruisetour and I was reading through the documents. They mention to make sure your name on the airline tickets, boarding pass for the ship and passport all match.

Okay, my passport has my middle name in it, but the airline tickets and cruise documents do not. That's the only difference.

Are they okay as is?:confused:

This seems trivial, but you never know.:o We're leaving later this month for an Alaskan cruisetour and I was reading through the documents. They mention to make sure your name on the airline tickets, boarding pass for the ship and passport all match.

Okay, my passport has my middle name in it, but the airline tickets and cruise documents do not. That's the only difference.

They're OK "as is." There is a new regulation that requires your air and cruise documents to match your passport exactly but it's uninforceable until airlines and cruiselines offer the means to include miiddle or even 3rd names in addition to first and last. In the future, try to get the airlines and cruise booking in the same name(s) as your passport.

Yes, not a problem..

it's a problem when say docs are in a nickname not your legal name

OR you just got married and some docs are in married name and some are in maiden name..

you get the idea

I've been reading these boards for MONTHS and never saw this question addressed. Now as soon as I post this thread, I see someone else has just asked this same thing a few hours ago!:p

Well, I think I'll keep everything as is after reading the replies to the other post.

My airline tickets have never had my middle name on them and never had any problems. I think my cruise documents did have my middle name on them however.
It doesn't matter what's happened before; there's a new TSA rule that requires them to be the same so in the future, it's a good idea to make sure they match.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/index.shtm

Top 5 Secure Flight Questions

Q. What is Secure Flight and what does it do?

A. Secure Flight is a behind the scenes program that streamlines the watch list matching process. It will improve the travel experience for all passengers, including those who have been misidentified in the past.

Q. Are all airlines participating in the Secure Flight program at this time?

A. No. Secure Flight will be phased-in and each airline will be incorporating the necessary changes into their systems over the coming months. Passengers shouldn't be concerned if particular airlines don't ask them to provide the additional information right away; it should not impact their travel. Each airline will request this information as their capability to capture it is integrated into their individual systems.

Q. If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. However, TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger's reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information.

Q. What if my name and I.D. do not exactly match when I arrive at security? Will I be turned away and unable to fly?

A. No. Secure Flight will not impact the process at the security checkpoint in any way. At the security checkpoint, TSA strives to ensure you are who you say you are. TSA performs travel document checking to see that you, your identification, and your boarding pass match and are valid. TSA performs this function because identity matters and it is critical to security to ensure that individuals with hostile intent do not board aircraft. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list. Secure Flight will not impact the security checkpoint experience. While Secure Flight and travel document checking are both critical security functions, they serve different purposes at different points in the security process.

Q. Does the name on all of my IDs have to match? What if my driver's license has only my middle initial, but my passport has my full name? Should I change my driver's license to match my passport?

A. Secure Flight does not require that the names on all of your IDs be identical. Passengers should provide their name as it appears on their government-issued ID they plan to use when traveling. This provides TSA the best information possible to use when performing watch list matching. This will result in a better process for travelers and greatly reduces the number of misidentifications. By adding date of birth and gender, the number of misidentifications is reduced further and can more readily identify passengers who do not pose a threat.

I've been reading these boards for MONTHS and never saw this question addressed. Now as soon as I post this thread, I see someone else has just asked this same thing a few hours ago!:p

Well, I think I'll keep everything as is after reading the replies to the other post.

We have never had a problem with our middle initial missing :)

You did nothing wrong posting your question :) You looked and didn't find your question so you did the right thing :)

Recheck your cruise personalizer online. I noticed with my latest bookings they now have a field for middle names to be able to match the passport. Make sure that matches with your passport and then reprint your boarding pass.

Maam,

No question is ever stupid..or it would not be asked..

A few changes have been made in recent times.

Yes names are important to match.

Government ID is one of these.

In a few States even cities in New Jersey here ..some City Democrat officials sold Names and Birth dates and it was proven done before. So , yes, all those people with Birthdates in that about decade plus are not allowed to use there Birth Certificates. Certificates of Birth are different as our current President has one of those.

Licensed Drivers now have to obtain ( for Payments ) a Certified Municipal Authorized by the State Certificate...

My FIL even was told by a Clerk at the Social Security Office in the Count Seat here that his Date of Birth was NOT Correct.. *YIKES* and he was collecting Social Security Checks for over two and one half decades... as his drivers license, US Passports, Bank Accounts, US Patent Oiffice Fillings and US Patents...etc all had his DOB which was NOT the one the Clerk in the SS office told him was his NEW DOB!

So he celebrates Two DOB's now because of the SS Clerk.. :eek:

( Does that make him twice as old then ? )

Oh his name did stay the same... :cool:

Archived