POA review 6/20

can

Forgot to mention this:

We rented our gear for the week from Snorkel Bobs in Honolulu. We returned it to a Snorkel Bobs in Kauai. (snorkelbob.com) I was able to call my optometrist and get my eye glasses prescription, then when I reserved my gear I gave them my Rx. I could actually see using my swim mask. I am blind as a bat and if I couldn't have done something like this I never could have snorkeled. The kids liked the equipment, too. They used it in the ship pool. We carried it with us on our travels. We had stopped to swim more than once.

I love this idea--do you remember how much it cost pp?

I agree that the port authority people in Kauai were extremely rude. We tried to pick up my Father in law after we got the rental car and instead of letting us pull up to where he was, they made us park and him walk. There was really no need for this as there was no one else there, all the excursions and such had already left. The woman's comment was "next time you should get a wheelchair" . My FIL can walk, just not far, and I really did not think that was an appropriate thing for her to say, it was really none of her business! They also required anyone coming in the gated area, including rental car vans and shore excursion participants to show their ID and ship id. This was not to get on the ship (where you had to show it again), but just to get in the gate on the bus. They boarded every bus or van and checked every ID. A bit of overkill, I think.

Also, DON'T use Thrifty in Kauai!! It took us an hour and a half to get the car in the morning and then it overheated when we were at Waimea Canyon because it had no coolant in it. It took them 2 1/2 hours to get another car to us. 4 hours of our day on Kauai wasted because of Thrifty! They also totally ignored anyone in the Blue Chip line, and when we asked for help, of course, nothing had been prepared ahead of time like it should have been.

What a bummer - they made me get off the ship!

Thanks to CC'ers we had a nice last day. Our flight wasn't until 11 pm. What to do? Some in our group booked an excurision. YUK, no more travel, please. We booked a "day room" at the beautiful Hawaiin Hilton Village. It was $89.00 and we had it from 9am - 9pm. My eldest son stayed in the room most of the day (pooped!), my younger son swam in their pools. My SIL and BIL took a nap. What a perfect way to end our vacation. I had never heard of such a thing as a day room! It was perfect. (took taxi from ship to HHV and back, about $18 one way).

Chris~ when did you book the day room? when you checked in or out before the cruise? We're still a long way off before I have to book any hotel, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village is on my list to check out. Did they advertise it or did you have to ask?

We did a day room after our Disney cruise back in 2004, it was great. Some people were sitting at the gate for 6 hours! Not us!

Thanks for the great review, Can. I have a couple of questions.

Re the tender in Kona. Did you have to get tickets ahead of time to get on the early tenders? if so, where did you pick them up and when. If not, did you just line up and get on the tender?

Re the rental car in Maui. I've read that it takes about 15 minutes to get from the airport to the Ioa Needle Park and 45 to get to Lahaina. What I don't know is how long it takes to walk to the bridge inside the park where you see the needle.

Re Lahaina: Did you stop in town before you went north to snorkle? How was parking? How was traffic for turning left onto the beach from town?

Did you stop to "whale watch" at McGreggor's point between mile marker 7 & 8? Because of traffic direction, we're going to catch that on the way back to the ship (and not take the forbidden road!). Where did you eat lunch? You may have said and I apologize if you did and I can't remember.

My hubby and I are going on the NCL excursion on Kauai to go "mud-bugging" (it looks like alot of fun!). Anyone who has gone on this...do you wear a swimsuit under your clothes or is there a dressing area somewhere? Can you wear shorts and then put their long clothes on over the top of yours? For footwear, is it best to wear those swim-type shoes? Do you bring a change of clotes for the bus ride home? It sounds like it is a crazy mess so we want to be prepared!

Chris~ when did you book the day room? when you checked in or out before the cruise? We're still a long way off before I have to book any hotel, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village is on my list to check out. Did they advertise it or did you have to ask?

We did a day room after our Disney cruise back in 2004, it was great. Some people were sitting at the gate for 6 hours! Not us!

Jeany - we're going in a week and a half and we've got a day room at HHV booked for the last day. Just call them and ask for a day room - it's $89. We're looking forward to a relaxing day, real showers!!!, naps, change of clothes before a long flight, etc.

I know us, after a week of port intensive cruising, having a last day - with space (because there's 3 of us in a balcony cabin) - a real shower, will be the perfect finale for our time in Hawaii.

Jeany - we're going in a week and a half and we've got a day room at HHV booked for the last day. Just call them and ask for a day room - it's $89. We're looking forward to a relaxing day, real showers!!!, naps, change of clothes before a long flight, etc.

I know us, after a week of port intensive cruising, having a last day - with space (because there's 3 of us in a balcony cabin) - a real shower, will be the perfect finale for our time in Hawaii.

great! thanks so much for helping~ one more thing checked off on my list of things to find out/to do. I read on another (older) thread, someone had to pay $200 for a day room.. I was thinking "Huh? What? man, they got taken for a ride!"

• 1 month later...
My hubby and I are going on the NCL excursion on Kauai to go "mud-bugging" (it looks like alot of fun!). Anyone who has gone on this...do you wear a swimsuit under your clothes or is there a dressing area somewhere? Can you wear shorts and then put their long clothes on over the top of yours? For footwear, is it best to wear those swim-type shoes? Do you bring a change of clotes for the bus ride home? It sounds like it is a crazy mess so we want to be prepared!

Sorry for the slow answer!!! I haven't been back to CC, I think I am sad the cruise has come and gone....

Mud bug clothing: I wore a swimsuit under my clothes (for swimming in the waterfall). The clothes they loaned us were optional. You could wear their pants and tshirts or not. Some people wore them, some didn't. Some wore shorts, some wore pants. Pants might be nice because you might get a dirt clod hitting you in the leg. There are changing rooms and a showers for use after you are done. There are lockers that you put your stuff in while you are riding (no locks). The showers are in the open. Footwear would probably be water shoes, but probably doesn't matter.

Thanks for the great review, Can. I have a couple of questions.

Re the tender in Kona. Did you have to get tickets ahead of time to get on the early tenders? if so, where did you pick them up and when. If not, did you just line up and get on the tender?

Re the rental car in Maui. I've read that it takes about 15 minutes to get from the airport to the Ioa Needle Park and 45 to get to Lahaina. What I don't know is how long it takes to walk to the bridge inside the park where you see the needle.

Re Lahaina: Did you stop in town before you went north to snorkle? How was parking? How was traffic for turning left onto the beach from town?

Did you stop to "whale watch" at McGreggor's point between mile marker 7 & 8? Because of traffic direction, we're going to catch that on the way back to the ship (and not take the forbidden road!). Where did you eat lunch? You may have said and I apologize if you did and I can't remember.

1. Early tender: We showed up at the tender desk a little early, expecting a lot of people that wanted to get off early. We were the only ones there. You need to take your whole group to the tender desk, not just one. The daily flyer that they give you, gives you the info as to where the tender desk will be.

2. Ioa Needle - is inside a state park. They have a few exhibits that show early life on hawaii (hut, fire pit, etc) Not too time consuming. Once you park in the state park parking lot, the Ioa Needle is right there for viewing. We walked around a bit, but did not need to spend a lot of time there.

3. We did not stop in Lahaina (....Next time :))

4. Whale watching is more of a winter thing - the whales have migrated north for the summer.

5. Sorry - I can't remember where we ate our lunch nor where we snorkeled! It was north of Lahaina at a resort-y area. Remember, all beaches are public, so even if there is a resort you are allowed on the beach. Wish I could remember where we were, our lunch was fantastic. I remember it was on a golf course and the place was 1/2 gift shop 1/2 deli. We ate our delicious lunch out on the big porch. Ring any bells to anyone??

Day Room at HHV: Thanks to all the info here on CC, I called the HHV and asked for the day room. I did this before we left. Truthfully, I had never heard of such a thing as a day room. It was the PERFECT answer for us as our plane did not leave until 11:30pm. My one child swam, my other watched TV. The HHV is a beautiful resort.

I love this idea--do you remember how much it cost pp?

Snorkel Bob Rental: Truthfully, cannot remember how much per person....But their website will help you out. My hubby and I each had the prescription goggles so ours was more. We did not get the bottom of the line gear, but went one level up in quality. Go check out

snorkelbob.com

Also - there are different branches to Snorkel Bob's so we were able to pick up our gear on one island and drop if off on a different island. We picked up on Oahu and dropped off on Kauai. Friendly staff.

Hey Can. Thanks for your review i think its one of the best i have read on here.

I would love to do Mud Bugging and the kid i am travelling with would love it to, not sure about his mum though.Do you know if you have to book in pairs i read something like that on here some where. I may have to see if his mum will let me take him on his own and she could do another excursion or just stay on the ship, we will see.

I have i guess an unusual question for you. What did you wear. I have read numerous post about cruise wear and it all seems to be directed at a older crowd (no offence). Just wanted to know what you and your family wore not only on excursions but also when you dined at night, (where did you dine too) I'm in my mid to mid to late 20s and my friend is in the mid 40s. Also what was appropriate for your kids to wear to.

Thanks

Nellie - sorry for slllllow reply:

Mudbug question: There are mudbugs for 4. I believe that 3 could go in a 4 person mudbug.

Clothing: You know....anything goes! I think the only restrictions they have in the main dining rooms is no shorts or bathing suits. I wore crop pants and sandals and a nice top. The kids ... hmmm .... I think I left them in shorts. I did bring some polo shirts for them to wear to dinners. One night we dressed up and I wore the one and only dress I brought. In general - dress is very casual all over the ship.

Archived