Packing Cubes/Folders~~Which Brands/Sizes?

missyal

I was a big fan of the space bags for a long time because I thought I could pack more in my luggage. But it always seems that my clothes come out wrinkled. I looked back on old posts about the packing cubes and folders and it sounds like people are very happy with them. But, I am curious about the various brands~Eagle Creek, Rick Steeves, Ebags, etc.

Does anyone have a favorite brand? Size recommendations? I've found double cubes, half cubes , skinny cubes, 15" folders, 18" :eek::eek:! Help!

Thank you in advance.

Missyal

P.S. I will still keep my space bags around for laundry and wet stuff.:D

I actually have a set of both brands. I can't say that I prefer one to the other. I can say that I am a huge fan of them. I just spent two weeks traveling around Germany with my husband and we lived out of the cubes. I never really unpacked them. I use them for tops, undies, and socks. Pants and dresses go on top in the suitcase. With the cubes and an LLBean toiletry case, we were able to pack in two carryons (which we checked through), a laptop backpack, and large tote. So we had to ship our purchases home :-)

I use Eagle Creek (bought at the Container Store) but they are all about as good.

Since I'm an organizational freak, I just love them. I can keep everything organized and make sure I don't leave anything out (like dress socks for hubby). I pack belts around the outside of the cube and socks inside.

I use the folders also, but they can add some additional weight, so keep in mind for airline travel.

I definately use the shoe bags, I can fit two pairs of mine in one bag.

I also have a large leakproof bag for hairspray, gels, etc.

Hope this helps.

I have several brands and think they are all pretty much the same quality wise. I have Eagle Creek, Travelsmith, Ebags. I sell the Eagle Creek where I work, so I do have more of those.

I think the key is to only buy a couple to start out with, you won't need any more than 1 or 2 per suitcase of the folders, the same with the cubes. They do keep your clothing compressed without wrinkling if you pack your clothing without creases to begin with. Wrinkling and creases are caused by 2 things....shifting or too much compression. These accessories keep your things organized and keep the TSA's hands out of your clean clothes and underwear.

The key is knowing how to pack in them and practising a bit. You can use several methods, starting with the method shown on the folding board included with the packing folders. I have found that a bundle method within the folders works well for shirts. Instead of folding each shirt individually, I fold them as one, using a center core (cushion) to avoid creases on the inside shirt. I will use a small cube filled with socks or underwear as the core.

I do the same as above with pants and shorts. Each packing folder holds anywhere from 7 - 12 shirts or pants, so you don't need but one or two per suitcase. The size depends on the size of your clothing, mens shirts may require the 18 inch folder where women can use the 15 inch. If you want to pack a suit, there is the 20 inch folder. There is even a new garment sleeve (I haven't seen it yet).

Don't forget they do add about the same weight as a shirt would, so if you are really trying to cut back on weight be careful not to use too many packing folders. I also remove the folding board and don't take it along, it does weigh a few ounces and we need to spare those ounces for shoes!

The cubes come in many different variations, from mini all the way to jumbo size, some have 2 sides to them (convenient for sorting dirty from clean underwear. Personally, I think the cubes are more convenient for people who pack into duffles or backpacks.

I use a 15 inch folder if we fly to port and have an overnight stay. I pack into the folder the clothing we need for the hotel stay, pajamas, robes, the next days clothing, socks and underwear. That way we don't have to disturb any of the rest of the suitcase and the dirty clothing is separated already when we repack to board the ship.

If you have a travel or luggage store close to you, go see and feel the cubes and folders. There may be a sales person to help you understand them better. I talk to people about them all the time and sell quite a few.

Here's a link to Eagle Creek that will show you some of their options:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/

I love my packing cubes. I think mine are Ebags.

I bought the variety pack from amazon. Great price.

I do tend to use the larger size all the time. The smaller ones, I have used and then thought about why. I put socks, underwear in them and got to thinking I could just stuff those items in shoes, around the edge of the luggage, etc... So I really don't need to use the smaller ones.

I roll my clothes and place them in the cubes. I get an average of 5 shirts in the rectangle size. In the larger square size, I usually will pack flat and one on top of the other.

I also have different colors. One color will have the items I need for a quick overnight at the hotel the night before sailing. I just say, grab the purple one and left the rest in there.

My favorite part is being able to unzip the cube, fold over the flap and place in the drawers. No need to remove the clothes and place directly in the drawers. I always pack an empty one so when I start to have dirty clothes, I have a free one to fill up while leaving the clean clothes where they are.

I do think I can pack more in my luggage using them. Big time help when I travel with a dufflebag and backpack, as mentioned previously.

Thank you all so much for the info, especially to Happy KS for the great "how to" info. I really appeciate hearing as much as I can.

I know I can always count on CC'ers to come through! :D

You're very welcome.

I've actually sold to people who happen to watch me demo them to another customer. I've even had people tell me what clothes they are taking and have me select what they need.

Next, they will show up at the luggage store with clothing in hand wanting me to pack for them :p

I use Rick Steve's packing cubes. They are all mesh and very light weight.

I use them to sort underwear, from tops, from accesories, etc. Unpacking in the cabin, or hotel is very easy, just unzip the cube, fold the top back and your drawers are organized.

One cube of misc. items, like travel clock, sewing and first aid kit, etc. that go with me on every trip just stay packed in their cube, toss it in the suitcase and I know I haven't forgotten any of the odds and ends.

After reading Happy Ks's post I may need to give the folders a try for some of the items, like pants, that I have been packing loose.

I looked through the link I put on above and found they now have a garment sleeve in the Eagle Creek line. I was surprised to get to work on Saturday and find we had gotten them in the day before :)

Although they are fairly short in length and primarily for a mens suit or tux, they are of good quality and would easily hold 2 complete suits. They are sized to slip into a 22 inch carry on suitcase.

I wish I had the creativity to come up with some of these things! Think of the money someone is making!!

Happy KS~~is your store online> Are you allowed to post the link? Many thanks.

The company that owns us is:

www.coloradobaggage.com We've got stores under that name and stores that are called Bag N Baggage, some outlet stores in Texas and Florida, we used to have some called Malm Luggage, but those have mostly gone.

A list of our physical stores:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/text_1.asp

They also take online orders.

I used packing cubes for the first time on my Alaska cruise in May. I don't know how I survived packing without them. I have the Heys brand and these are the ones I have:

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PackingCube

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ShoeBag

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ToiletryBag

Happy KS~~another question if I may~~ Do you like the Pacsafe Metro safe bags? Or something similar? I'm not big on traditional back packs. I do like a cross body style.

Thank you sooo much.

Missyal

Archived