alcohol when sailing from San Juan

just G

When I have sailed on Carnival from San Juan, I have never had any trouble bringing alcohol onboard when embarking - simply put it in my carryon. Does Celebirty have the same policy when sailing out of San Juan? I would hate to buy a bunch at the terminal and then have it taken.

When I have sailed on Carnival from San Juan, I have never had any trouble bringing alcohol onboard when embarking - simply put it in my carryon. Does Celebirty have the same policy when sailing out of San Juan? I would hate to buy a bunch at the terminal and then have it taken.

The "Policy" is no alcohol allowed to be brought onboard. Only exception would be 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Enforcement of the policy varies from port to port and time to time.

I too have done both Carnival and Celebrity departures out of San Juan. The Carnival cruise was in 2006 - Carnival is pretty strict about bringing hard alcohol on board so I was shocked at the way things worked at San Juan.

We went on the Galaxy last spring and it worked the same way there too. We were at a different pier for that cruise and it was the same story at the duty free - put it in your backpack and nothing was said.

I can't say that it will be the same experience for you, but it was the same experience for me in San Juan for both cruise lines and at different piers. I am sure there are others on this board that will share their experiences with you and they maybe different from mine.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Just g, We are sailing Carnival out of San Juan soon, I was wondering if I can bring alcohol on board to enjoy in the room. Whats the best way to do that? Do we buy it at the pier? If its in our carry ons, won't security see it on the scanner and take it away?

While I certainly can't tell you what will happen on your cruise, I can tell you what I have heard and what I personally experienced. We sailed on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan in May 2009. Several people on these boards said that if you buy at the cruise terminal in san juan and simply put the alcohol in your carryon the people doing security will not stop you. They still scan the luggage but they let it through. That is EXACTLY what happened. I purchased two bottles of 1800 (tequila) put it in my carry on and they said nothing. We had margaritas all week - simply put them in waterbottle for use in the lounge as well. Never had a problem. My understanding is that carnival has an unoffical agreement with puerto rico - if booze bought there, they say nothing.

I am trying to find out if the same is true for celebrity. No one seems to know. I am sailing again in January and guess I will just have to chance it. Hope this info helped.

Archived