Help me pick an itinerary, please!

MaiTaiMary

I'm looking at a cruise for Spring, 2011. I need some help trying to figure out which itinerary would be best for our family. :D

We'll have 3 small children. Ages will be 3 1/2, 5, and 6 1/2.

Interested in beaches!!! We're water people and really want to spend a lot of time at nice beaches and relaxing as much as possible. We'd be interested in exploring the local area a bit, but with 3 small children, really don't want to do anything too long or intense.

We're not big time shoppers or need any kind of nightlife.

All are 8 nights.

Eastern: Day at sea, Puerto Rico (5:00p - midnight), St. Thomas (7:00a - 6:00p), Antigua (7:00a - 6:00p), Tortola BVI (7:00a - 3:30p), Nassau, Bahamas (12:00p - 7:00p), Day at Sea (Ship: Freedom)

$869pp

Western: Day at sea, Cozumel (8:00a - 5:00p), Day at Sea, Costa Rica (10:00a - 6:00p), Day at Sea, Panama (7:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at Sea

$689pp (Ship: Freedom)

Southern: Day at sea, Day at sea, St. Maarten (8:00a - 5:00p), St. Lucia (9:00a- 5:00p), St. Kitts (9:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at sea

$759 pp (Ship: Miracle)

The Eastern itinerary appeals to me because I've always wanted to visit those ports (minus Puerto Rico). Five ports sounds kind of tiring, though.

Again, I love the ports in the Western itinerary. Three ports and 5 days at sea sound pretty relaxing.

With the Southern itinerary, we'd get 4 days at sea and 3 ports (in a row). I really don't know much about the ports, though. But I believe they would have nice beaches, yes?

Any tips for picking an itinerary?? Thanks! :D

we did that eastern iteniary a few years ago. the puerto rico stop isnt that bad, arrival is so late, there isnt much to do there except maybe old san juan or stay on the ship. tortola is a gem and i think this is the only circuit it is on. the highlight of the trip, i thought. i cruise for the ports, so i'd definetly pick this eastern. too many sea days for me on the others. just to add to the confusion, the best southern circuit is the one that leaves from san juan. i know, just thought i'd add that on. :D

I think you should pick the one your family members like. :rolleyes:

Certainly reading posted reviews of the ships and itinerarys would help you to make the correct decision.

That's what I'm trying to research now. My family and myself don't know which one we'd like yet. If we did... no reason for the thread! ;)

I have no idea where any reviews are on those specific ships or itineraries. This site is huge! If you can find any, I'd apprciate it.

Also, I really wanted to hear from some fellow Carnival people who have young kids and have done these ports before. Looking for pros and cons of these itineraries w/ young kids.

Thanks!:D

I have no idea where any reviews are on those specific ships or itineraries. This site is huge! If you can find any, I'd apprciate it.

At the very top of the page, there is a tab for "Reviews". Click on that and it will take you to the Reviews posted by members. They are organized by ship, so you can read lots of reviews of each of the ships you are considering.

I really like Spirit class ships the best ~ Miracle was a fantastic ship (although she was Western Itinerary when we sailed her). We've been to St. Maarten and really like it ~ Orient Beach is a huge, long beach with tons of restaurants, water toys, etc. Haven't been to the other 2 ports on that itinerary, though.

Your Eastern Itinerary might be a bit much with 5 port days. We liked St. Thomas a lot, but didn't care much for Nassau.

On your Western Itinerary, we LOVED Cozumel. Paradise Beach is another great beach with a nice restaurant, clean bathrooms and water toys that your kids would really enjoy. Pay a one-time fee and they can use them all day (I think it's $10 now).

Good luck! :)

I would go the southern route, all those beaches and islands are great, have been on the eastern and the islands were fantasitc, we also went in the spring to st thomas and st martin and loved it not only are the islands beautiful but the excursions are fun and reasonably priced it is great for water lovers such as us and we live in fl. the temp for the southern route in the spring is fantactic not to hot or cold the water was a little cool but great for swiming go enjoy.

That's what I'm trying to research now. My family and myself don't know which one we'd like yet. If we did... no reason for the thread! ;)

Also, I really wanted to hear from some fellow Carnival people who have young kids and have done these ports before. Looking for pros and cons of these itineraries w/ young kids.

Thanks!:D

Here is the Ports of Call board...everything you could want to know about the stops specific ships make...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also, if you Google your questions, CC posts will come up in the list.

I'm looking at a cruise for Spring, 2011. I need some help trying to figure out which itinerary would be best for our family. :D

We'll have 3 small children. Ages will be 3 1/2, 5, and 6 1/2.

Interested in beaches!!! We're water people and really want to spend a lot of time at nice beaches and relaxing as much as possible. We'd be interested in exploring the local area a bit, but with 3 small children, really don't want to do anything too long or intense.

We're not big time shoppers or need any kind of nightlife.

All are 8 nights.

Eastern: Day at sea, Puerto Rico (5:00p - midnight), St. Thomas (7:00a - 6:00p), Antigua (7:00a - 6:00p), Tortola BVI (7:00a - 3:30p), Nassau, Bahamas (12:00p - 7:00p), Day at Sea (Ship: Freedom)

$869pp

Western: Day at sea, Cozumel (8:00a - 5:00p), Day at Sea, Costa Rica (10:00a - 6:00p), Day at Sea, Panama (7:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at Sea

$689pp (Ship: Freedom)

Southern: Day at sea, Day at sea, St. Maarten (8:00a - 5:00p), St. Lucia (9:00a- 5:00p), St. Kitts (9:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at sea

$759 pp (Ship: Miracle)

The Eastern itinerary appeals to me because I've always wanted to visit those ports (minus Puerto Rico). Five ports sounds kind of tiring, though.

Again, I love the ports in the Western itinerary. Three ports and 5 days at sea sound pretty relaxing.

With the Southern itinerary, we'd get 4 days at sea and 3 ports (in a row). I really don't know much about the ports, though. But I believe they would have nice beaches, yes?

Any tips for picking an itinerary?? Thanks! :D

I'd pick the Western (1st) or Southern (2nd) route. The kids would probably be pooped with the port-intensive Eastern cruise. Of course, if the kids are tired, you can leave them with Camp Carnival or babysitting and go on the Eastern itinerary.

I think your children are too young for white water rafting. I have done all three of the itineraries. I like the Eastern the best. Western is not my favorite. If you do the Easterm Nassau, you can take a water taxi (10 minutes) to atlantis and let the kids spend the day on the water slides. Not sure what the rates are now. You can pull up the Atlantis and check out rates too. I know the kids we were with loved them. One was 5 other was 6. You can spend the day at the beach there too. We love the Freedom. We did the Eastern last year on her. This year we did the Exotic Western which was okay. Once was enough for me. Eastern we have done 7 times and Southern once. Freedom is a great ship. We loved it. Have fun no matter where you go.

I think I would choose Eastern with kids.... beach days are easy and relaxing with them...

Cozumel would be great with kids but I don't think Panama and Costa Rica would be.... might not hold their attention to do the canal and stuff...

Southern would be Ok .... but my kids do better with port days than sea days..... so I think that one would be to many sea days

Based on your description of young children and a desire for beaches, you can rule out the western itinerary. We sailed this route in 2005 and loved it but only Cozumel will have easy access to beaches. Colon Panama is near the canal entrance and Gatun locks. Limon Costa Rica has no beaches in the vicinity of the port, you would need to hire a driver and head south toward Puerto Viejo. The beaches there are beautiful but it is nearly an hour away. There is a public beach north of Limon but it isn't as attractive as the ones farther south.

The Eastern route you mention is a great choice for beaches. The first two days will be like sea days as you won't reach San Juan until early evening but your kids will probably enjoy a stroll around the old town. St. Thomas has many wonderful beaches to choose from, Antigua has 360 different beaches! :) Tortola has Cane Garden Bay which is a personal favorite beach of ours. As someone said earlier, Tortola is truly a gem. And Nassau has beaches in easy reach but if you are all beached out by then you could just explore around the ship and straw market and make it a relaxing day.

The Southern route also has great beaches on all three islands. St. Martin is perhaps the easiest island in the Caribbean to have fun on. St. Lucia and St. Kitts both offer spectacular scenery and beautiful beaches though more laid back than St. Martin. If you think the kids will enjoy the sea days and you can book a cabin forward on decks five, six or seven near Camp Carnival and the Arcade, you should give this itinerary consideration. After three days on the beach you might just find two sea days and some relaxation the perfect tonic before arriving back in Florida. :cool:

Which ever you choose I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Archived