Car rental advice, Katakolon & Santorini

greenbuick

Four of us will be on a cruise tht will stop in Katakolon and Santorini in early October and plan to use car rentals on both islands.

In Katakolon we plan to drive primarily to Olympia and back. Are there any serious issues we shoud be concerned about and is there sufficient parking available at Olympa?

In Santorini we plan to drive to Oia and other scenic sights. I have

read that parking is scarce and that the police are very dilligent and instead of issuing summonses remove the license plates and the renter must retrieve them from the police station and of course pay a fine. In addition the roads are not easy to navigate.

Would public transportation be an advisable,dependable alternative in either situation or should we stick to our plan and rent cars?

read that parking is scarce and that the police are very dilligent and instead of issuing summonses remove the license plates and the renter must retrieve them from the police station and of course pay a fine. In addition the roads are not easy to navigate.

Parking on Santorini in October shouldn't be too much of a concern (we were there in late September and it was never an issue.) Most of the roads are easy to navigate (there are few of them, so getting lost isn't an issue.) There are a couple of sights that might be a little 'hair raising' to drive to, but you could avoid them...Monastery of Profitis Ilias and Ancient Thira.

Other sites that are easy to drive to and worth visiting: The Lighthouse (at the end of the road to the west of Akrotiri), Red Beach, Perissa Beach, Pyrgos, Imerovigli and Oia. We saved Oia until the end of the day, after the tour buses had left. http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/1647_santorini.jpg

What hours are you in Santorini and do you know how many other ships are in port that day with you?

Four of us will be on a cruise tht will stop in Katakolon and Santorini in early October and plan to use car rentals on both islands.

In Katakolon we plan to drive primarily to Olympia and back. Are there any serious issues we shoud be concerned about and is there sufficient parking available at Olympa?

Would public transportation be an advisable,dependable alternative in either situation or should we stick to our plan and rent cars?

Stick to your plan and rent cars. We rented last October in both Santorini and Katakolon for Olympia, and there was plenty of parking available at Olympia right in front of the fantastic museum. The car rental (Mr. Diplas) will provide you with a hand-drawn map showing the exact route and where to park. We spent about two hours at the museum and one hour touring the actual site right next to it. The drive was 30 minutes each way. Unfortunately, these are the most "ruined ruins" we ever have visited.

We re-visited Santorini three weeks ago for the day and again rented a car. We found parking easy on both visits anywhere we went, including Oia both visits, and did not find driving on Santorini difficult at all once you leave the congestion of Fira behind. I did not find the roads hard to navigate at all. (Of course, I did live in Manhattan for 11 years.:D)

Enjoy your trip!

your car hire from? We are going to Santorini at the end of the month and would like to hire a car for the day. We dock at Fira and would like to get a car from the top. Can you help as to where you got yours?

susan

your car hire from? We are going to Santorini at the end of the month and would like to hire a car for the day. We dock at Fira and would like to get a car from the top. Can you help as to where you got yours?

susan

Last September, we rented from Europecar on the main street leaving town, a last-minute decision after deciding the ATV's were too tippy and dangerous. However, they have closed their downtown Fira office (now only are at the airport), so in June we rented from Tony's, as per several recommendations on this board. They were very good to deal with, and just 150 yards from the cable car terminus. However, the car, a Hyundai Atos automatic, really labored up the hills (unlike the Ford I had from Europcar in September), perhaps because I had the a/c blasting the entire time.

BTW, if you need an automatic, I suggest you reserve ahead of time if you are visting in the prime tourist months. While at Tony's, they turned away several customers looking to rent automatics.

susan

We used Damigos - www.damigoscars.gr

They will wait for you as you exit the cable car entrance and walk you back to their office. Very nice people who speak excellent English. We paid 42 euros for a Hyundai Atos.

Joe

Just follow the buses and taxis - they are all heading to Olympia. We parked a block away in the village on the street. No charge for parking. Make sure you stroll through the village before heading back to Katakolon. There is an excellent grocery store there where you can buy local olive oil, wine, etc. at good prices.

Go to the museum first, then the ruins. The tour groups go to the ruins first, then the museum. By doing these in reverse order, you can avoid many of the crowds.

Just as you come into Oia, you will see a hotel on the right hand side with a sign on the road advertising parking. They have a large lot - 3 euros for up to 5 hours. We parked there and had only a 2 minute walk to Oia.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Stick to your plan and rent cars. We rented last October in both Santorini and Katakolon for Olympia, and there was plenty of parking available at Olympia right in front of the fantastic museum. The car rental (Mr. Diplas) will provide you with a hand-drawn map showing the exact route and where to park. We spent about two hours at the museum and one hour touring the actual site right next to it. The drive was 30 minutes each way. Unfortunately, these are the most "ruined ruins" we ever have visited.

We re-visited Santorini three weeks ago for the day and again rented a car. We found parking easy on both visits anywhere we went, including Oia both visits, and did not find driving on Santorini difficult at all once you leave the congestion of Fira behind. I did not find the roads hard to navigate at all. (Of course, I did live in Manhattan for 11 years.:D)

Enjoy your trip!

Is the name of the car rental Mr. Diplas? Where is it located in Katakolon? Approx how much was it to rent? Did you go to the great Winery that is close to Olympia?

Just follow the buses and taxis - they are all heading to Olympia. We parked a block away in the village on the street. No charge for parking. Make sure you stroll through the village before heading back to Katakolon. There is an excellent grocery store there where you can buy local olive oil, wine, etc. at good prices.

Go to the museum first, then the ruins. The tour groups go to the ruins first, then the museum. By doing these in reverse order, you can avoid many of the crowds.

Just as you come into Oia, you will see a hotel on the right hand side with a sign on the road advertising parking. They have a large lot - 3 euros for up to 5 hours. We parked there and had only a 2 minute walk to Oia.

Joe

In Katakolon who did you rent from and where was it from the ship? How much was it? Did you go to the Great winery that is close to Olympia?

Is the name of the car rental Mr. Diplas? Where is it located in Katakolon? Approx how much was it to rent? Did you go to the great Winery that is close to Olympia?

The name of the car rental company is Katakolo-Rent-A-Car and Mr. Christos Diplas is the owner. It is right across the street from the dock and is the only car rental agency in Katakolon itself. It cost 45 Euros for the rental (plus 10 Euros for gas), but I needed to rent an automatic because I cannot drive a stick shift.

Our cruiseship (Oceania Nautica) docked in Katakolon at 12:30, so we did not have time to go to any wineries. Our interest was Olympia, and the fantastic museum located there.

Enjoy your visit!

In Katakolon who did you rent from and where was it from the ship? How much was it? Did you go to the Great winery that is close to Olympia?

We used Avis. It's one block to the right of where the tender boats arrive in Katakolon. We rented a brand new Fiat Punto for 50 euros including full coverage insurance. We did not have a reservation.

Here's a link to their location:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/location/EUR/GR/Ilia

Our original plan was to take the train, but our tender did not put us ashore in time to make the 8:36am train departure time. We split the cost with another couple in the same situation, so we paid 25 euros per couple, which we very happy with considering what the ship was asking for excursions to Olympia and what the taxis were charging. We put about 7 euros in gas before we returned the car.

We did not visit the winery. Our port time was very short - we had to be back onboard by 1:30. If you have a later departure time you very likely can combine Olympia and the winery.

Joe

Last September, we rented from Europecar on the main street leaving town, a last-minute decision after deciding the ATV's were too tippy and dangerous. However, they have closed their downtown Fira office (now only are at the airport), so in June we rented from Tony's, as per several recommendations on this board. They were very good to deal with, and just 150 yards from the cable car terminus. However, the car, a Hyundai Atos automatic, really labored up the hills (unlike the Ford I had from Europcar in September), perhaps because I had the a/c blasting the entire time.

BTW, if you need an automatic, I suggest you reserve ahead of time if you are visting in the prime tourist months. While at Tony's, they turned away several customers looking to rent automatics.

How did you contact Tony's? I found a phone number on the car rental site, but was wondering if it is possible to email. Thank you!

NEVERMIND that question. I just found the website and sent in a request. I think it sounds like the way to go. Our ship is in port from 4 pm to 11 pm. Does anyone know how late the cable cars will run?

How did you contact Tony's? I found a phone number on the car rental site, but was wondering if it is possible to email. Thank you!

NEVERMIND that question. I just found the website and sent in a request. I think it sounds like the way to go. Our ship is in port from 4 pm to 11 pm. Does anyone know how late the cable cars will run?

I have 2 different email addresses for Tony's

tonys@san.forthnet.gr

or

thiragr@otenet.gr

FYI - when I inquired a few months ago regarding a car rental for this summer, he told me that in order to make my reservation I needed to put down a 40% deposit with my credit card

We have booked a car with Spiridakos in Santorini for Oct. cruse. They have some good prices if you book online. However, I have no experience with them yet, just read some favorable comments on boards.

I have 2 different email addresses for Tony's

tonys@san.forthnet.gr

or

thiragr@otenet.gr

FYI - when I inquired a few months ago regarding a car rental for this summer, he told me that in order to make my reservation I needed to put down a 40% deposit with my credit card

We have booked a car with Spiridakos in Santorini for Oct. cruse. They have some good prices if you book online. However, I have no experience with them yet, just read some favorable comments on boards.

Thank you both so much! Favorable comments on the boards had always worked for me.

I just used the website form to contact Tony's and they got back to me right away. No deposit or credit card information was required. An easy walk from the cable car; he will send you a map with your confirmation.

I just used the website form to contact Tony's and they got back to me right away. No deposit or credit card information was required. An easy walk from the cable car; he will send you a map with your confirmation.

i wonder if he was asking for a deposit since I'm going at high season.

i thought it was strange too since no one had ever mentioned anything about a deposit before

but the email i received from him, which a map to his place required a 40% deposit in order to book the car

i wonder if he was asking for a deposit since I'm going at high season.

i thought it was strange too since no one had ever mentioned anything about a deposit before

but the email i received from him, which a map to his place required a 40% deposit in order to book the car

Well, he does take AMEX, which provides good automobile insurance for Greek car rentals (although none in Italy); AMEX also is pretty good for vendor disputes as well.

I usually use my no fee Capitol One card for all my credit card transactions in Europe, but I always use my AMEX for all my car rentals to get the insurance, which can be very expensive in Europe for the coverage I want.

You will love Santorini. Enjoy your trip!

I have reserved a car from Tony's for my Sept. trip & received the deposit form. I did send the deposit which I read as 40% if renting more than a day or at least 1 days cost. My husband & I decided it was worth having the car reservation so I faxed the form with deposit info.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I need to reserve a car in advance at Katakalo-Rent-A-Car? Or can I just get off the ship and rent one. Is it easy to find the rental place? There will only be 2 ships at port when we are there? I think I would like the flexability of having a car there.

Do I need to reserve a car in advance at Katakalo-Rent-A-Car? Or can I just get off the ship and rent one. Is it easy to find the rental place? There will only be 2 ships at port when we are there? I think I would like the flexability of having a car there.

Well, we reserved for last September because I need an automatic and they are a lot more scarce in Europe, so I don't know if you need to reserve in advance, but you do not pay until you get there, so why not?

The rental place literally is across the street from the dock and the town itself basically is one long shopping street, very small.

If the train times are good for your cruise schedule, the train to Olympia is good, but our ship did not arrive until 12:30 PM, so the train was not an option because I knew I needed at least three hours at the site itself and its wonderful adjoining museum. (It's a 30-minute drive from Katakolon to Olympia.)

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you for your response. We reserved a car so we can be on our own schedule. Is it easy to find Olympia? Is the car rental place clearly marked across the street from the port? It sounds like it is.

Yes, the drive to Olympia is very easy. Mr. Diplas will give you a small hand-drawn map which indicates the only two turns you need to make for the entire 30-minute drive to Olympia. He also asked us to refill the gas for about 8? Euros, which we did at the small gas station a couple of miles before you get back to Katakolon.

Most of the drive is highway, two lanes each way, and very easy. Once at Olympia, another comparatively small town, there is parking right in front of the terrific musuem, which is right next door to the archeological site.

The car rental place is right across the street from the port exit; you cannot miss it. Katakolon is a very small town, and you need to turn right to get to all the shops, but just cross the street to get to the car rental place.

Enjoy your day there!

Archived