Booking through RCCL or TA?

I see many people book direct with RCCL and then transfer their booking to a TA just prior to final payment. Is this practice done to insure that the cheapest fare will be found?

I am asking because I have booked a cruise with a trusted TA and the price I have is $300 less than I can get through RCCL. I guess I just don't quite understand. My cruise is still 5 months from now so maybe I'm not getting the lowest price by booking with TA.:confused:

I would appreciate your comments.

We always book through a TA. We have used her for years for all of our trips (not just cruises). Our cruise is in 76 days and I paid 600.00 less back in November when I booked it with the TA than RCCL is offering right now on their website as a "hot deal". I save money on all my trips by booking with my TA. So I believe in always using TA's and would never book directly through the cruise line.

Happy Cruising!

It sounds like your TA is holding group space and that is why you are getting it cheaper through the TA, normally the price would be exactly the same. Stay where you are but check for price drops as if it drops lower then you can get money back unless it is a promotion for new bookings only like the tuesday sales events.

I absolutly think I have a great deal however others on the cruise I have booked keep looking for prices to go down and they have booked through RCCL. My TA is great; I am just trying to determine the value of booking on Rccl's site or through a TA.

I book with RCL as I am quite specific as to the cabin I would like to have - aft being my preference. I then transfer prior to final payment to my TA as my Visa card allows me to use my reward dollars at this particular travel agency and I get double the points when I use them as my travel agency. I only relinquish control on my reservation once I have secured the cabin and I am sure I am not changing cabins or dates. My TA is quite good concerning price drops so I have the best of both worlds :D

It all depends on your comfort level. Sometimes the best price is not the best value for you and your family.

If you are comfortable then stick with what you have, if not book with RCCL. Some people, many believe it or not, prefer to deal with someone face to face.

I have always booked my vacations (cruises etc) through a TA.

This time I booked through Travelocity instead of my usual TA as they had better incentives. BIG MISTAKE! :mad:

Have had nothing but problems and spent hours & hours trying to resolve issues. Still working on revolving the last 4 problems. They've mispelled names, linked our reservations to parties unknown, overcharged and delayed refunding $$, applied coupons without authorization from me to cancel out original incentives. It's really been unbelievable!

DO NOT BOOK TRAVELOCITY - I will not make the same mistake again.

...I am asking because I have booked a cruise with a trusted TA and the price I have is $300 less than I can get through RCCL.

Well, that alone would make me keep my TA!

I use a TA just so that I have a buffer between me and RCCL in the event that something happens (which I have NEVER had any problems).

I book direct. I refuse to buy a buggy whip for my new car.

Peter

Oh, I hear ya! After my last TA fiasco, I will certainly try to book direct with RCI next time. It's so annoying to have to go through a non-responsive non-knowledgeable TA when the slightest question can be addressed with one phone call.

I've always enjoyed my interaction with customer service at RCI - not so much with my TAs. And I don't care about OBCs or anything else a TA can offer.

I hear a lot of people book while onboard, to receive the shipboard credit. Then they transfer to a trusted TA, and that TA keeps an eye out for price drops. At least that is what some of my friends do, and it really seems to work.

I have always booked my vacations (cruises etc) through a TA.

This time I booked through Travelocity instead of my usual TA as they had better incentives. BIG MISTAKE! :mad:

Have had nothing but problems and spent hours & hours trying to resolve issues. Still working on revolving the last 4 problems. They've mispelled names, linked our reservations to parties unknown, overcharged and delayed refunding $$, applied coupons without authorization from me to cancel out original incentives. It's really been unbelievable!

DO NOT BOOK TRAVELOCITY - I will not make the same mistake again.

I agree! I am having problems with Travelocity, too. There were great booking incentives, but I have already been on the phone 3 times to resolve problems and unauthorized charges.

I also made the mistake of taking Travelocity's insurance. It seemed like a good deal (we usually get independent insurance). Then I book an excursion on RCI's website and Travelocity charges me another $68 for insurance because they said that my total cruise package price went up due to the excursion cost and I need to pay more for insurance. I disputed that charge! I'm not paying $68 more in insurance to cover $190 in excursions!!

Wow - Glad you mentioned the excursions / insurance issue. Agree - that makes utterly no sense! ! ! Stick to you guns and escalate all the way up if you have to. I spent entirely too much time tiring to resolve issues - squeaky wheel worked. Pen in hand I was ready to contact the Senior Executives with names, etc.

Good luck TeacherCab! We learned the hard way . . . and gosh be darned I won't make the same mistake twice (don't care what they offer)

Archived