Nassau/Paradise Island Advice

Just got off of the Monarch July 3rd. Had a wonderful time on this 4 night cruise. We're Platinum and have been to Nassau a couple times before, but it's been probably 5-6 years since we were last there. Because my memory was so poor, we struggled a little on our day, so I thought I'd send on some Nassau/Paradise Island advice.

Water Taxi ride to Paradise Island is $3 each way. This is what we did. They will sell you one-way or round-trip tickets inside the Visitor Center. We purchased round-trip. Once you board the water taxi, a very friendly "tour guide" will speak to you the entire way there - offering some historical facts about the island and pointing out various celebrity-owned properties along the way. They expect tips for their tour, but are not aggressive about "demanding" anything. I thought the trip TO Paradise Island was informative and I gave the guy $5 (we had 6 people in our group). However, you get the exact same speech on the way back, and it was more of a nuisance than anything (since we already heard it all that morning). They will tell you it's a quick 5 minute walk to the beach. Hogwash. It's 15 minutes. NEVER enter the hotels to try and "cut through" to the beach. There is an access point next to the RIU hotel, and that's the only real way to get to the beach. We made the mistake of entering the Atlantis property at their little shopping mall and walked and walked and walked until we finall figured out to leave the building, go back onto the street, and walk to the RIU and the Beach Access next door.

At the top of the hill, you'll be greeted by several locals offering hair braiding ($1.50 per strand), Beach Lounge Chairs ($10 each) and Jet Ski's ($70 per half-hour). Of course, everything is negotiable. We didn't want any of those, but I did hear a "hawker" down by the water offer a couple of guys a half-hour Jet Ski for $50.

There are rest rooms, showers, and a little snack shop right along the beach.

Land Taxis are $4 to Paradise Island, but you can get back to the ship for $3 per person. They will drop you off right at the beach access and will take you back to the ship in air conditioning. Next time we go to Nassau and Paradise Island - I'll definitely take the land taxis. If you want to take the water ferry (and it is fun, I'll admit) only purchase a one-way ticket so you can take the land taxis back to the ship. You'll be glad you did!

Just got off of the Monarch July 3rd. Had a wonderful time on this 4 night cruise. We're Platinum and have been to Nassau a couple times before, but it's been probably 5-6 years since we were last there. Because my memory was so poor, we struggled a little on our day, so I thought I'd send on some Nassau/Paradise Island advice.

Water Taxi ride to Paradise Island is $3 each way. This is what we did. They will sell you one-way or round-trip tickets inside the Visitor Center. We purchased round-trip. Once you board the water taxi, a very friendly "tour guide" will speak to you the entire way there - offering some historical facts about the island and pointing out various celebrity-owned properties along the way. They expect tips for their tour, but are not aggressive about "demanding" anything. I thought the trip TO Paradise Island was informative and I gave the guy $5 (we had 6 people in our group). However, you get the exact same speech on the way back, and it was more of a nuisance than anything (since we already heard it all that morning). They will tell you it's a quick 5 minute walk to the beach. Hogwash. It's 15 minutes. NEVER enter the hotels to try and "cut through" to the beach. There is an access point next to the RIU hotel, and that's the only real way to get to the beach. We made the mistake of entering the Atlantis property at their little shopping mall and walked and walked and walked until we finall figured out to leave the building, go back onto the street, and walk to the RIU and the Beach Access next door.

At the top of the hill, you'll be greeted by several locals offering hair braiding ($1.50 per strand), Beach Lounge Chairs ($10 each) and Jet Ski's ($70 per half-hour). Of course, everything is negotiable. We didn't want any of those, but I did hear a "hawker" down by the water offer a couple of guys a half-hour Jet Ski for $50.

There are rest rooms, showers, and a little snack shop right along the beach.

Land Taxis are $4 to Paradise Island, but you can get back to the ship for $3 per person. They will drop you off right at the beach access and will take you back to the ship in air conditioning. Next time we go to Nassau and Paradise Island - I'll definitely take the land taxis. If you want to take the water ferry (and it is fun, I'll admit) only purchase a one-way ticket so you can take the land taxis back to the ship. You'll be glad you did!

You were at Cabbage beach? When did they put in bathrooms?

Archived