What to See from Hiio?

bobpatj

We are planning to rent a car, to sightsee in the Hilo area. Two years ago, we rented a car and went to VNP for the day, so we would like to go other places, this time. Can you offer any suggestions as to what would be some other good places to visit? We will be there in late November, if that makes any difference. Thank you!

Rent a car and drive the "Red Road" in Puna. You can stop and dip in the Ahalanui Warm Pond. This is a beautiful drive with lots of place to stop and drink in the scenery along the way.

Rent a car and drive the "Red Road" in Puna. You can stop and dip in the Ahalanui Warm Pond. This is a beautiful drive with lots of place to stop and drink in the scenery along the way.[/quote

Is this a relaxing drive compared to "road to hana" is there a lot of traffic? thanks

It is very relaxing and there is very little traffic. It is paved all the way, but a slow drive as the road winds and is not quite 2 lanes wide. No problem though.....an easy, beautiful drive. If you look on a map the Red Road is Rt. 137. It is at the end of this road, in Kalapana, where you can see the steam plumes rising if the lava is flowing into the ocean.

It is very relaxing and there is very little traffic. It is paved all the way, but a slow drive as the road winds and is not quite 2 lanes wide. No problem though.....an easy, beautiful drive. If you look on a map the Red Road is Rt. 137. It is at the end of this road, in Kalapana, where you can see the steam plumes rising if the lava is flowing into the ocean.

This is great as this will be our 2nd trip to the islands and couldn't find anything for Hilo that interested us. Much thanks.

If you go to Akaka Falls, be sure to take the old scenic 4-mile "detour" off the main hiway that goes along the ocean and then ends at the main highway again. Along this scenic byway, you will also find the Botanical Gardens, and they are well worth a stop. Aloha!

Here are some photos and information about the Red Road.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Red-Road.htm

We plan to do the scenic 4 mile detour on Rt 19 N of Hilo. Don't know if these two ideas can be combined.

After your touring, sit out on the back of the ship and watch the ocean beyond the breakwater. I was amazed at the number of whales that we saw in this area.

btw - we walked out to the area where the buses were and a Hawaiian lady asked us if we had anything planned in Hilo. We didn't so she suggested the "loop bus" to us. I believe that it was Bus 22. For a couple bucks, we took a ride through the Oriental park, out to the chocolate factory (where they stop for 15 or 20 minutes so you can tour and sample the chocolate, out to the Macadamia plantation - where they again stop for 15 or 20 minutes), back through town (where you could get off at a shopping mall across the street from WalMart) and then around the beach/coast area outside of town (if you didn't want to get off at the mall), and delivered us right back to the ship. It's a city bus - very nice and comfortable, just like a tour bus - but they can't sell it as a "tour" because there is no official narration. However, the driver told us that all the drivers have their own microphone/boombox type set up and do tell you about the area. Our driver gave us a FABULOUS narrated non-tour!

They only run the bus once in the morning. Then, in the afternoon, I believe they said they do a non-tour ;) around another route. I can look up my information and confirm the bus number if you are interested.

Beach4me - Would love to have any further information on this bus. How far do you have to walk to board it? Thanks for your help.

Hey, Bucky! The bus is in the lot right outside the warehouse you walk through when you get off the ship. It's maybe 2 minutes from ship to bus - less than a 1-block walk total from gangway until you step up on the bus.

Took me a couple minutes but I did find the info. I was almost right :o - the bus number is 223. And, it was only $1 - not two.

Here's my notes on it:

The city puts a bus in service (I was told by the driver that it is almost always the 223 bus) on the day when a ship is in port. It runs only in the morning, but you really need to catch it if you can. For $1 you will get to go to the Hawaii Candy Factory (15 minute stop over), the Moana Loa Macadamia Nut Farm/Factory (again, about 15 minute stop over), you will pass through the Japanese gardens and past the natural spring pond, and you will go to the beachs. The whole tour takes 1 1/2 hours and you get a really nice view of Hilo...for a buck! The driver said that it is not a "tour" bus (very nice, comfortable, clean) and is not equipped with a microphone...but he carries his own. Just don't mistake it for an 'actual' tour. Although, I'm not really sure how it varied from one other than in price. ;) I guess if you don't get the driver that we got (I believe his name was Paul), it may be a bit different of an experience. I want to say it was around 9:00 a.m. when we left the ship and walked right onto the bus. We were directed there by a little gray-haired lady in a muumuu. It runs only in the morning and only does a couple loops.

**They did say there is a different route some afternoons when ships are in port. The morning run is the only one that is always scheduled on cruise ships day, though.

Hey, Bucky! The bus is in the lot right outside the warehouse you walk through when you get off the ship. It's maybe 2 minutes from ship to bus - less than a 1-block walk total from gangway until you step up on the bus.

Took me a couple minutes but I did find the info. I was almost right :o - the bus number is 223. And, it was only $1 - not two.

Here's my notes on it:

The city puts a bus in service (I was told by the driver that it is almost always the 223 bus) on the day when a ship is in port. It runs only in the morning, but you really need to catch it if you can. For $1 you will get to go to the Hawaii Candy Factory (15 minute stop over), the Moana Loa Macadamia Nut Farm/Factory (again, about 15 minute stop over), you will pass through the Japanese gardens and past the natural spring pond, and you will go to the beachs. The whole tour takes 1 1/2 hours and you get a really nice view of Hilo...for a buck! The driver said that it is not a "tour" bus (very nice, comfortable, clean) and is not equipped with a microphone...but he carries his own. Just don't mistake it for an 'actual' tour. Although, I'm not really sure how it varied from one other than in price. ;) I guess if you don't get the driver that we got (I believe his name was Paul), it may be a bit different of an experience. I want to say it was around 9:00 a.m. when we left the ship and walked right onto the bus. We were directed there by a little gray-haired lady in a muumuu. It runs only in the morning and only does a couple loops.

**They did say there is a different route some afternoons when ships are in port. The morning run is the only one that is always scheduled on cruise ships day, though.

Thank you for this tidbit of information...

think I might try it..

• 5 months later...

Archived