POA Dress Code question

Junebug08

Can men wear shorts and a collared golf shirt to the main dining room.

My hubby hates to dress up and was looking forward to the freestyle form cruising. I read somewhere on the NCL website though that slacks are required in the main dining room for men ?

Has there been a change in the dress request? In the past, it's been slacks/nice jeans with collared shirt for men and slacks/capris/nice jeans/skirt and top or sundress for women for dinner in the main dining rooms (one allows jeans; one does not) and the specialty restaurants. Is this a change specific to PoAm?

Mahalo.

beachchick

Save the Tie for the Boardroom

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

Therefore, at LUNCH or BREAKFAST in the main dining room shorts would be allowed for anyone. Children under 12 can wear shorts in the main dining rooms at any times, even dinner.

But at DINNER men wear collared shirts and pants or nice jeans in the main dining rooms.

Buffet and outdoor grill allow shorts. If your DH really hates long pants that much, at least there is that option.

This is the first cruise we've done where we're not going to dress up for formal night. Rather looking forward to it.

Suitcase will be lighter that's for sure.

Kerri

You can wear shorts in the Liberty the first and last nights. On the other nights you must dine in the Skyline to wear shorts. We loved it, we didn't have time for all that dressing up!

Thanks for that information, Louise. Was this printed in the daily paper? It's the first time I've heard of that much of a relaxed dress code!

I looked at your photos but saw only the zoo. Is there somewhere else to see photos of the actual cruise? Thanks

No, it's just one of those unspoken rules. I heard it on here before we left but didn't believe it because I had seen the recent dailie that didn't say that. Well Hawaii is more laid back than any cruise we have been on. We both wore shorts the 1st night in the Liberty but after that they told us we would have to go to the Skyline if we chose to wear shorts, except for the last night. So we did!

This is the first cruise we've done where we're not going to dress up for formal night. Rather looking forward to it.

Suitcase will be lighter that's for sure.

Kerri

We'll be cruising on the 25th. We're not packing formal clothes either and looking forward to it! It will be our first time not packing fromal wear. I have an issue with shoes so I'm also trying to pack only a few...we'll see how that goes.

I wished we hadn't. We had always cruised with Carnival and we chose to dress up but did get tired of it. With the itinerary of 7 days on an island, that gets tiring enough. If we had only known we could have brought back more chocolate mac nuts!

What is appropriate dress for a man and a 16 yr. old boy at the Jefferson Bistro?

We actually saw a man dine in basketball shorts :eek: and a jersey sleeveless shirt (that shiny material) I was like doing a double take along with my DH!

I would say smart casual - if your son just wears jeans and not dockers I think that would be just fine. :D

There is alot of confusion about this subject. I too was also worried about what wear. Ill be on the POA in October with a freind and her 9 yr old son. I was freaking out about what to wear for my self and then i was like hold on what is her son gonna wear.

There are lots of different views and i have read tons and are now more confused. So i am thinking of what i would wear in summer to a nice resturant, that or dressier. I'll be spending a few days in Honolulu before and after so i am trying to find some clothes that can perform double duty.

I read some where about the length or a skirt or dress but i wasnt sure if that was just for formal dining. Also there was something mentioned about no bare shoulders but again i think that was for formal night, but if anyone can verify. Man with a dress code like that i almost feel like i am back in private school lol

There is alot of confusion about this subject. I too was also worried about what wear. Ill be on the POA in October with a freind and her 9 yr old son. I was freaking out about what to wear for my self and then i was like hold on what is her son gonna wear.

There are lots of different views and i have read tons and are now more confused. So i am thinking of what i would wear in summer to a nice resturant, that or dressier. I'll be spending a few days in Honolulu before and after so i am trying to find some clothes that can perform double duty.

I read some where about the length or a skirt or dress but i wasnt sure if that was just for formal dining. Also there was something mentioned about no bare shoulders but again i think that was for formal night, but if anyone can verify. Man with a dress code like that i almost feel like i am back in private school lol

On POAM many woman wear sundresses, Hawaiian dresses, capri's etc... In Hawaii they are always saying "Hang Loose" It is casual dressy = DH wore Hawaiian shirts and dockers to dinner every night- I wore halter style tops, sundresses, slip on low heel cutsie sandals and never felt under dressed. I did not see much "formal wear" if any, as we know it on other ships. People were casually dressy for dinner where we ate in Liberty. Downstairs in Skyline is much more casual - ppl in shorts tank tops. It's Freestyle :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but I just want to be sure I have it 100%.

DH will be fine in Skyline Dining Room with nice shorts and shirt for any meal. Does not have to wear pants at dinner. Also, Skyline serves exact same food as Liberty, but just more casual.

Do I have it? He will love lightening up his suitcase with shorts. We will take long pants for Bistro Romance Package night.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I just want to be sure I have it 100%.

DH will be fine in Skyline Dining Room with nice shorts and shirt for any meal. Does not have to wear pants at dinner. Also, Skyline serves exact same food as Liberty, but just more casual.

Do I have it? He will love lightening up his suitcase with shorts. We will take long pants for Bistro Romance Package night.

Thanks!

Thank you for spelling it out--I'd like to be sure too.:p

I wore shorts every night in the Skyline restaurant. I had planned on nice jeans, because I heard ahead of time that was acceptable, but once we got on board and I asked at the restaurant, they were real clear shorts were fine. It's a lovely restaurant with great meal choices every night. We had absolutely no complaints. We all took one small or medium suitcase with jeans, shorts, and swimsuits.

• 3 months later...
I wore shorts every night in the Skyline restaurant. I had planned on nice jeans, because I heard ahead of time that was acceptable, but once we got on board and I asked at the restaurant, they were real clear shorts were fine. It's a lovely restaurant with great meal choices every night. We had absolutely no complaints. We all took one small or medium suitcase with jeans, shorts, and swimsuits.

Thanks, I am glad I found this thread I have been debating about the pants for DH...if he had to wear them that ment bringing along another pr of shoes too !!

Actually, they keep the dining rooms so cold that you might be uncomfortable in shorts. People on our sailing Nov 29-Dec 6 were wearing outer wear on top of their clothes they were so uncomfortable. At least bring a sweater. I did not see anyone wearing shorts in the main dining room during this PofA cruise.

Archived