Fll vs miami my questions

beach gramma

There are 4 of us who will be traveling to Florida in March. We plan on flying in to Florida and understand that it may be cheaper to fly into FLL rather than Miami. Our cruise leaves on Sunday so we will be staying overnight on Sat. After our cruise we plan on staying in Fll for about 5 days. Anyhow some of my questions are: will I be able to rent a car in FLL, at the airport and then drive to Miami either Sat night or Sun am and drop the car off somewhere in Miami? Also where will I be able to rent a car after we get off the ship? Or would it be cheaper to take some sort of shuttle service from FLL to Miami. How late to the shuttles run.? I think we may be getting in quite late on Sat evening. Just want any opinions on what might be the best way to go. also any thoughts pro or con re spending the night before the cruise in FLL or Miami. Any hotel recommendations? Thanks for any input>

It isn't always cheaper flying into FLL instead of Miami. Unless you are saving at least $150 a ticket, any savings can be eaten up by the commute.

I'd find out where you will be flying into before you freak yourself out with transportation details.

The easiest thing to do is rent a car.

I am not "freaking out" re transportation I am just trying to get some ideas so I will be able to make informed choices re airports and land transport. I thought that that was the purpose of this board.

I usually fly into FLL for cruises from either Port of Miami or FLL--it is generally much less expensive for me to do this. For four people, I would seriously consider hiring a private car to take you from FLL to the Port of Miami--cost per person including tip would be about $25 each--maybe a little less. For renting a car when you return from the cruise, we have taken a taxi from the port to pick up rental cars at the Miami airport--the taxi driver will take you directly to the rental facility.

There is another thread here with good reviews for one of the car companies--it is not the one that I use but the rates look good. One thing is for sure--it is much more comfortable and relaxing to use a car service than it is to take the shuttle.

This is the thread: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1015472

I am not "freaking out" re transportation I am just trying to get some ideas so I will be able to make informed choices re airports and land transport. I thought that that was the purpose of this board.

I didn't say you were freaking out. I said 'before you freak out'.

That said, transportation for four people will run you anywhere from $18-$25 per person each way so you are looking at up to $200 for transportation.

To me, I need to save at least $300 to make it worthwhile because I hate the PIA factor of commuting between FLL and MIA.

Sometimes the stress factor isn't really worth the amount of money you can save.

Archived