Berlin by car?

Hi, I just found this thread. I am interested in renting a car and drive around the area. We are arriving in Warnemunde Aug 15 by century, Celebrity 9:00 am -11.59pm. do you have any suggestinon on what to see and do?

Pen

Hi, I just found this thread. I am interested in renting a car and drive around the area. We are arriving in Warnemunde Aug 15 by century, Celebrity 9:00 am -11.59pm. do you have any suggestinon on what to see and do?

Pen

This is a very broad question. There is lots to see here, it really depends on what you are interested in. Rostock in itself is a very beautiful city. In the city center there is a bit to see with old churches and the city wall. If you want to get out of here, there are many options, but it really depends on what you want to see. Castles? Lakes? Other cities on the Baltic? Berlin?

We rented a car in Warnemunde, based on Heinbloed's directions, and didn't have any problems. We rented through Hertz. They told us that the car would need to be picked up in Rostock, but two days before our arrival, we called Hertz again and asked to have the car at the pier and it was there when we arrived. We docked at 8:00 and were on the road by 8:30. We had a great day in Berlin.

I tried to book thru Hertz but the problem was the day we will be in Warnemunde is Saturday and it's closed at noon. According to Heinbloed I should book during that period and once I get confimation I shall send e-mail to the local outlet there. Anyway, I instead just sent an e-mail and have not heard from them yet. How was your trip? Driving , parking , get lost?. We are not driving to Berlin but surrounding areas. Could you give more detail on your journey?

Thank you

Pen

I tried to book thru Hertz but the problem was the day we will be in Warnemunde is Saturday and it's closed at noon. According to Heinbloed I should book during that period and once I get confimation I shall send e-mail to the local outlet there. Anyway, I instead just sent an e-mail and have not heard from them yet. How was your trip? Driving , parking , get lost?. We are not driving to Berlin but surrounding areas. Could you give more detail on your journey?

Thank you

Pen

When I made the reservation they gave me the address to pick it up in Rostock, (which would have been a hassle, being I'd have to take the train and it would take some time) but when I called them a few days before we arrived in Warnemunde, I told them I wanted the car at the dock and they said no problem. I called the local Hertz in Germany, not the 1 800 number. The local number was on the confirmation that I received by e-mail.

I was originally concerned about dropping off the car and what to do with the keys, but the lady at the counter said that she would stay until the ships left the dock. There were two ships in and there were many people around. It was quite easy to do this. Several other people were renting cars as well. The Audobon was easy to drive, just be sure to use your blinker when changing lanes. Also, I would recommend to have your route worked out before you leave, since the lady at the counter was no help with directions. She didn't even have any maps left. The roads were clearly marked and we did not get lost.

Also, I would suggest that you bring coins for the parking meters.

Returning to the dock was very easy and VERY WELL marked. There were signs saying Warnemunde ship dock everywhere and we got right off the Audobon and within minutes we were at the ship. Good luck. It really was quite easy and we are glad we did it.

When I made the reservation they gave me the address to pick it up in Rostock, (which would have been a hassle, being I'd have to take the train and it would take some time) but when I called them a few days before we arrived in Warnemunde, I told them I wanted the car at the dock and they said no problem. I called the local Hertz in Germany, not the 1 800 number. The local number was on the confirmation that I received by e-mail.

I was originally concerned about dropping off the car and what to do with the keys, but the lady at the counter said that she would stay until the ships left the dock. There were two ships in and there were many people around. It was quite easy to do this. Several other people were renting cars as well. The Audobon was easy to drive, just be sure to use your blinker when changing lanes. Also, I would recommend to have your route worked out before you leave, since the lady at the counter was no help with directions. She didn't even have any maps left. The roads were clearly marked and we did not get lost.

Also, I would suggest that you bring coins for the parking meters.

Returning to the dock was very easy and VERY WELL marked. There were signs saying Warnemunde ship dock everywhere and we got right off the Audobon and within minutes we were at the ship. Good luck. It really was quite easy and we are glad we did it.

I think you gave good information. I'd like to add that american people should order cars with automatic transmission and GPS. These features

are not so common, especially in eastern part of Germany.

Good luck on the Autobahn and other roads.

I prefer to take the train this time, I hope more relaxing fo me.

These features are not so common, especially in eastern part of Germany.

Do you still have the idea that most Eastern German are using

Trabis

and

Wartburgs???

They use exactly the same car like in West Germany.

Maybe they have more cars with automatic transmission and GPS as they know that there are more American customers than at other places in Germany.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Do you still have the idea that most Eastern German are using

Trabis

and

Wartburgs???

They use exactly the same car like in West Germany.

Maybe they have more cars with automatic transmission and GPS as they know that there are more American customers than at other places in Germany.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I seriously doubt that that was his intention or meaning, and wonder why people with a different point of view often receive these sarcastic comments. All info and tips are valid and appreciated.

In comparison with the US, overall European cars are more often manual transmission than automatic... it is statistically true. FreenetHarry actually makes a VERY good point as some people are more comfortable with automatic, and since the majority of cars here aren't, it is nice to point out that such a wish should be made at the time of ordering.

With the excitement and large amounts of information that people have to deal with when planning a trip as involved as the Baltic... being reminded of little details like that can save a lot of aggravation.

Kudos Harry!

I seriously doubt that that was his intention or meaning, and wonder why people with a different point of view often receive these sarcastic comments. All info and tips are valid and appreciated.

In comparison with the US, overall European cars are more often manual transmission than automatic... it is statistically true. FreenetHarry actually makes a VERY good point as some people are more comfortable with automatic, and since the majority of cars here aren't, it is nice to point out that such a wish should be made at the time of ordering.

With the excitement and large amounts of information that people have to deal with when planning a trip as involved as the Baltic... being reminded of little details like that can save a lot of aggravation.

Kudos Harry!

It happens all over in Europe, maybe in most country in the rest of the World.

And not just East Germany!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Kudos Harry!

You are right Dave, It wasn't my intention do discriminate against my fellow citzen in the eastern part of Germany, there are some problems and I don't like to put more oil into fire.

I am not sure if my comment helped somebody but I am sure that Heinbloed's comment helped noboy.

Thanks Dave for defending me, may be we'll meet august 15. in Warnemuende or surrounding - you get one beer free.

Good luck with your new business.

http://sites.google.com/site/friendsofdavetours/Home/how-to-book-a-tour-experience-2

• 2 weeks later...
We rented a car in Warnemunde, based on Heinbloed's directions, and didn't have any problems. We rented through Hertz. They told us that the car would need to be picked up in Rostock, but two days before our arrival, we called Hertz again and asked to have the car at the pier and it was there when we arrived. We docked at 8:00 and were on the road by 8:30. We had a great day in Berlin.

What is the driving time to Berlin? Was it difficult navigating the city and finding parking? We have from 9am to nearly midnite docked in Warnemunde.

What is the driving time to Berlin? Was it difficult navigating the city and finding parking? We have from 9am to nearly midnite docked in Warnemunde.

Book an GPS and subject you are going on a weekday you might wwant to park at the city limits and use the subway to Berlin:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/04/berlin-germany-parking-at-city-limits.html

Depending to the time and date travel and if you are going to downtown or city limits: between 2 and 3 hours.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

We have a Garmin pre-loaded with Europe maps. DH knows how to save our parking location which was a blessing in Sevilla & Marbella!

My main worry about going to Berlin via rental car is that we might have a flat or other mishap that would cause us to miss the ship. On the other hand, the cruiseline excursions seem to have a lot of time-wasters built into the itinerary, e.g. a long lunch, mostly driving around Berlin in the bus...

We rented a car in Berlin pre cruise. The traffic was a nightmare!!!! Potsdam to the airport is a fairly short distance....took 1.5 hours. I suggest a tour or train!!!! We loved Sans Soucci at Potsdam...everything was wonderful until we tried to leave. We had a GPS system in the car...doesn't help if the traffic isn't moving. I suggest getting a GPS with any car rental in europe. It was a life saver for us as the maps aren't that accurate!!!!!

We rented a car in Berlin pre cruise. The traffic was a nightmare!!!! Potsdam to the airport is a fairly short distance....took 1.5 hours. I suggest a tour or train!!!! We loved Sans Soucci at Potsdam...everything was wonderful until we tried to leave. We had a GPS system in the car...doesn't help if the traffic isn't moving. I suggest getting a GPS with any car rental in europe. It was a life saver for us as the maps aren't that accurate!!!!!

It's important that you get a GPS version with

TMC

or

better TMCpro

and adjust GPS to this modus:

TMC:

The public radio stations + Automoblists club (like AAA) feed the system: actual known incidents influenced the routes and you get a suggestion to use a diverted route to get faster to your destination.

TMCpro:

The private radio stations feed ADDITIONALLY to TMC also forcasts of counters. There are counters along side of the route. They calculate if a congestion may approach or just disappear although it's still broadcasted.

This will help you to avoid such a situation while you are in Germany.

And you are right: Potsdam and Sanssoucis is beautiful:

2008PotsdamSans01-vi.jpg

2008PotsdamSans02-vi.jpg

2008PotsdamSans03-vi.jpg

2008PotsdamSans04-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived