Issue w/Customs returning from Conquest

When looking at the image of the notice happybooker1 was given, it states you should get a RFD enabled form of ID.

Do passports now have a chip in them so they can be read via a RFD?

Yes they do. My daughter just received her renewal one last week. There was a letter explaining about the chip.

Cheryl

IMHO, you do prison guards a disservice with that statement.

I agree. OT but we went on a cruise with friends who had a 2 year old and the customs agent (female) questioned the 2 year old so harshly about if those people were her parents that she was sobbing by the time we got out of the port. Sadly, they will never cruise again.

it would save alot of hassle, although admittedly , it wouldnt be fodder for the boards, if every one just went ahead and got a passport. You're dropping a couple grand on a cruise anyway, what's a couple hundred more to avoid problems. The passport is good for 10 years. Its not like it expires after one use.

I agree with you but many people will not do so until it becomes mandatory.

What I actually think should happen is one of two things:

1) Either the Homeland Security rules be changed to require passports period or

2) Carnival (and other cruise lines) institute a rule to require them to sail on their ships.

Then and only then will everyone get a passport. For some people, a couple hundred more is a major deal becasue they have scraped to come up with the cost of the cruise and anything more is just not doable.

(I have a passport and have had for years. I even convinced my brother to get one several years ago "just in case we ever win the lottery" so he was glad to have it when he decided to go on a cruise earlier this year.)

I agree with you but many people will not do so until it becomes mandatory.

What I actually think should happen is one of two things:

1) Either the Homeland Security rules be changed to require passports period or

2) Carnival (and other cruise lines) institute a rule to require them to sail on their ships.

Then and only then will everyone get a passport. For some people, a couple hundred more is a major deal becasue they have scraped to come up with the cost of the cruise and anything more is just not doable.

(I have a passport and have had for years. I even convinced my brother to get one several years ago "just in case we ever win the lottery" so he was glad to have it when he decided to go on a cruise earlier this year.)

Yeah, BUT... it was the cruise lines... ALL of 'em... that lobbied extensively for the 'closed loop' clause and with good reason.

That $100/pp is an amazing burden on folks who want a simple vacation at a good price. We have a number of folks who post here on a regular basis with families of eight and ten. $100 a pop and you start lookin' at staycations instead of vacations...

It stuns me that the US Government would require a $100 fee for it's own citizens to be able to return to this country.

Does ANYONE really think that the cost of a passport is the ACTUAL cost to the government? No way... it's just another tax.

:mad:

Yeah, BUT... it was the cruise lines... ALL of 'em... that lobbied extensively for the 'closed loop' clause and with good reason.

That $100/pp is an amazing burden on folks who want a simple vacation at a good price. We have a number of folks who post here on a regular basis with families of eight and ten. $100 a pop and you start lookin' at staycations instead of vacations...

It stuns me that the US Government would require a $100 fee for it's own citizens to be able to return to this country.

Does ANYONE really think that the cost of a passport is the ACTUAL cost to the government? No way... it's just another tax.

:mad:

I hear ya, last year when we "thought" the new law was gonna take affect, we got passports before our June cruise......over $400 for the 4 of us, that stunk. :mad:

I'm sure Carnival would have loved to have that extra $400 spent on the ship!!:p At least we don't have to worry about it anymore!!

Oh yeah, we all know there are tons of BS (I am assuming you mean illegals) pouring off cruise ships.

The OP was in full compliance with CURRENT regulations, but she and many others were being hassled. When you can explain that, I will welcome your opinion.

never said the OP wasn't in full compliance, just didn't like the reference to prison guards and really think people need to quit complaining about the "hassle" and then demand better border security at the same time.

that being said, sure the customs guy was rude to them. I get it. But he was dealing with 3000 people that day, they were dealing with 1.

I could care less if you welcome my opinion or not.

I hear ya, last year when we "thought" the new law was gonna take affect, we got passports before our June cruise......over $400 for the 4 of us, that stunk. :mad:

I'm sure Carnival would have loved to have that extra $400 spent on the ship!!:p At least we don't have to worry about it anymore!!

this is why the passport card was introduced as well, half the cost, roughly and specifically designed for closed loop and walk across traffic. But I do understand your point.

this is why the passport card was introduced as well, half the cost, roughly and specifically designed for closed loop and walk across traffic. But I do understand your point.

Right.:confused: If you are travelling with a passport card, for all practical purposes, you might as well be travelling with your birth certificate. It gives you no additional value. If ill or injured, you still could not fly back to the States.

Yesterday, I mailed my passport in to be renewed for the 5th? time. Closed loop, open loop, loop d loop, I don't care. Always have had a passport, always will have a passport. Too simple a solution??????

When looking at the image of the notice happybooker1 was given, it states you should get a RFD enabled form of ID.

Do passports now have a chip in them so they can be read via a RFD?

IF so, I did not realize that. A lot of business people I know keep them on them or near them (brief case) in the event of a very last minute trip out of the country. When my husband leaves on a business trip, he never knows if he will need his before he returns home. It always travels with him.

Actually it says "strongly recommends." My current passport is good 'til 2012, and does not have an RFD chip - although my wife's does, since she changed her name and had to get a new passport.

I've used my non-RFD passport on int'l flights last July as well as on a cruise last October. If my passport does -not- work on an upcoming cruise planned for this October (despite its being valid for three more years), well, I'll just let the board know when I blog from a CBP holding cell.... :D

never said the OP wasn't in full compliance, just didn't like the reference to prison guards and really think people need to quit complaining about the "hassle" and then demand better border security at the same time.

that being said, sure the customs guy was rude to them. I get it. But he was dealing with 3000 people that day, they were dealing with 1.

I could care less if you welcome my opinion or not.

I agree!

Yesterday, I mailed my passport in to be renewed for the 5th? time. Closed loop, open loop, loop d loop, I don't care. Always have had a passport, always will have a passport. Too simple a solution??????

Can't be any simpler IMO.........

I agree. OT but we went on a cruise with friends who had a 2 year old and the customs agent (female) questioned the 2 year old so harshly about if those people were her parents that she was sobbing by the time we got out of the port. Sadly, they will never cruise again.

This happen to me in Houston when the Conquest was sailing out of there after Ike. I was so freaking pissed that I wanted to snatch the guy by the neck and drag him to his supervisor's office.:mad: Being retired military I have been in and out of the country numerous times with my older kids and never had an issue with this. But I maintained my composure since I did not want to go to jail.:D The good part (actually bad part when she does it to me:D) about it is my 4 yo put him in his place after the third time of asking her if I was her father.

I got my first passport before our first cruise back in 2000 because I thought I thought I had to have one in order to travel to the Caribbean. Fast forward to 9/11. Our sons, then 14 and 11, were joining us for their first/our second cruise in Feb. 2002. Because the country was still in such upheaval and our oldest looked much older than 14, we got the boys passports, just to be on the safe side.

I have to admit that traveling has been MUCH easier with passports. We even use them when we just fly in the US. (We figure, also, that we might as well get our money's worth.) A quick swipe of the chip and we are headed to our destination.

I do think that this is a personal decision, and no one on this board should be pressured or ridiculed for his/her decision regarding obtaining passports.

Right.:confused: If you are travelling with a passport card, for all practical purposes, you might as well be travelling with your birth certificate. It gives you no additional value. If ill or injured, you still could not fly back to the States.

Which is why me and my wife got our passport as well. too many circumstances that could just play out and leave you stranded.

I have a passport from '05 without RFD chip, my fiancee has a newer one with the RFD chip. We've cruised on the passports and land crossed borders with them - not a problem not having the RFD chip. Passports are regarded as absolute (and best) proof of identity and citzenship - the RFD is just another layer of security they are phasing in - old passports are 'grandfathered' until they have all expired/come up for renewal.

Actually it says "strongly recommends." My current passport is good 'til 2012, and does not have an RFD chip - although my wife's does, since she changed her name and had to get a new passport.

I've used my non-RFD passport on int'l flights last July as well as on a cruise last October. If my passport does -not- work on an upcoming cruise planned for this October (despite its being valid for three more years), well, I'll just let the board know when I blog from a CBP holding cell.... :D

Quote:

"Originally Posted by sixgun8 viewpost.gif

I could care less if you welcome my opinion or not."

I agree!

Then why you give me such a hard time when I state my kind, and gentle, deeply thought out, and well considered opinion?

Why is dat?:confused::p

We took the family on New Year's cruise on Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. Myself, dh,dd,ds-in-law, granddaughters ages 2 & 7, and 2 ds.

We were told by Carnival they all had to have passports. Myself,dh and 1 ds already had passports, so we thought, since we were paying for trip what is about $500 more to get them all passports. My other concern was some of the excursion the older kids were doing. If someone got hurt they would need a passport to get out of the country. The agent in Galveston was very rude, but I also encountered this in a border town in Texas, My dh and I were in the valley and went across the border in Progresso. Stupid me did not want to carry purse, didn't think and left it in trunk of car. DH had cc and money. Coming back across they wanted DL, which they always do and guess what? I didn't have mine. Was detained for about 30 minutes and finally got to leave with a stern reprimand from the agent. DH could have crossed the street to parking lot and had my DL back in 5 minutes, but was not permitted to do so. My final opinion is just get a passport!!!

We waffled back and forth over whether to get a passport, passcard, or neither before our June 21 cruise on Conquest.

We finally just went ahead and got the passports.

Disembarkation at Galveston was the easiest by far of any of our cruises. We tipped a porter (read here on CC that they will get you in a shorter customs line), had to wait about 90 seconds for the person in front of us to clear, and we were through customs and on our way in probably three minutes.

Nothing major happened on our cruise to 'force' us to use our passports, but we are really glad we just went ahead and got them. And my DH is pretty dang stingy with his money :rolleyes: It was worth it to us, and now we have them for next time.

We took the family on New Year's cruise on Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. Myself, dh,dd,ds-in-law, granddaughters ages 2 & 7, and 2 ds.

We were told by Carnival they all had to have passports. Myself,dh and 1 ds already had passports, so we thought, since we were paying for trip what is about $500 more to get them all passports. My other concern was some of the excursion the older kids were doing. If someone got hurt they would need a passport to get out of the country. The agent in Galveston was very rude, but I also encountered this in a border town in Texas, My dh and I were in the valley and went across the border in Progresso. Stupid me did not want to carry purse, didn't think and left it in trunk of car. DH had cc and money. Coming back across they wanted DL, which they always do and guess what? I didn't have mine. Was detained for about 30 minutes and finally got to leave with a stern reprimand from the agent. DH could have crossed the street to parking lot and had my DL back in 5 minutes, but was not permitted to do so. My final opinion is just get a passport!!!

Border,,,,Progreso??????????????

Some other Progreso, not the cruise port??

Not the cruise port. It is a small border town between Harlingen and Mission, Texas. We have always liked it because you park in lot on US side and walk across bridge and you are in town. Sorry for confusion!!

Not the cruise port. It is a small border town between Harlingen and Mission, Texas. We have always liked it because you park in lot on US side and walk across bridge and you are in town. Sorry for confusion!!

Thanx!

I've completed my 27th year of being a deputy sheriff, and I would like to share some experience here. In EVERY profession, whether it is government or not, you have some serious a-holes, and some that will go the extra mile to help. That is just humans being humans. Teachers, doctors, CEO's, to janitors... All use different people with different personalities. I have seen rookies with attitudes, and I've seen 20+year veterans with the same attitude!

Life is a gamble... Unless you lock yourself in your closet and never exit, you are going to experience some rude people you would like to have fired or dismembered! LOL

Just deal with it when it happens, and then when it is over, just remember you were dealing with an individual with an attitude. I have seen my department ripped apart by the press for the actions of one person, but never show the actions of those that actually care.

We can gripe till the cows come home, and then gripe cause they came home, but there are still going to be rude people in EVERY occupation. They aren't going anywhere... Their purpose is to make your blood boil.

That, is just life...

PS... I am one of the good ones that goes out of my way to help people... so if you come speeding through my area, I'll smile and be nice the entire time I'm writing you up!!!!:D

You do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise and NO cruiseline would have allowed you to even board had you needed one. They were either... A. Stupid or B. just being Aholes asserting their own egos with power.

I've completed my 27th year of being a deputy sheriff, and I would like to share some experience here. In EVERY profession, whether it is government or not, you have some serious a-holes, and some that will go the extra mile to help. That is just humans being humans. Teachers, doctors, CEO's, to janitors... All use different people with different personalities. I have seen rookies with attitudes, and I've seen 20+year veterans with the same attitude!

Life is a gamble... Unless you lock yourself in your closet and never exit, you are going to experience some rude people you would like to have fired or dismembered! LOL

Just deal with it when it happens, and then when it is over, just remember you were dealing with an individual with an attitude. I have seen my department ripped apart by the press for the actions of one person, but never show the actions of those that actually care.

We can gripe till the cows come home, and then gripe cause they came home, but there are still going to be rude people in EVERY occupation. They aren't going anywhere... Their purpose is to make your blood boil.

That, is just life...

PS... I am one of the good ones that goes out of my way to help people... so if you come speeding through my area, I'll smile and be nice the entire time I'm writing you up!!!!:D

But here is the deal. I travel fairly frequently. I can remember several indifferent "officials" but I fail to remember even one you could have remotely called pleasant. EXCEPT when we crossed into Canada from Alaska. They were both pleasant and cheerful on the Canadian side. We still talk about it and that has been a long time ago. Crossing back to Alaska at the same place, total A$$Holes on the US side. We decided our border patrol is not helping our image with visitors from other countries.

I will be going to London soon. I will let you know how I am treated over there.

.... about an 'enhanced' DL. I just have a regular one. The Customs official had to type in some things into his computer from my BC and DL and then get some kind of response (don't know what it was -- likely saying yes, I was alive and who I said I was), before he (unsmilingly) sent us on our way. I said (still trying to get on his 'good' side) "Well I sure am glad I was in the computer!"

He responded "You'd better be. Or y'all would still be here tonight trying to get in.."

What an A-hole! He's a cop wannabe.. :rolleyes:

Give a jerk a badge and a gun and this is what you get.. a jerk on a power trip.. Very said for all the hard working Cops and Custom Officers...

Archived