Issue w/Customs returning from Conquest

Will have a trip report later. We returned to Galveston Sunday from the Carnival Conquest 7-day trip. A CLOSED LOOP TRIP!!

DS had his passport; I had DL and Birth certificate. The line was long, even though we did self-assist disembark. (We would have gotten off sooner but DS HAD to have his last b'fast on ship and of course as soon as we got into line they called OUR DECK to disembark FIRST-- but I digress!)

Line moved slowly. When we got up to the counter, DS remarked something like "Finally! It was a long wait!"

The Customs official said "Yeah, it's all the people with the birth certificates holding up the line. They're in non-compliance with the new rules." He was very grim.

Smiling, I whipped out our documents. 'Like mine?" I laughed. He looked up, tore a sheet off a pad, slapped it on the counter and said "Yeah, like you. You're in non-compliance with the new rules. You need a passport as of June 1." Too shocked to speak by his attitude and (what *I* had been told) the wrong statement, I just left it at that. He ran my birth certificate through their computers (took about 5 minutes) and we left.

The paper he gave me had "YOU ARE NON-COMPLIANT WITH BORDER SECURITY" written at the top, and a bunch of other legal stuff on how to get a passport and now one was required.

So---- what gives? What's up with all that? Do they not read their own rules?? I didn't talk to anyone else to see if it happened in their line or not.

Sorry you had to deal with that! I'm taking my passport and marriage certificate because my passport has my maiden name...hopefully it wont be an issue!

Also, wanted to ask....if you have copies of the capers from your cruise would you mind posting or emailing them. I'd really appreciate it! kandisandgreg@gmail.com

Actually, Isla Roatan is an island in the Gulf of Honduras. Belize is not an island at all, it is a country in Central America. Technically speaking, of course.

Roatan is a part of Honduras.

Ambergris Cay is a part of Belize

Puerto Rico is a part of the United States

The former are all islands in the caribbean, the later are all mainland nations.

Roatan is a part of Honduras.

Ambergris Cay is a part of Belize

Puerto Rico is a part of the United States

The former are all islands in the caribbean, the later are all mainland nations.

I agree, Roatan is an island, which is part of Honduras. However, if you look at a detailed Caribbean map, Roatan is located in the Gulf of Honduras (not the Caribbean). The fact that it is not located in the Caribbean and it is a part of Honduras (a Central American country), adds more credibility to the fact that it is not covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

This topic has been beaten to death on other threads. It was not my intention to "stir the pot", simply trying to show how information is different, depending on whether you look on the Customs/Border Patrol website, the Dept. of Homeland Security website, or the State Dept. website. People should be prepared for any and all reactions from Border Patrol, since they ultimately are the ones who decide who gets into the country.

Next time take documentation and show it to the customs agent...It would be funny to see the look on his/her face when he/she realizes he/she doesn't know the rule on birth certs....lol

Will have a trip report later. We returned to Galveston Sunday from the Carnival Conquest 7-day trip. A CLOSED LOOP TRIP!!

DS had his passport; I had DL and Birth certificate. The line was long, even though we did self-assist disembark. (We would have gotten off sooner but DS HAD to have his last b'fast on ship and of course as soon as we got into line they called OUR DECK to disembark FIRST-- but I digress!)

Line moved slowly. When we got up to the counter, DS remarked something like "Finally! It was a long wait!"

The Customs official said "Yeah, it's all the people with the birth certificates holding up the line. They're in non-compliance with the new rules." He was very grim.

Smiling, I whipped out our documents. 'Like mine?" I laughed. He looked up, tore a sheet off a pad, slapped it on the counter and said "Yeah, like you. You're in non-compliance with the new rules. You need a passport as of June 1." Too shocked to speak by his attitude and (what *I* had been told) the wrong statement, I just left it at that. He ran my birth certificate through their computers (took about 5 minutes) and we left.

The paper he gave me had "YOU ARE NON-COMPLIANT WITH BORDER SECURITY" written at the top, and a bunch of other legal stuff on how to get a passport and now one was required.

So---- what gives? What's up with all that? Do they not read their own rules?? I didn't talk to anyone else to see if it happened in their line or not.

I agree, Roatan is an island, which is part of Honduras. However, if you look at a detailed Caribbean map, Roatan is located in the Gulf of Honduras (not the Caribbean). The fact that it is not located in the Caribbean and it is a part of Honduras (a Central American country), adds more credibility to the fact that it is not covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

We agree on one thing, this topic has been beaten to death.

From Encyclopedia Britannica:

Gulf of Honduras

gulf, Caribbean Seaalso called Bay of Honduras Main

wide inlet of the Caribbean Sea, indenting the coasts of Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. It extends from Dangriga (formerly Stann Creek), Belize, southeastward to La Ceiba, Hond.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/270806/Gulf-of-Honduras

From Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: Honduras, Gulf of Function:geographical name inlet of the Caribbean between S Belize, E Guatemala, & N Honduras

There are thousands of others, google is your friend. :)

Next time take documentation and show it to the customs agent...It would be funny to see the look on his/her face when he/she realizes he/she doesn't know the rule on birth certs....lol

Whoever posted the link to the actual document - thank you. I have printed out the pages that pertain to the law for closed loop cruises and will be taking it with me. Much cheaper than buying a passport for us - IMO.

I have also noticed something in browsing through that long 150 page document. Do you know what it says? That a government issued photo id and an original or COPY of a birth certificate are necessary. That is the law - it doesn't state certified copy - just says copy. I will be taking my originals just in case, but it is interesting that the law itself states a copy is sufficient.

Also, just my .02 regarding emergencies - there was a thread on here that discussed a different website (which I visited and saw the letters) that even if there is an emergency, the border patrol cannot deny re-entry to the United States provided you have your birth certificate and driver's license. It may take a little while for them to verify the information is true and correct, but they cannot deny re-entry to a citizen. The letter came directly from a higher up with the WHTI...just my .02 - ducking for cover now :)

Archived