Anyone going on the 14th July 09?

sinner

This will be my first cruise, and have no clue about anything going with my mother for a cruise and stay so if anyone could give me info

what its like

Is there singles on cruise's

is it worth taking the AI upgrade

Is the food ok

loads more but will read see if i can find out first :)

mum is 80 this year and i am 43 year old guy talked into going lol

thanks to all who reply.

Hi there

We're on the Island Escape on the 14th also.

We've not been on the Island Escape before , but have been on many Thomson Cruises. What to expect, well where to start, a bit of an adventure really.

Basically you seem to be on the go from the moment you board, never seems like enough time. Some describe it as a bit like Butlins-on-sea, but don't let that put you off. It's just that there are loads of shows and games and the like. You can take them or leave them. Cruises tend to be much more sociable than hotel holidays, fellow passengers do actually talk to you. You will find elasticated pants a help because everyone always eats far too much, as food is always there to be had. I believe the IE food is of good standard, and average weight gain is 1/2 stone.

As far as the AI upgrade, it depends how large your alcohol consumption is. I think the AI package is quite expensive now. Once upon a time is was pretty good value, but not so sure about that for myself as a more modest drinker. Drinks are approx same price as at home so you can work it out for yourself

Have come across singles before on Thomson cruises, again because you always get talking to fellow passengers that can be advantageous, and because your're always on the go, it would seem less uncomfortable than being on your own at a hotel etc.

You will find that the age range of other passengers will be closer to your Mums age. Seems retired people have more money as well as spare time. Hey I'm not bitter. But that said cruising has gradually become more popular among us younger people.

Feel free to fire off any further questions.

Having just returned from 2 weeks on the IE I can tell you that the Strongbow is now on the All inclusive list :D but if you had to pay for it it would cost £2.95 a pint of Boddingtons £2.90 Stella £2.90 Cocktails were £2.60.

The bars are:

English Pub Sundowner

Mirage Bar

Sailaway Bar

Lookout Lounge

Cafe Brasil

Ocean Theatre

Bounty Lounge

Champions Bar

Last week there was a lot of Youngsters on board (150 kids) plus a good mix of people of all ages, everybody seemed to get on well.

2 comedians were very very good. Josh Daniels & Carl Schofield with an assortment of singers/tribute. plus the Shows on Cabaret acts were excellent.

Watch out For Russ Roberts Cruise Entertaiments Director ..gay or what lol but a very funny entertainer indeed

But most of all the staff/waiters etc.........what can I say BRILLIANT, some even remembered us from last year and made our 2 week stay very enjoyable.

The weather was wall to wall sunshine for the whole 2 weeks

The Captain has an Excellent sense of Humour John Clark or JC as he was known from the Former Island Star.

It was that Good we have booked again for next year..lat week June 1st week July, :p

thanks for the replys think i will not bother with the AI as i dont drink that much :) but it a bummer about the food lol i have just lost a stone looks like its going back on :(

Archived