Dawn - Bumpy Start to a Holiday Cruise !

shoreguy

In the words of one of the crew aboard the Dawn, 'the sea is really rocky'.

Still wish I were there. I got a great webshot of her in berth before her last cruise from the Empire State webcam, but have no idea how to post it.

In the words of one of the crew aboard the Dawn, 'the sea is really rocky'.

Still wish I were there. I got a great webshot of her in berth before her last cruise from the Empire State webcam, but have no idea how to post it.

Attached is the last shot I captured today. Fin if you want to post a picture from EPS you need to resize it and use the Manage Attachments button below the posting window.

Should be no problem getting a reservation in the Bistro tonight :eek:

dawn1220408pm.jpg.57fca31abb5f9c624346cc3ac94bc4d8.jpg

I have to laugh because we were on the Dawn in November of 2003. The seas in these photos look exactly like what we experienced at that time. We were really "rockin' and rollin'. It was our first cruise and none of us became seasick which was a miracle. We were told by staff members that it was the rockiest they had experienced and if it didn't bother us we would be able to cruise in anything. Up until now we thought the Atlantic always looked that way! We'll be on the Dawn again in the spring so I'm very interested in seeing the difference.

We were on the January 15th sailing of the dawn when the temps in New York were in the single digits. On the way home we sailed thru a Nor'easter. The wind was so strong that the captian closed off all the outside decks. The waves were so big that the spray was hitting the windows of the Spinnecker Lounge (deck 12). When we got home the Hudson river was frozen and it took almost an hour for the ship to dock at the pier due to the ice. It was a bumpy ride home but we are looking forward to boarding again on Dec. 30th.

Eiy yi yi! :eek: Brings back memories of our wild ride home from Bermuda! I'll bet next week there'll be a flurry of reports here! Thanks for keeping us up to date, Shoreguy - you're a peach.

As bad as your wild ride was it did not look as bad on the Webcam. :eek:

RPcruiser, I wonder what the balcony rooms were like on Decks 8 and up if the spray was hitting the windows in the lounge? It must have been hard to sleep!

Oh gee! :eek:

We are going end of January. Is this what the sea is like in the winter??? I better pack some extra Bonnie. I wear the "SeaBands" and they worked last time I used them....but the sea was not as rough as I am seeing here. :(

I'm not sure where you're from, but those pictures were from Monday. Sunday night into Monday there was a big storm out at sea off the East Coast. NY and NJ didn't have much snow, but from what I understand the real problem was "out there." Maybe that's why it was so rough. It may be fine when you go.

RPcruiser, I wonder what the balcony rooms were like on Decks 8 and up if the spray was hitting the windows in the lounge? It must have been hard to sleep!

Last Friday night on our return home from the Dawn's 10 day cruise, the seas were termed rough at 7.5' to 12', but what was worse was the wind. We had similar conditions on our first night going down, and had our balcony door open a bit, and it wasn't too bad. On the way back, however, the chairs on the balcony were rocking around, and because we had adjoining rooms, the door between the two balconies was slamming against one of the chairs. On top of that, there was a lound whistleing noise somewhere outside, and some heavy drafts inside. For most of the cruise, the sound of the water crashing against the ship was nice to listen to as we went off to sleep. On the two "morning afters" there were some bags around the ship "in case", but I didn't see anyone take sick. I'm sure there were many that took to their rooms, but it seemed to be tolerable for most.

After seeing those pictures from the Bridge, it will be interesting to hear from some of those on board.

Incidentally... I'm next up, and I will do a day by day review live from the ship like last year... So if there are bad sea conditions you'll hear about it first hand.

Looking forward to the live reports. If the clock on the webcam is not fixed by the time you go please tell someone. It is driving me nuts :rolleyes:

They turned it ahead one hour at the end of daylight time and remains two hours fast. Just a little quality thing that can be seen by the world. I mentioned it on the rollcall to those onboard now. Let's see what happens.

Have a graet cruise. You have a great cabin and hopefully the big question will go off as planned :cool:

Smooth sailing

We had a mini suite on deck 11. The water didn't splash on the balcony, but they were covered in salt the next morning. Sleeping wasn't to much of a problem (actually I like the slight rocking), but every once and a while a big wave would slam into the side of the ship making a loud bang. All and all everyone made the best of things. We love the trip so much were are going again next week. Chris, we will see you on board. Lets hope for smoother sailing.

Hey shoreguy, thanks for the kind words... My friend Dave will be sailing with you on 2/10..Just got him in an obstructed view category g I believe.. I doubt he'll post here.

If he does not want to post that's fine. Let Dave no he is welcome to join the pack in the Star Bar around 6 pm for a sail away cocktail. If he introduces himself as friend of yours I will buy them a drink.

I can see it now 50 people finding me and saying there name is Dave and friend of Chris :D

Thanks for sharing that one, ShoreGuy!

Now I'm certain we'll be hearing lots of horror stories starting sometime Sunday night, if not before. Holy Cow! That shot is simply amazing, and definately looks MUCH worse than our ride in October. Glad I'm not a crewmember on that ship, as they probably have a lot of unhappy cruisers to deal with. :(

I hope the rest of their cruise goes smoothly!

Archived