Dawn - Bumpy Start to a Holiday Cruise !

shoreguy

I gave dave the address of the site.. This will be his first cruise.. He is 22 ( a year younger than me) and his gf is like 19 or 20 .. She has been loving my get alcohol tips..I told him he should really stop by the board, so he can get some more info on ncl and cruising... Only time will tell i suppose.

I gave dave the address of the site.. This will be his first cruise.. He is 22 ( a year younger than me) and his gf is like 19 or 20 .. She has been loving my get alcohol tips..I told him he should really stop by the board, so he can get some more info on ncl and cruising... Only time will tell i suppose.
What alcohol tips do you have for a 20 year old cruising with her boyfriend who's 24? I saw the posting a few days back suggesting that those who are underage switch and use a parent's card.. but I am curious what I can do when the only other person I will know on the cruise is my boyfriend who will likely be with me 95% of the time. Will it be a problem if I have him buy drinks for me? I'm not much of a drinker.. but I know I will want to celebrate a little on New Years and whatnot and would like to avoid any problems..

What alcohol tips do you have for a 20 year old cruising with her boyfriend who's 24? I saw the posting a few days back suggesting that those who are underage switch and use a parent's card.. but I am curious what I can do when the only other person I will know on the cruise is my boyfriend who will likely be with me 95% of the time. Will it be a problem if I have him buy drinks for me? I'm not much of a drinker.. but I know I will want to celebrate a little on New Years and whatnot and would like to avoid any problems..

On my 4 cruises, all on NCL, I have yet to notice anyone "carded". Of course it will depend on how old you look, but with so many waitpersons onboard, you may not have a problem at all. I've also not been in too many situations where someone might be carded, but the scenarios you will be in are not like the local nightclub or hot bar, where management is very concern about being busted by the local police or State liquor authorities.

Good luck!

(Of course, abusing the use of alchol will certainly draw attention to your age, so even though you are not driving home, drink senseably - your "fatherly" advice for the day!!)

during the trip, but sitting at the computer while the chairs were trying to come out from under us was a bit hard.

I've posted elsewhere about the ride down. The first day was the worst, but the second day got better. Even so, had we not had the first day, folks would probably have been seasick on the second. On the way back, Tuesday (first day at sea) was another wild and wacky day at sea, Weds. was much calmer. That's interesting because we were obviously farther south on the first day coming back. Watching the pool waves was enough to make one seasick even if the sea itself didn't seem so bad.

Even though it was rough and a bad first day out, it didn't seem to affect the mood of the passengers later on in the trip. Everyone just seemed relieved to be away from the cold nasty weather you all had while we were gone.

We were on this cruise and the seas were very rocky. My daughter actually got sick and I was in bed for most of the day. My husband and son were the only ones who were not affected by it. If I remember correctly, there were 42 foot seas! Just glad it was only one day. Great cruise nonetheless.

We were on this cruise and the seas were very rocky. My daughter actually got sick and I was in bed for most of the day. My husband and son were the only ones who were not affected by it. If I remember correctly, there were 42 foot seas! Just glad it was only one day. Great cruise nonetheless.

Oh now your making me nervous! :eek: 42 foot waves??? :eek: I was starting to get all excited about cruising next month now I am getting seasick before I even see water. :(

Uneamie,

Take 10 deep breaths and relax. You have to put your faith in the Captains and Officers that are running the ship. They are experienced and know what they are doing. Although they had gone through some very rough water they all made out fine. Im sure this ship can handle alot worse and I would hate to think that instead of wanting to run on the ship you are standing at the pier with someone behind you pushing you on.

You are going to have a fabulous time on your trip, there are just to many things to see and do for you not to be absorbed in it all.

So just take in all the possitives on the boards and skip over the things that are making you scared.

Joanne

This shot was emailed to me. It would have been at 5:08 PM on Monday.

I am sure now that the Bistro was empty ;)

Good afternoon everyone and happy new year.

Here's the "official" scoop on the Dec 20th storm at sea on the Dawn (I was on the ship - fortunately I did not get sick but wasn't exactly feeling great!):

The seas that afternoon were very rough with wave heights of 25 - 42 feet. I spoke with an officer on the Dawn Tuesday afternoon and he indicated to me that this was the worst he has seen on the Dawn in its 2 year history. To quote George from "Seinfeld" in an episode: "The seas were angry that day my friend!"

According to this officer, the intensity of the storm took the bridge crew by surprise and the forecasts didn't indicate it would be as bad as it was. The picture posted by Shoreguy was probably taken around 5:30pm (the webcam clock is still off) - according to the bridge, at around that time, one wave did indeed crash over the bow of the ship. Had the forecast accurately predicted the severity of the storm, the officer said the Captain would have either turned back to NY or pulled into Baltimore to ride it out, losing a day at sea and probably at least one port.

I have to say though that the weather from Tuesday on more than made up for the storm on that Monday.

If anyone wants to ask me anything specific about the ship or the Dec 19-30 cruise, feel free to drop me an email (warpdrve_at_yahoo_dot_com). Indicate in the subject that you are from cruise-critic so that I won't delete the email thinking it was unfiltered junk mail.

Regards - Michael

Archived