Romantic Beachside Dining in Oranjestad?

2tsquared

My dh and I are cruising on Zuiderdam in mid-January 2010. We will be in Oranjestad on Friday, Jan 15th and are looking for a great beachside restaurant for a romantic dinner. I have read about Marandi Restaurant on TripAdvisor and wonder if any fellow cruisers have eaten at Marandi or does anyone have additional/better recommendations? Thanks!

Marandi is on the water but not on the beach. Just so you are aware, it is NOT in downtown Oranjestad, it is south of the airport. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.4943617&lon=-70.0124359&z=14&l=0&m=b

Passions at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort is the closest beach dining to the cruise terminal. We had dinner there on June 20 for the second time is was wonderful as it was the first time.

A taxi from the cruise terminal would be approximately $9 each way to Passions and $17 each way to Marandi.

Lisa, thank you for the quick response and information. We'll definitely check out Passions -- it sounds like the perfect place to enjoy our evening in Aruba. I'll also review your link regarding "what to do" in Aruba.

A personal note: I see you are a "kitty" person! My hubby and I are volunteers for the Humane Assn here in Nashville and cats are our specialty! :D

Thanks again.

Terry

Lisa, thank you for the quick response and information. We'll definitely check out Passions -- it sounds like the perfect place to enjoy our evening in Aruba. I'll also review your link regarding "what to do" in Aruba.
We suggested Passions to our friends for their anniversary and they loved it. My favorites are their crab salad and filet mignon. Dd and dh love their shrimp.

No matter where you decide to go, if you wish to watch the sunset, make your reservation for about a half hour before sunset which will be approximately 6:34 PM in mid-January. Being closer to the equator, the sun goes down very quickly in Aruba.

A personal note: I see you are a "kitty" person! My hubby and I are volunteers for the Humane Assn here in Nashville and cats are our specialty! :D

Thanks again.

Terry

Thank you! for what you are doing! :) We are owned by 8 indoor cats :D, all former strays. 6 rescued from our wooded backyard which backs up to a conservation area. Evidently a popular "dumping" area. :( :mad:

No matter where you decide to go, if you wish to watch the sunset, make your reservation for about a half hour before sunset which will be approximately 6:34 PM in mid-January. Being closer to the equator, the sun goes down very quickly in Aruba.

Will do! I saved their website link and will make a reservation "now."

Thank you! for what you are doing! :) We are owned by 8 indoor cats :D, all former strays. 6 rescued from our wooded backyard which backs up to a conservation area. Evidently a popular "dumping" area. :( :mad:

I know -- it's so sad. The state of the economy isn't helping either. We receive numerous cats and dogs each week from people who can no longer afford to keep their pets. I just wish people would realize that their pets need to be turned in instead of dumped! :(

I'm sure we'll be corresponding again soon so you can help us to discover and enjoy "the best" of Aruba!

• 2 weeks later...

You absolutely MUST go to Flying Fishbone. The entire "restaurant" is on the beach (just east of Oranjestad, perhaps a 5-10 minute taxi ride).

The food is insanely good. And your feet will feel the surf from the Caribbean Sea as you dine. It is an other-worldly experience, one of my top handful of restaurants in the world.

I cannot recommend it enough. DW and I dined there in 2001, and my parents visited last year.

Great photos, menu, reservation availability and other information can be found here:

http://www.flyingfishbone.com/index.html

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our honeymoon in Aruba on Sunday. We went to the Old Man and the Sea Restaurant. Beach dining which was very romantic and good-but the taxi fare was $28 each way. Ouch!

Also tried the Sunset Beach Bistro-EXCELLENT -up near the high rises!!!! We had a 7 pm reservation and saw a gorgeous sunset while wiggling our toes in the sand. The food was superb and it was also incredibly romantic. (Took a bus there for $1.30.) The restaurant offers a three course mix and match menu for $35. (I had escargot, a seafood medley to die for and a wonderful apple/carmel/ ice cream concoction). I would recommend this to anyone who wants a scrumptious, romantic dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I love both. :o

Passions is a little more intimate and the taxi fare is MUCH less.

Flying Fishbone has an edge in the food department.

If food is of the utmost importance, the Screaming Eagle is located near Passions on Eagle Beach and is owned by the same owners as the FFB, thus same quality food. Another one of our top 4 favorites.

Taxi fares from Oranjestad, figure about $20 rt to Passions and $52 rt to the FFB.

Archived